SPEEDO DRIVE GEAR: OLD CUNUMDRUM; NEW SEARCH

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
thos25

SPEEDO DRIVE GEAR: OLD CUNUMDRUM; NEW SEARCH

Post by thos25 »

Hey Guys, I have posted this problem several times in the past and have always received great replies! The problem is that I have either tried the suggestions several time and have just about run out of websites inquiring about a solution for my problem. I cannot find a drive gear for my T-10. I have it in a 65 CYCLONE that is completely restored; except that I have no speedometer. This quest for the correct drive gear is now 6 years old!! I am finally using an electronic speedo for driving and I just unplug it and put it in the console for shows. My search has revealed that some GALAXYS, FAIRLANES and COMETS built between 1963 and 1965 used a drive gear of a larger diameter than say other T-10s and TOPLOADERS. Is there any hope of finally finding a correct drive gear so I can finally have a functioning speedo or should I just quit "spitting "into the wind? C'MON GUYS YOU ARE MY LAST HOPE!!!
KIND REGARDS TO ALL!
TOM :?

poboyjo65

Re: SPEEDO DRIVE GEAR: OLD CUNUMDRUM; NEW SEARCH

Post by poboyjo65 »

A toploader would be a much better trans,especially the 28 spline. If there was such a gear it's gonna be hard to find.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I remember you going through this. Give us a run down on the whole saga of what you have tried ,what wont work,all of it. have you contacted any speedo pros? Is it possible you have a chevy gear in it?
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Drive gears for a T10 are pretty rare and hard to find. Don't know if I can help but i do have one unfortunately it's for a trans with the speedo on the left side and you probably need one for the right side. It was on the trans that came in my ranchero. I'm pretty sure it's not the original trans but rather one somebody put together with pieces from more than one trans. I think the gear is a 6 tooth but of course it turns the speedo driven gear the wrong way. Or at least it tried to even though it buggered up the correct driven gear. If a person could find a tailhousing with the speedo on the left side then it would probably work. Don't know what had it on the drivers side, fords are normally on the pass side AFAIK. Maybe something for a gm or chrysler.
I ended up modifying the output port and used a gear meant for a smaller driven gear. Did some jurry rigging to get it to work. Should work as I modified it but have never tried it.
I think I have a second gear but it is also not for this trans though it is a bw part. Also too small.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

if RON can't come up with a workable solution,,you may up the creek with out a paddle....all your cows left the farm and ain't coming home :roll: :lol:
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Tom last time you brought this up I suggested a kit sold on eBay with a standard black speedo gear and an adapter ring. Did you try those parts? http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... 081#p69081

The kit is still available on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/152385886625

Would the spacer ring solve your problem? By using the standard black toploader drive gear you could use the standard toploader driven gear and forget about the special size nonsense. If not maybe you can contact the seller with your needs.

Like John said let us know what you've tried and what didn't work.

Also, the last thread you started you never finished. You didn't say whether you tried the suggestions or not. We can't help if you don't follow up. Besides, by following up on a fix or no fix it helps the next guy with the same questions.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

If the T10 has a 1.24" shaft as listed for the part then this should fix the problem. The plus here is the black gear is probably for a ford 4 speed and is reduced by the sleeve to fit the t10 shaft. That's good to know.
I would have to measure the gear I have to confirm the shaft size.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:Tom last time you brought this up I suggested a kit sold on eBay with a standard black speedo gear and an adapter ring. Did you try those parts? http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... 081#p69081

Would the spacer ring solve your problem? By using the standard black toploader drive gear you could use the standard toploader driven gear and forget about the special size nonsense. If not maybe you can contact the seller with your needs.

Also, the last thread you started you never finished. You didn't say whether you tried the suggestions or not. We can't help if you don't follow up. Besides, by following up on a fix or no fix it helps the next guy with the same questions.

Joe
I agree! :D If it dont work you can send it back!
Johno

albert

Post by albert »

Call or contact Modern Driveline and tell them your problem, they are very knowledgeable about speedo issues and transmissions for our cars and may have a solution. http://www.moderndriveline.com I used them for my T5 Tremec conversion and we used an S10 tailshaft with the speedo on the right
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:Tom last time you brought this up I suggested a kit sold on eBay with a standard black speedo gear and an adapter ring. Did you try those parts? http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... 081#p69081

Joe
Johno

thos25

Post by thos25 »

Hi Again Guys, Thanks to most of you for your timely suggestions and comments. As I said I did follow all of the earlier suggestions and talked to, via telephone at least 2 or 3 dozen BW parts suppliers, etc. My first stab was the ring that you guys suggested and I was sure I had cracked the code. I bought one and had my mechanic insert it into the Top Loader drive. It fit the BW shaft like a glove but DID NOT increase the OD of the gear so it made contact with the driven gear and this is the problem. This experiment cost a couple of hundred dollars with 0 results. I am 75 yo and I don't do the under car thing any longer so it was pay for some one with a lift.
My best lead came from DAVIN KEES TOPLOADERS AND DAN WILLIAMS TOP LOADERS. Both told me in the course of long telephone conversations that there were several FORD products built between 63 and 65 or 66 that used the gear that I need but to their knowledge these gears are not reproduced. I continued searching several of their suggested sites to no avail. My hope now is that I may stumble upon someone who has one of these babies so I have been crawling the web and advertising in publications such as HEMMINGS and others but so far only silence.
Some of the site I have visited and in most cases spoke with reps are:
DAVID KEE
DANWILLIAMS
PATC
MIDWEST TRANNIES
BORG WARNER HOME PAGE
SUMMIT
KAJUN ENTERPRISES
DRIVETRAIN. COM
There are many more but you get the idea. Again, I REALLY appreciate you guys , however some replies that seem to be more directed to being funny or making the responder sound knowledgeable are really not serving any purpose!

AGAIN THANK YOU AND KIND REGARDS, TOM
PS I'm STILL HOPING THAT SOMEONE WILL HIT THE NOTE SO PLEASE KEEP YOU REPLIES COMING! :?

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I have a couple more ideas. Sent you a pm.
Ron

comethead

Post by comethead »

Ok I may have a permanent solution.
Perform these steps:
1. Remove the T10.
2. Install a Toploader. (With a beautifully standard speedo gear system) :D

(Now here's the important steps)

3. Drive to your nearest river, lake or large body of water. With a fully and accurately indicated speed.
4. Hold that T10 high over your head and throw it into the water as far as you can!! :lol:

There it's fixed!!

Ok ok ok I'm kidding now!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really hope this gets fixed...I'm curious to know what the magic solution is.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:Ok I may have a permanent solution.
Perform these steps:
1. Remove the T10.
2. Install a Toploader. (With a beautifully standard speedo gear system) :D

(Now here's the important steps)

3. Drive to your nearest river, lake or large body of water. With a fully and accurately indicated speed.
4. Hold that T10 high over your head and throw it into the water as far as you can!! :lol:

There it's fixed!!

Ok ok ok I'm kidding now!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really hope this gets fixed...I'm curious to know what the magic solution is.

Joe
That's funny !! :lol: :lol: :lol: a little funny never hurt anybody. & it also makes the responder sound knowledgeable!!! :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :wink: :o :P :P :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: I hope it gets fixed too. :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

sorry fella's ,pop don't see the funny in this.. :shock: reckon OL pop ain't as sharp as you 2 ,so point out the funny in it,,is it the subject matter or the cute way it was said ??? :?: :shock: :roll: :wink: :wink: :) :)
pop/glenda