64 headlight switch replacement

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
HOT260

64 headlight switch replacement

Post by HOT260 »

Hello all,
I believe I have a bad headlight switch. Problem is that I lose my interior and tail lights intermittently. When I put slight upward pressure on the switch assembly under the dash everything works great. My question is that it looks like the small fuse box is part of or attached to the headlight switch. Anyone have some advice to share in replacing this switch? Is the fuse box attached? My replacement switch does not have fuse box attached.

1964 Mercury Comet Caliente

Thanks
Burt

Lip Ripper

Re: 64 headlight switch replacement

Post by Lip Ripper »

Sound's like the wrong switch.
There is a spring loaded push button on the side of the switch. Push it in and pull the knob and shaft out. Then you can unscrew the bezel on the front and remove the switch. There is a tool but I'm sure I can speak for a lot of us that have used needle nose plier's.

My 62 did that and I found a fuse rolled in aluminum foil. Replaced that and as far as I know it is still working.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yep! speaks for me! :)
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

HOT260 wrote:Hello all,
I believe I have a bad headlight switch. Problem is that I lose my interior and tail lights intermittently. When I put slight upward pressure on the switch assembly under the dash everything works great. My question is that it looks like the small fuse box is part of or attached to the headlight switch. Anyone have some advice to share in replacing this switch? Is the fuse box attached? My replacement switch does not have fuse box attached.

1964 Mercury Comet Caliente

Thanks
Burt
Remove the switch and check for a loose terminal or bad wire. It could be that the lights you are having issues with share the same fuse. This sounds like a fire waiting to happen.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

HOT260

Post by HOT260 »

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to get it out Saturday or Sunday and see if it matches my replacement.

Burt

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Either loose terminals where the fuse block plugs on or in the fuse block itself. While you are messing with it might be a good time to install a new fuse block in a more accessible location and just connect it to the old fuse block. Would make future access so much easier.
Ron