YET ANOTHER '65 BUILD

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
BST'65

YET ANOTHER '65 BUILD

Post by BST'65 »

65s are the best looking Comets at least in my opinion! :lol: You've got to be a fan of square cars though . . .

Little back story to preface this build thread. Around this time last year I was looking for a cheap project to keep me busy and outta trouble on the weekends. I found the below '65 202 V8 and it sure was cheap, the car was all there mostly straight body, needed new floor pans and rebuild on the motor. Pretty much a full resto. I always wanted a hard top but they seem to all be either too nice and out of my budget or too far gone for me, at least here in SoCal.

So I towed her home and started plugging away. Pulled the motor, gutted the interior and started cutting out the cancer. I slowly began to realize this was a much bigger project than I anticipated but, I had nothing better to do.

Given I don't personally know how to weld it was going to take a lot to get this car going. Thats about is far as I got in the course of 9 months all along constantly searching craigslist for other Comets. That's when I found this . . .

The hardtop I really wanted. After some negotiation (right place right time) I drove her home, much less of a project than the 202 and I could drive it around while gathering parts.

The dilemma came on what to do with the 202 I didn't have room for two project nor the time or money. I listed her up on CL and settled on a deal for a 4spd toploader and posi 8in that I would use in the Caliente. So here she is getting towed away, I joked the only pictures I have of the 202 are it on trailer coming here and it on a trailer leaving. Thats the way it goes. :P

So during all that I picked up a late 80s 302 and sent it off to the machine shop and have been collecting parts for the build. Now I've got the rear and tranny covered things are starting to move along. Subframe connectors are coming in (need to find a place to weld them in, any suggestions?), most of the engine parts are stacked up and I think I'll be slapping it all together over the next two months.

Tore into the 8in for fresh bearings and seals and some paint. Debating on whether or not to rebuild the diff, gears look good, so think I'll clean it up and slap it in the housing.

I am new to this and love all the info on this forum its been super helpful! Any idea where these "needle bearings" fell out of?

Lots more to come and happy to be part of the Comet community!

Ben

redhotcomet

Re: YET ANOTHER '65 BUILD

Post by redhotcomet »

There can never be enough build threads! Welcome aboard!
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Nothing wrong with a post car, but I cant blame you for swapping for one that needs less work. I believe I would look for a bearing in the chunk that is missing some needles before putting it back in. It is one of the better carriers with the extra webbing. If it were me I'd have it gone thru by a shop. or do it yourself if you can. it's a lot of trouble to tear back in to, & you'd be kickin your self if you had to, because it would be so easy right now.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

I believe that's remnants of the pilot bearing for the pinion gear. It sets in the housing. You may be able to see it with a flashlight from the back side. If it came apart it could have destroyed the race on the pinion gear...means new gear set.
I'm not too far away from you. If you want to learn to rebuild it shoot me a PM. I have all the tools for a rebuild.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Groover

Post by Groover »

redhotcomet wrote:There can never be enough build threads! Welcome aboard!
X2

Welcome aboard and keep the photos coming.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Ah man I got all excited when I saw another post car! Glad you found what you really wanted & a project that's not too much work, keep us posted on your progress!

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Thanks everyone for the welcome! I was trying to cut some cost and didn't want to mess anything up but, makes sense to do it while its out. Joe is going to help me out, stoked, thanks! :lol:

Here's what I got done today.

Got the rest of the housing cleaned up as best as I could.

Scuffed it up for paint and a final cleaning and drying . . .

First a light coat of primer, and a can of paint later and it looks like new!!

I'll get all the bearings and seals ordered up and tackle that next. Now I am questioning whether I should re-build the toploader while its out as well. Can't be too hard but, I'm not sure that it needs it. I'll throw some pics up of it when I get there. :D :D :D

comethead

Post by comethead »

After we finish the 8" chunk we'll tear into the Toploader! I just finished one for my road race Falcon.

Btw I bought a used Toploader years ago. Hoped it was ok and I installed it...a couple of months later it was making bearing noises :cry:
Out she came!!

Joe

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard, Ben! Man, I wish Joe lived near me! :mrgreen: You'll not do better than working under his tutelage. Great start to your build thread. Lots of pictures, just the way we like it. :D
JIm

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

If you take some cold beer to Joe's with you it will be like feeding a stray dog,,,you'll have a friend forever! :lol:
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:If you take some cold beer to Joe's with you it will be like feeding a stray dog,,,you'll have a friend forever! :lol:
but you know how a stray dog is.....bad to sniff..............watch him !! :shock: :lol: :lol:
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Welcome aboard, Ben! Man, I wish Joe lived near me! :mrgreen: You'll not do better than working under his tutelage. Great start to your build thread. Lots of pictures, just the way we like it. :D
JIm
Jim your too nice. I was lucky enough to hang out with Roy Pool on some diff rebuilds and he was always on call for me! :lol: He always had tech tips and real world experience to share on EVERYTHING. Man I really miss him now that I'm knee deep in my road race Falcon build.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Jim! :D

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

popscomet wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:If you take some cold beer to Joe's with you it will be like feeding a stray dog,,,you'll have a friend forever! :lol:
but you know how a stray dog is.....bad to sniff..............watch him !! :shock: :lol: :lol:
Yes...you guys are too nice :?

:lol: :lol:

Joe

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

comethead wrote:
popscomet wrote:
Yes...you guys are too nice :?

:lol: :lol:

Joe
anything for a friend,JOE ! :wink: :)
pop/glenda

Loner

Post by Loner »

[/quote]

Jim your too nice. I was lucky enough to hang out with Roy Pool on some diff rebuilds and he was always on call for me! :lol: He always had tech tips and real world experience to share on EVERYTHING. Man I really miss him now that I'm knee deep in my road race Falcon build.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Jim! :D

Joe[/quote]

I feel for you Joe. Roy forgot more than most will ever know about our cars.
The old body and fender man (85 now)that tought me is still around and every Tuesday I'm in his shop soaking up all I can. I know it sucks but one day he won't be there anymore.

By the way how is the Falcon coming along?

Matt