302 with serpentine in a 64

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
platinummaker

302 with serpentine in a 64

Post by platinummaker »

Hi Guys,
Would value any feed back you would have on putting a late model 302 (H.O) in a 64 Caliente. I'll be changing the injection out for a carb. Ideally I think I would like to keep the serpentine system in place. I know about changing oil pan and pick up, requirement of electric fuel pump and drilling (I think) for front mounted dipstick, but would be very open to knowing ahead of time all nuts to be cracked.
Thanks all!

Lip Ripper

Re: 302 with serpentine in a 64

Post by Lip Ripper »

I have that setup. I bought a timing cover for mine and it had the dipstick hole as well as the open casting for the fuel pump, (I blocked it off). I did have to open up the dowel holes and open the dipstick hole up too. I suppose you could add the pump eccentric to the front of your cam if you want a mechanical pump. it was around $40. I could get you a part number next when I'm back.

Edit; found it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L0YQDAK/re ... 50_TE_item
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

platinummaker

Post by platinummaker »

Lip thanks for the info. Did that cover allow you to keep the reverse rotation water pump in place? Also did you go with mechanical or electric cooling fan? Radiator? Sorry for all the questions, jus want to get it right the first time....er close.
Dave

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Lip Ripper, Are you using that cover with a reverse rotation water pump? Looks like it is made for normal rotation.
Ron

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

You can just drill a hole for the dipstick in the timing cover and jb weld an dipstick tube to it, which is what I did. I used a serpentine setup off a 5.0L grand marquis with a standard rotation water pump. The crank pulley is provisioned for 2 serp belts, I'm just using the one, since I only have an alternator. Electric fan. I don't remember whether I had to grind out the boss for the fuel pump or if it was open already. But I am using a mechanical fuel pump.

If you are adding or removing accessories be sure the new configuration allows for adequate belt wrap around the pullies so that it won't slip under load.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Good question guy's. I bought it and thought it looked right. I've trashed what I had.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

platinummaker

Post by platinummaker »

Thanks Redhot. So you used the timing cover with the serp system. Where did you drill the hole? Did you take the cover off to do it? Also what radiator and elec fan are you using?
Thanks much!
Dave

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Here is a photo, the red arrow is where I drilled the timing cover. The water pump body is cast iron. You can see the double belt crank pulley too.

I don't remember whether I had the timing cover off, or the oil pan off when I drilled it. My rad is the original I6 rad that I had recored. The fan is off about a 87 Lebaron I believe, mounted in front as a pusher.

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Serpentine belts can be tricky...it really depends what accessories you are going to run. For me, I was only going to have the water pump and alternator. It probably would have been just as easy to go to a v-belt system. Most water pumps you'll find are reverse rotation (they have a smooth pulley, not ribbed) and they have to run on the backside of the belt. You also have to have enough belt wrap on the pulley so that it doesn't slip. Sometimes you can take a factory system and remove an accessory or two with no issues, sometimes not.

platinummaker

Post by platinummaker »

Thank you!

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

With serp' drives as you add or remove accesories it usually needs a change in belt lengths just as with vbelt drive. Don't know if they make them in as many lengths as you will find with a vbelt. Many more belt choices with vbelts I would think. Vbelts are available in fractional sizes, serps may not be.
Ron

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

The serp belt part number references the length. For instance k060905 is 6 rib and 90.5 inches long. k061025 102.5 inches etc.

And Ron, you referenced the picture of my replacement cover to standard rotation. Lordy, I've read and read on those thing's. Best I can tell is my

RF-E3AE-6059-CA OE numbered, replacement cover will work with both. I hope that is the case.

Stacey

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Lip Ripper wrote:The serp belt part number references the length. For instance k060905 is 6 rib and 90.5 inches long. k061025 102.5 inches etc.

And Ron, you referenced the picture of my replacement cover to standard rotation. Lordy, I've read and read on those thing's. Best I can tell is my

RF-E3AE-6059-CA OE numbered, replacement cover will work with both. I hope that is the case.
Stacey
Some vbelts, at least some belts like Gates belts (my preferred belts) have always been labled for size. Did not know the coding for serp belts but that is good to know they are labled as well. My point was serp belts may not be made in as many fractional sizes as vbelts.

As far as the cover goes by appearance it would be for normal rotation not rev. However I have seen others that looked the same and were stated to be for rev. Doesn't look right to me as the ports in my mind should be oriented to the direction of flow from the pump. And I think some rev rotation covers do have the ports turned to face flow on the rev. So they must be made both ways or functional both ways. Apparently that's not real critical but just looks odd to me. I think I would get conformation from the vender it will work ok in rev setup.
Ron

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Here is a picture of my 89 - 302 with a serpentine belt set up I put together. The brackets are off an 87 Marque . It had the double pulley on the bottom, so I got a single off ebay and I had to also get a smaller water pump pulley off ebay. I made the idler arm pulley set up and installed a AC delete pulley for now. I haven't had this running yet so I'm not sure how this is going to work.

tomb's 65

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Ford and their f'ing SBF timing covers!! Bad enough it just couldn't be a cover instead of literally the front part of the block!! Having like 9 variations just makes it worse!! Stacey - I've seen std rotation pumps used on the late covers no problem!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)