Brake lights rh not working?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
luc3ch

Brake lights rh not working?

Post by luc3ch »

Right side brake lights stopped working. Left sides work.

Bulbs are both good. Tail lights right side DO work.

I fixed one bad wire splice but that didn't get them working...

Dumb question: what's wrong?
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

Comechero65

Re: Brake lights rh not working?

Post by Comechero65 »

Trace the brake wires all the way from the 2 pin connector under the dash back to the lamps. If you can't detect any voltage anywhere on that wire, suspect the sw behind the steering wheel. You would have to remove the wheel then investigate the sw is bad. The switches do get tired over time and need replacing. You can just replace the plastic part of the sw, assuming it's a 65, without removing the whole sw and wiring. That's the easiest fix.
Ron

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

But left side brake lights do work. My switch works.

So the problem is somewhere in the trunk. Must be an open break hidden under the wire insulation somewhere after the LH taillight assembly and before the RH side.

Are the brake lights powered by the orange wire with green stripe?
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Probably has a bad socket. I had to put one on mine.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

luc3ch wrote:But left side brake lights do work. My switch works.

So the problem is somewhere in the trunk. Must be an open break hidden under the wire insulation somewhere after the LH taillight assembly and before the RH side.

Are the brake lights powered by the orange wire with green stripe?
So far you haven't said what year car so I'm assuming a 65. Other years are different.
The switch is plastic with 2 wire style contacts rivited to it. Over time the wires loose their strength and don't bend like they used to. One side can be worse than the other. Also the fixed contacts and the wires get badly worn so they don't make contact well.

Check for bad socket too as has been mentioned. Ground at the socket is not the issue since the taillights work.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

His signature says 64.

Since one side works it probably isn't the switch, but you could check by checking to see if the signal on that side works. I'd guess it doesn't work either.

you can get a cheap test light with a sharp probe & can test the wire where it goes in to the socket. just poke it in the wire, it will only make a tiny hole.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

poboyjo65 wrote:His signature says 64.

Since one side works it probably isn't the switch, but you could check by checking to see if the signal on that side works. I'd guess it doesn't work either.

you can get a cheap test light with a sharp probe & can test the wire where it goes in to the socket. just poke it in the wire, it will only make a tiny hole.
This round of his post doesn't say 64 anywhere I saw. In looking back at previous post did show it to be a 64.

Trying to remember if the 64 used the same turn signal switch as 65 or the earlier style. Check at the 2 pin connector under the dash, i'm assuming the 64 also had that connector like 65. If the switch is working you should see voltage there in both positions. That will determine if it is a fault of the switch or somewhere down the line.
Ron

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

This round of his post? :? :? :? his sig says 64 , on all of his post.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

poboyjo65 wrote:This round of his post? :? :? :? his sig says 64 , on all of his post.
You're right, I missed that.
Ron

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Now we're getting somewhere. It's a 64 btw.

So: the right rear turn signals DO work. All the wiring in the trunk is ok. Not great, but connected at least.

Problem is somewhere at t/a switch or connector as Comechero suggests.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I would test the wiring in the trunk. connected doesn't mean its working. you can get a test light for 6 bucks.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0371
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:I would test the wiring in the trunk. connected doesn't mean its working. you can get a test light for 6 bucks.
If his rIght rear turn signal is working then the wiring is good. The right rear t/s and right rear brake light share the same feed wire and filament in bulb. Sounds like problem in turn signal switch.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea sorry ,my bad. I had my signals crossed :lol:
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:Yea sorry ,my bad. I had my signals crossed :lol:
that's why they are called blinkers :shock: :!: :wink: :lol:
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:I would test the wiring in the trunk. connected doesn't mean its working. you can get a test light for 6 bucks.
If his rIght rear turn signal is working then the wiring is good. The right rear t/s and right rear brake light share the same feed wire and filament in bulb. Sounds like problem in turn signal switch.

Lou
Both taillight filaments share the same feed wire but not turn signals. Each side has it's own seperate feed wire. One can be bad and the other good. Needs to be traced all the way back to the switch.
Ron