Brake lights rh not working?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lou's Comet

Re: Brake lights rh not working?

Post by Lou's Comet »

As I said the right rear turn signal and the right rear brake like share the same feed wire and use the same filament in the bulb.

Just as the left rear turn signal and left rear brake like share same feed wire and bulb filament.

So if the right rear turn signal is working the wire for the right rear brake light is good, with a good connection, or right rear turn signal wouldn't work, same wire.

Didn't mention the tail lights.

Comechero65 wrote:
Lou's Comet wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:I would test the wiring in the trunk. connected doesn't mean its working. you can get a test light for 6 bucks.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0371
If his rIght rear turn signal is working then the wiring is good. The right rear t/s and right rear brake light share the same feed wire and filament in bulb. Sounds like problem in turn signal switch.

Lou
Both taillight filaments share the same feed wire but not turn signals. Each side has it's own seperate feed wire. One can be bad and the other good. Needs to be traced all the way back to the switch.
Ron

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Looks like I need a C30Z-13341-B for my 64. Can anyone confirm that?

And who carries real nos? Early Ford Store of CA looks legit. Not sure though

Most of the stores sell Shee-Mar which is sounding cheap just from the name.
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Yup, I bought that one. That's why is says "SOLD" now on FleaBay.

The Comet goes in for suspension re-do next week. Friend of mine runs a local auto shop and teaches the auto tech program at the community college. So his current crop of students are going to do control arms, bushings, ball joints, Shelby drop, and a bunch of other stuff.

Should get it back in about 2 weeks.
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

luc3ch wrote:Yup, I bought that one. That's why is says "SOLD" now on FleaBay.

The Comet goes in for suspension re-do next week. Friend of mine runs a local auto shop and teaches the auto tech program at the community college. So his current crop of students are going to do control arms, bushings, ball joints, Shelby drop, and a bunch of other stuff.

Should get it back in about 2 weeks.
There is a little trick to get more caster by moving the UCA's back on their shafts 0.100'' . If you are putting new ones on it is a good idea to check them to see if they are centered. when I bought new UCA's one of them was off centered by nearly that same .100, it was about .095. so I put that one on the side so it would be off centered to the rear & changed the other side to mirror it. I pressed the bolts out & turned the shaft one turn or so until it measured right.

so if you get new UCA's, it would be a good idea to check & see if they are centered & put them on the best side even if you don't change them.
Johno

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Great trick, Thanks! I was wondering during how to get more caster since the mounting holes pretty fix your caster once the uca's are bolted in.

I will check mine and label them L & R

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

whether you move them or not you might want to beat a dimple in the area of the zerk fitting on the rear sides or get the zerks like I got, it gets tight back there if you move the shafts back. I picked up some zerks made for just for this by scott drake & put on my rear sides. you can see in this pic the dimple I put in mine but it wasn't big enough & I could not get a grease gun on the zerk. it still has the regular zerk with the new one showing how much skinnier it is. From experience I can tell you it is better to put them in before the UCA's are installed. :roll: way better. :wink:

Imageimage hosting adult
Johno

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Wow that is tight I bought 90 degree zerks extra because the uca's kits came with straight ones which would never fit.

Definitely gonna grease them good before they go in.. the factory parts don't have zerks at all that I see.

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Update: replaced my ts switch with a nos ford oem part.

My turn signals work, but my brakemail lights still don't.

Every connection is good that I can find. My brake light switch at the pedal is working properly. I checked it. Redid every connection.

Even took out my headlamp switch and fuse block, cleand it up and put new fuses in. Still nothing.

I am stumped. Help!

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Check the grn/rd wire at the t/s behind the wheel when stepping on the pedal. That is the feed from the brake sw. If no voltage there does your interior/dome lights work? They get power from the same feed. If none then check the fuse at the fuse block on the headlight sw. Should be a grn wire leaving the fuse block.
Ron

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Thanks Ron I will check those in the morning. I am done for tonight.

I also pulled the headlamp switch and cleaned it with contact cleaner and replaced the fuses. The middle 14 amp is the ts fuse. I wonder if the new one blew already?

The previous owner bridged that part of the fuse block with a jumper wire which I ditched. Bad fix onot his part but maybe he had a reason that the fuses kept blowing?

Or Could it be that my whole new old switch is a dud?

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

The wiring diagram I have, has the green wire going from the brake light switch to the t/s switch in steering column and that the green/red wire is the power feed wire from the headlight/fuse box to the brake light switch

When you checked the brake light switch did you check it just for continuity or did you check it for power?

I would check it with a test light to be sure if you haven't already. Check for power coming in first. Should be green/red wire. If you can't tell the color of the wires just check them both at the switch. One should be hot with the brake pedal in normal at rest position. This would be the power supply to switch. The other wire should become hot when pressing brake pedal

If you have power, to one wire when pedal is at rest then fuse and supply side is good. If you also have power to the other wire when pedal is pressed the switch is good.

If you don't have power to the wire coming into switch from fuse box Green/red wire. Then you have bad fuse, wire, or something in the fuse block bad. If you want to just get the brake lights working you can run power from another source to the switch to get them to work.

If you have power coming out of the switch when the brake pedal is pressed then the wire going from brake light switch to t/s switch or the t/s switch is bad.

Other things to check, put the turn signal switch to the position to turn the right/pass side signal on and press the brake pedal. Does the left/driver side brake light come on?

And vice a verse, put the t/s in the position to turn the left t/s on, press brake pedal does the right brake light come on?

If this happens problem is in t/s switch..

Links to the diagram I used

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/tOCM ... 65-186.jpg

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/tOCM ... 65-187.jpg

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

luc3ch wrote:
.............................The middle 14 amp is the ts fuse. I wonder if the new one blew already?

The previous owner bridged that part of the fuse block with a jumper wire which I ditched. Bad fix onot his part but maybe he had a reason that the fuses kept blowing?...........................
?
Was the fuse blown? The jumper wire doesn't sound good. I would check the fuse first!!. If it is blown I would disconnect the wires from the door switches for the interior lights, wrap the ends with tape or something so they don't ground out and replace the fuse. They share the same fuse as the brake lights. Then see how everything works.

If the interior light door switch(s) go bad they blow the fuse a lot of the time

But if someone had a jumper wire I would think there was a problem.

Lou

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

I checked that I do have power coming into the brake switch. Not sure it's coming out.

The new fuse is still good but I'm not sure it has good contact with its terminal clips.

Also when I jumped the brake terminals with a screwdriver it still didn't light up the brakes.

More work tomorrow.