Wiper switch wiring

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
thrnelson

Wiper switch wiring

Post by thrnelson »

Its been a while since I have been able to work on the Comet but now that it has warmed up in the Northeast I have been installing the Ron Francis wire harness. It has been going OK but the Wiper switch is giving me fits, It has six connections on it and I cannot find a wiring diagram that has the same colors as mine, Looking at it from the back (the wire side) there is Orange, two light blue going to one connection, two black going into one connection, black with white stripe, white with black stripe and a solid white. These colors are in a clockwise rotation, BTW I have a 65 Caliente.

Thanks for the help,
Trent

poboyjo65

Re: Wiper switch wiring

Post by poboyjo65 »

Does your wiper switch knob have another little knob on it? or do you have a thing on the passenger side firewall higher but inward of the blower motor? with vacuum lines run to it?
Johno

thrnelson

Post by thrnelson »

It has two knobs. There was a hose going to the switch but it was not hooked up to anything. I am so excited after replacing the harness I just got the car running again. YAY!! The wiper switch is the last thing to do before putting the gauge pack back in and driving.

Thanks for your help.
Trent

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You have Interval selector windshield wipers. It's like an intermittent wiper with a twist. if you set the dwell to pause for light rains but if you speed up the wipers will sweep faster then when you slow back down ,the wipers did too, back to where you had then set. this was back when 2 lane driving was more common & so a lot more passing was happening. so when you passed ,vacuum dropped & they sped up & they slowed down when the car did after the vacuum stabilized. If you have the governor on the firewall you may want to make it work again. I've been hoping to find a wiring & vacuum diagram but I have not found one yet. If you dont want to use this it may be simpler to get a regular switch that doesn't have the vacuum outlets on it. my wipers work but the vacuum lines were off when I got the car.
Johno