Battery Relocation to the Trunk

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
caseville cyclone

Re: Battery Relocation to the Trunk

Post by caseville cyclone »

Cary, I really like the color of your car and the graphics. What times do you run at the dragstrip? Do you run eighth or quarter mile? Andy

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Yeah it would be a pain to comply with NHRA rules. My car is 95% cruiser. I'll rarely drag race it. I plan on putting my battery inside a surplus ammo can anyways, if I can find a big enough one that is. I'll vent it to the outside. It won't be "certified" but it will be better than nothing. A battery cutoff I'll have to think about. How would you manage to have it kill the engine if it has to be wired on the positive side? I suppose you could power the coil or ignition through a relay which would disconnect if power was lost, but I'd think that relay wired that way would tend to fail in the "on" position (welded itself shut)
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Thanks, Andy. The graphics were my design, painted by a friend in about 1986 or 7. It's mainly a street car, but my wife used to drag it back in the 80's, low 13's. So she tried again in 2013 and was high 13's with an open rear end. I wanted to sort it out last year, should be mid 12's. Instead we renovated the KITCHEN!
Redhot, they make a 4 post cut off switch witch also ties into the ignition system. (alternator cut off) Cant remember now, but I think tied into either a distributor lead or MSD box. I do recall it took a bit of tinkering to get it right, and they do test it at race tech. Something that has always bothered me is the thought that somebody at a stoplight or cruise could literally shut your car off! :shock: Take care, Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices

StPro

Post by StPro »

I hid all the wires on my 71 Comet. I mounted the Voltage Reg. and starter solenoid in side the car and ran the lighting wires through the fender well, The only wiring in the engine bay was for distributor,coil and alternator. One harness by the valve cover. Never had an issue with the trunk mounted battery and altered wiring.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT