YET ANOTHER '65 BUILD

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
popscomet

Re: YET ANOTHER '65 BUILD

Post by popscomet »

BEN,if a man tries hard e'nuff ,he can tear up an anvil......anything can be torn up,,,they tear up tanks and rock crushers.....so go for it and hope for the best....me personaly I don't see you ever putting e'nuff tire under it for a sbf to tear it up....unless you try....jmo :shock: :wink: but good luck..pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Pop I love that saying! :lol:
I remember Roy telling me about the 8" ring and pinion he passed around his group of drag racing friends back in the day. It was a 4.56 or something and one of them busted part of a tooth off the ring gear. They pulled it and welded it up. Installed the set in another chunk and raced it. When he wanted a different ratio he passed it on to another dude. Then another...
At Roy's memorial his Army friend of 40 years recounted the story to me while laughing his ass off the whole time he told it :lol:
Anyhow Roy said he pulled the pinion housing right out of a 8" rear at 8k RPM. The track workers brought him back his drive shaft with the pinion housing still attached to it! :shock:

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

BEN,if a man tries hard e'nuff he can tear up an anvil,,anything can be torn up....tanks and rock crushers get tore up...I don't think you'll ever have e'nuff tire under it to tear up the 8in ,jmo..but good luck and enjoy yourself ......pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

tell me how I got a double post out of this?....time for ol pop to call it a night,have been an hr's drive from the house working on a dirt car for grd son..2nd late night in a row.... :wink: :shock: :roll: :!:
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

comethead wrote:Pop I love that saying! :lol:
I remember Roy telling me about the 8" ring and pinion he passed around his group of drag racing friends back in the day. It was a 4.56 or something and one of them busted part of a tooth off the ring gear. They pulled it and welded it up. Installed the set in another chunk and raced it. When he wanted a different ratio he passed it on to another dude. Then another...
At Roy's memorial his Army friend of 40 years recounted the story to me while laughing his ass off the whole time he told it :lol:
Anyhow Roy said he pulled the pinion housing right out of a 8" rear at 8k RPM. The track workers brought him back his drive shaft with the pinion housing still attached to it! :shock:

Joe
COOL !!...... 8) :shock: :lol: POP..OL ROY had passed the part of trying to tear it to the point of just not careing :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: RIP........POP
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

Pop when I asked Roy if I'd be ok with the 8" in my track Falcon he said the same as you- don't sell the 8" short.
I'm hoping mine and Bens last for many years

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Ben, I'm late to the party on this one. Nice build thread. Welcome aboard, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

loman

Post by loman »

Pop and Roy are correct when they say "don't sell the 8" short". My other car, although not fast, has the 8" in it. I raced it a lot before I got my fast car done. The car was raced with 8.5" slicks, 4.11 gears, stock axles and a spool. Once, I broke some teeth off a ring gear, and a couple years back I finally broke one of the stock axles. The rear end is fine and still going with new gear and now aftermarket axles. Not to mention an 8" is lighter than a 9" so less weight you are hauling around.

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Pugs,

Thanks!

Loman,

Yeah I don't foresee to many problems with a car that is going to be 90% street! And hell if I break it I'll fix it! :lol:

Stopped by the machine shop yesterday block is ready to go, I'll grab it next weekend and start putting the motor together! Just about every nut and bolt is on its way now. Still have some big things to get (carbuerator & distributor), suggestions on a carb would be great, I'm thinking something in the 650 CFM range, vacuum secondaries.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.

Ben

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

BST'65 wrote:Still have some big things to get (carbuerator & distributor), suggestions on a carb would be great, I'm thinking something in the 650 CFM range, vacuum secondaries.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.

Ben
I love my Holley Street Avenger 570 cfm. I've ran it for 15 years or so with no major issues.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Looking back I probably shoulda just built the 8-inch, but figured I had worked out a 9-inch for the same $$...not in the end...friggin hindsight!!

Carb depends a lot on the drivetrain and intended use IMO. I remember reading "late model 302" but forget any mods, trans, and gears!?! x2 on the Holley 570SA being a good carb (got one on the Comet as I type) but it's actually a 465cfm carb. A good rule of thumb is to get the biggest carb you can tune for good low-speed (RPM) operation. With a healthy 289-302, and gears with built auto or stick, 650 ain't a bad choice!! :D :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

I know bigger is not always better but, I also would hate to under carb the motor.

As for mods . . .

Running the Howards Cam you suggested :mrgreen:
.544 lift on intake
.533 lift on exhaust

TFS 190CC 11R (these heads instill the fear of undercarbing) :?

RPM Airgap intake

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Geez I am getting old...shoulda reread the thread! :lol: :mrgreen: 650DP oughta be about perfect!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Today is a good day! Damn near everything for the car is here ready to start putting her back all together.

Call it a Comet in a box . . . Or multiple boxes. :lol:

Loner

Post by Loner »

Let the fun begin!!
It is Caliente as can be up here,and has been all week,kind of hard to get anything done that without A/C or a lot of water. Hopefully you are staying cool.

Matt