YET ANOTHER '65 BUILD

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
BST'65

Re: YET ANOTHER '65 BUILD

Post by BST'65 »

comethead wrote:After we finish the 8" chunk we'll tear into the Toploader! I just finished one for my road race Falcon.

Btw I bought a used Toploader years ago. Hoped it was ok and I installed it...a couple of months later it was making bearing noises :cry:
Out she came!!

Joe
Joe,

Sounds good! Really appreciate it!

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Jim,

Thanks! And I thought there were no Comet's in SoCal! :lol:

Pop and Poboy,

Haha, I'll be careful! :shock:

Beer/dog there both mans best friend right?? :roll:

comethead

Post by comethead »

BST'65 wrote:Jim,

Thanks! And I thought there were no Comet's in SoCal! :lol:

Pop and Poboy,

Haha, I'll be careful! :shock:

Beer/dog there both mans best friend right?? :roll:
Hey Ben that's an interesting comment- no Comets in SoCal. Seems like it's not far off! It's strange here we are in the birth place of hot rodding and drag racing and hardly any Comets! Wtf!
And my car was built here in La Puente...as were thousands of other Comets!
The SoCal Cougar club can barely scrape together 20 cars for a show and of those...4 were Comets. There were literally hundreds of Mustangs at the last Knotts show.

Strange indeed! :?

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Joe,

When I first joined the forum I thought there'd be tons of other California Comets, ahhhhhh wrong. Surprising like you mentioned but hey, it's alright with me I like having something that's not just the regular old mustang or nova you see everyday. But it would be nice to have a stronger community haha, you got one more now!! :D

This was the first year I went to that show and I was shocked!!! I thought for sure I'd see at least 10 Comets, boy was I wrong, I think there were 3-4 Comets a midst the sea of never ending Mustangs! :lol: :cry:

Ben

comethead

Post by comethead »

Yeah I love my Comet and Falcon. I love that they're NOT Mustangs :lol:

I had a 66 Mustang fastback and it was an awesome car...at car shows it was one of billions! :roll:

Joe

Loner

Post by Loner »

BST'65 wrote:Joe,

When I first joined the forum I thought there'd be tons of other California Comets, ahhhhhh wrong. Surprising like you mentioned but hey, it's alright with me I like having something that's not just the regular old mustang or nova you see everyday. But it would be nice to have a stronger community haha, you got one more now!! :D

This was the first year I went to that show and I was shocked!!! I thought for sure I'd see at least 10 Comets, boy was I wrong, I think there were 3-4 Comets a midst the sea of never ending Mustangs! :lol: :cry:

Ben
I thought the same as you Ben. Got mine I think the first of 2015. I have seen one other running 65 besides Joe's and two parts cars one I bought the other I bought a lot of. Hard to find parts at swapmeets also. If you do find something most times the seller doesn't know what the part fits.
What I have seen more of are 64''s and only a few older. I go to 20-25 car shows and swap meets a year here in California. So knowing they are few and far between makes them even cooler.

Glad you joined,Matt

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP'S 64 is a CALF car,,built in SAN JOSE,,LIVED there most of it's life then the orig owner drove it down here and I got my hands on it...rest is history....but seldom ever do I see another one here.....in fact most ,ask me what it is and who built it.....was once ask if it was a nova...BOY ! did I give him a chunk of my mind.....I ask if he was a HAIR-LIP PIG FARMER............ :shock: :wink: POP
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I guess I like having a rare car even though I never thought about it as rare but as a classy classic car (always have even if it was a 15 year old car when I got)
Can't tell the number of times I was asked if it was a Buick
See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Joe,

Yeah, couple folks in my neighborhood have 65's. I'll be happy when my engines built and I can rumble by and wave :shock: :lol:

Ben[/quote]

I thought the same as you Ben. Got mine I think the first of 2015. I have seen one other running 65 besides Joe's and two parts cars one I bought the other I bought a lot of. Hard to find parts at swapmeets also. If you do find something most times the seller doesn't know what the part fits.
What I have seen more of are 64''s and only a few older. I go to 20-25 car shows and swap meets a year here in California. So knowing they are few and far between makes them even cooler.

Glad you joined,Matt[/quote]

Matt,

At the shows I do go too I do tend to see more 64s. One 62/63 driving around here as well. Too bad your way up north but I don't blame you SoCal is not how it used to be and it's only getting worse.

Ben
popscomet wrote:POP'S 64 is a CALF car,,built in SAN JOSE,,LIVED there most of it's life then the orig owner drove it down here and I got my hands on it...rest is history....but seldom ever do I see another one here.....in fact most ,ask me what it is and who built it.....was once ask if it was a nova...BOY ! did I give him a chunk of my mind.....I ask if he was a HAIR-LIP PIG FARMER............ :shock: :wink: POP
POP,

Hahahaha, too funny! A lady walked by my car and asked if it was a Dodge and I said no it's a Merc. She replied with doesn't Dodge make Mercury, I just said, yeah and this ones a '70 Mercury Dodge Challenger! :lol: best part is . . . She says how cool! And walks away :lol:

Mike,

The mystique of the Comets never fails me!!

Ben

Loner

Post by Loner »

Ben to tell you the truth. I'm not far enough north. Crazy how this place has changed in the last 20 years. Your right south is even crazier went to San Diego a few months back it is almost one town from there passed magic mountain.

Matt

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Hope ya'll had a great Memorial Day weekend!

Quick update . . . got the Yukon rebuild kit in and the posi rebuild kit on its way! Joe is gunna show me the ropes this weekend and we'll get her rebuilt.

Quick check of the back lash before I tore into it. Little tight at 0.0045-0.005 but the gears look alright.

I had two 3rd members, one with a posi unit and 3.40 gears and the other with an open. I tore into both, plan is to take the gears and posi out of the one and rebuild it in the other. Reason being is one is much cleaner the the other . . . in other words less prep before paint. :roll:

The one is above is a little rusty the other is much cleaner.

Little aftermath photo, Ill get the stuff cleaned up, throw some fresh paint on it and head out to Joe's. I figured I didn't want to show up with my greasy junk, don't want Joe to have to get his hands too dirty!! HAHAHA :lol:

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Pretty sure Joe LIKES being dirty/ greasy! :D :lol: :lol:

Shucks, 80-90W has a kinda charming stench...the LS additive though... :shock: That stuff reeks so bad you can smell it even in the sealed bottle!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

comethead

Post by comethead »

That's a whole lotta parts! :lol:
And yeah...I don't like getting dirty. Especially with gear oil! That stuff will reek for days!!
And the additive... :x

Looking forward to getting your diff built Ben

Joe

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

X 2 on the LS additive, very unique smell! :lol: After throwing the empty bottle a way I dug it out to wrap in in ziplocks it stunk so bad!

Quick update . . . didn't take as many photos, concentrated on the project at hand. After at least 5 hours of grease removal grinding and sanding :evil: , I got the chunk clean enough to throw some paint on it. :wink:

Not quite red oxide, realized I got the wrong color when I finally went to paint it at 9:30, said screw it didn't come out to bad. Packing up this stuff and heading out to Joe's this afternoon to rebuild it!! :P

Pretty sure I read the pinion housing and yoke were supposed to be "raw" in color but it was a little pitted and rusty, little paint to protect it and I think it looks good. Besides this is by no means supposed to be a factory correct build.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Why'd you take a pic of a big ole RED tomato?? :D :mrgreen: Nah...ribbin' you...looks good man, now fill 'er up!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)