1965 caliente

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
cam shaft

1965 caliente

Post by cam shaft »

I apologize for delay in posting pics, we had o learn about photobucket. Here are few pics.
We did learn about the Hipo and some mistakes that we made during the resto.
I know the tach is not correct, we do have a 8000 rotunda getting repaired. We were not absolutely sure about mounting location until it was confirmed by research and conversation with a 1960's Ford tech.
The tires are not correct, but we did purchase a set of red stripes monday.
The guys who looked at the car were more mustang than comet experts so it was an interesting experience to say the least.
We in fact did make some mistakes, but are pretty satisfied at this point, I think the incorrect items can be taken care of without too much trouble.
Please enjoy, comments are welcome.
The car will be taken to a single show, probably MCACN and then it is going into a private collection.

poboyjo65

Re: 1965 caliente

Post by poboyjo65 »

First thing that I wonder, is did you find a build sheet? That will be what any body who knows about 65 hipo comets will ask .

second, no cigar lighter? Because you deserve a fat stogie, with a new baby like that. It is beautiful!

What is the color? I was thinking it was a tad darker, but that may have just been old paint.

where is that show?

I think someone had stuck some fairlane checkered flagged 289 emblems on the front of the fenders when I saw it on ebay. glad you didn't put those back on,they didn't look bad,just didnt belong on a comet though most people dont know that,some of us do

Take lots of detailed pics at the show for us & you will want to look back at that day in the future too. You did a great job!! :D :D :D
Johno

Loner

Post by Loner »

Beautiful car, the only thing you are missing is more pictures.

Matt

cam shaft

Post by cam shaft »

We found about a quarter of the sheet. It is at my friends who is a "conservator", she is trying to clean it up. One can read the first number in the vin but the year and "A" can be seen. The color is silver turquoise(D). It does seem to be light in the photo.

Stuff we learned

Mustang guys dont like single exhaust on V8's ,especially on a hipo and a 65 muffler is hard to find thus the 66 muffler,
The vin number on the hipo is stamped on the tail shaft and the engine only has a date.
The 3939s fuel pump doesnt work, which is why it is not on the car.
When the workers were assembling the car, to get the cable through the firewall for manual choke, a phillips screw driver and hammer was used from the engine side, leaving very sharp edges inside. (they are sharp enough to slice a finger)
I know every one likes R&R, but the sounds from a 55 year old am/fm makes one thankful for digital recordings and bose speakers.
There was a lot of cool stuff we found, like the numbers on the springs are not listed in fords parts cat. but we found them in a hipo service parts list from Ford. The pink inspection marks on front coil springs were really "hot".
We found out there some hipo Comets around without documentation, but there are many "special" parts
which are unique to hipo Comets. If any one finds one, we do have some buyers who would be interested. We didnt realize how many people had owned a hipo Comet in years prior that was just like this one except it was a 4 door, or had an AT, or it was green, or what ever, you know the drill.
As for the Fairlane " emblems" we were not able to source NOS emblems thus the omission.
There are not a lot of Comets left that can be restored without a lot of knowledge and assistance the members here provide. I would like to commend every one here on his site for being the most friendly, down to earth, nicest group of people we have dealt with on a car site. The lack of profanity, arrogance, and etc. was absolutely amazing. Thank you.
There were many people we met who didnt know what a Comet was. These cars are becoming more scare every day, even to the point of rare, so those who have them should treasure them.
It was a fun project and we are thankful to all provided knowledge, information, assistance, parts, and support. poboyjo65, Carlos, Dave, Alan, and any others I may have missed.
The MCACN show is in Chicago, the weekend before Thanksgiving.
Thank you again to everyone for the kind words.

comethead

Post by comethead »

The car looks great!
Nice to see a piece of Ford Mercury history saved!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

comethead wrote:The car looks great!
Nice to see a piece of Ford Mercury history saved!

Joe
X 10, what joe just said....mighty fine work which in turn,,,,gives a nice comet !!! pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

cam shaft wrote: The MCACN show is in Chicago, the weekend before Thanksgiving.
Thank you again to everyone for the kind words.
Maybe You could display one of the forum's license tags with the car at that show! it looks like the logo at the top. I'm sure you will have an info sign near the car at the show. That would do us proud !!! :D :D I for 1 have enjoyed hearing about the rebuild along the way. Thanks for carrying us along for the ride!!!
Johno

cam shaft

Post by cam shaft »

We are honored that you find our project worthy and will gladly display a Mercury Comet Performance Forum license plate tag. Do we purchase or make one?
thank you

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

cam shaft,,john spoke for all us,,,put it on display with knowing you have us all behind you...........and with OL POP's quote..........YOU DID GOOD !! :wink: :D :) 8) pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

cam shaft wrote:We are honored that you find our project worthy and will gladly display a Mercury Comet Performance Forum license plate tag. Do we purchase or make one?
thank you
If Lavron doesn't have any more right now I will send you mine.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Pm sent
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I still have some license plates.

See Ya,