tomb22

Re: 64 big block comet

Post by tomb22 »

frodaddy wrote:
tomb22 wrote:Awesome build Thanks for the great pictures
thanks
looks like yours is coming what color are you painting it
Jeff
Bright red. I saw a 56 Chevy painted Viper Red on top of white sealer parked next to a truck that was painted Viper Red on top of grey sealer. I couldn't believe the difference. So I'm leaning towards the Viper Red on top of white sealer
tomb's 65

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

frodaddy wrote:ImageImage[/img]
Its been a long 12 months but i see the light
WOW! Looks awesome! Love the wheels.

Ya did good for twelve months,,,real good.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

tomb22 wrote:
Bright red. I saw a 56 Chevy painted Viper Red on top of white sealer parked next to a truck that was painted Viper Red on top of grey sealer. I couldn't believe the difference. So I'm leaning towards the Viper Red on top of white sealer
Car is looking good. The color of the sealer should not affect the final color of the paint. We're the car and truck painted the same brand paint? The only time the sealer or primer color affect the final color is when their is not enough coverage/coats of the final color.

To be sure of how many coats it takes for coverage and to get the true color of the paint you do a "spray out" card.
The ones I used go from white to black with a light, medium and dark gray stripe inbetween the white and black stripe. Others are like this one.

https://www.qpaints.co.uk/painting/tool ... f-100.html

You mix the paint, setup your gun and spray the card. Keep track of how many coats of paint it takes till you can't see the pattern on the card, and the color looks the same shade over the whole card. ( check card inside and in sunlight to make sure of coverage) Then you know how many Coates it takes for full coverage and get the true color of paint.

Obviously black does it pretty quick but other colors such as red, orange and esp yellow take more coats to get coverage. Sometime twice as many, esp with cheaper paints.

Better/more expensive paint gives better color, (and coverage) "pops" more and just looks better. Even black. If you take high end ppg DBC black and compare it to the cheaper ppg omni or Shopline black, the DBC black makes the other ones look almost gray.

Now tri-coats, pearls, candies, flip-flop and such the final color is effected by what is under it, but that is not usually a primer or sealer, it is a base color then tint, candy, etc is sprayed over the base.

JMO,,,,,Unless you feel you need sealer I would save the money from the sealer and put it toward better paint which would give you better color.

Viper red is my fav. Was originally what I was going to paint my Comet before I decided black.

Lou

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Viper red is my fav. Was originally what I was going to paint my Comet before I decided black.

Lou
Thanks Lou for the information and advise. I was just at the Street Machine Nationals in St. Paul and saw some very nice looking red cars that were painted Viper Red. When asked if they had white sealer under, they said no.
tomb's 65