YET ANOTHER '65 BUILD

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
BST'65

Re: YET ANOTHER '65 BUILD

Post by BST'65 »

Time for an update . . .

Unfortunately between the holidays and taking a new job with a battery company I haven't made as much progress lately. :roll: Now that things have settled time to get things moving again!

I got patch panels mocked up to fix the hole in the driver side floor pan and that will just about some up the welding I will have to do. Got the first panel in and the second hopefully will be done this week. Also got the engine bay cleaned, sanded, primed and painted. Be and a buddy tackled the under carriage as well. After 10 lbs of grease and grit and a few touch up spots she's looking brand new again! 8) Finally climbed in and opened the trunk after having owned the Comet for a year. Not to shabby nothing a little grinding and some POR wont fix. Hoepfully get through that this week as well and sum up the "clean-up/prep" part of the build.

MDL, clutch pedal and master cylinder arrived and the CRSP brake kit should be here Tuesday/Wednesday. Ill get the clutch and brake master cylinders in and trying to piece together a cable throttle set-up, any suggestions? Once thats all squared away I've got some .5" dynamat for the firewall.

The engine is pretty much buttoned up. Still need to finish up the rear end and order the shifter parts for the toploader. She's moving along hoping to have it running in the next month or so. :?:

Here's my little girl, spent Christmas in Neveda. They have actual seasons she was stoked on the leaves. :D

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Right-on! Lookin' good man. For the throttle cable, Lokar makes some stuff that'd work (incl. IIRC a setup where you'd have a "spoon" under the original pedal. When I finally get around to it, I'm planning on using a Fox-body carb's 'Stang setup...cable, bracket, pedal. Pretty sure you've gotta find 'em used; I don't think they're reproduced.

Great shot of the kiddo! My boys love the leaves too but given we've got 11 huge trees in the yard...me, not so much!! :D :D :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

comethead

Post by comethead »

Man lookin all shiny and new! Gotta love it!
Good to see the progress Ben!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looking really nice Ben
Tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks real good Ben! Have you thought about cutting the shock tower braces? An export brace is available & opens up a lot of room for the bigger duel MC, among other things including spark plug access.

some early 70's ford cars had a throttle pedal & cable set up that could be used with some minor tweaking. I think Roy said he used a 74 lincoln pedal & cable. I have heard of people using a 69 stang pedal/cable set up. I used a pedal & linkage from a mid 70's ford truck with v8.I had to bend it around some & do some fab. I love the better response & feel of a solid linkage. & if the throttle hangs I can pull it up with my toe, with a cable you rely on the spring.
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

there is pro's N cons with both cabel or solid rod...if the motor ever was to torqe over from a faulty mount,the engine is not able to idel back down ,we had a couple of fellows on the track run over the car in front of them and or run off the track in a turn when they lifted off the gas pedal,the motor wouldn't come down and they were in trouble,,,,and we had that happen to grd son's car yrs ago,,luckly he was on his game and was able to hit the kill switch in time but on the other hand we have had the cable break and the return spring did it's job so nothing happened other then car behind almost hit the rear end of son's car when his speed just all of a sudden went to nothing,,,my comet still has the factory solid rod set up....but all our race cars has a cabel....and those guys I mention earlier returned the next race night with a cable set up....so I think which way you either feel comfortable with or works best for you is the way to go...just my take on the subject.....good luck ! POP
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Pop I pinned my motor mounts so the motor cant torque over if the rubber breaks. A cable could fray & hang in it's housing, so yea pros & cons to any type, & nothing is foolproof. some motorcycles use a push pull cable system one to pull the throttle open & one to pull it closed. nascar's use to have a deal at the top to pull the throttle back up with the toes if it stuck.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

[quote="poboyjo65"]Pop I pinned my motor mounts so the motor cant torque over if the rubber breaks. A cable could fray & hang in it's housing, so yea pros & cons to any type, & nothing is foolproof. some motorcycles use a push pull cable system one to pull the throttle open & one to pull it closed. nascar's use to have a deal at the top to pull the throttle back up with the toes if it stuck.[/q
YES JOHN,,I know all about nascar in fact we have a couple of what your talking about...this ain't my 1st rodeo !! :lol: :lol: :lol: pop
pop/glenda

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Rocket- Thanks man! Yeah I will have to do some diggin; it seems there isn't just a kit you have to piece it together.
I bet on the leaves, we have big eucalyptus tree PIA!!

Joe- Thanks! Yeah fresh paint and new parts makes being covered in grease all worth it . . . :?: :roll:

Tom- Thanks man.

Pop & Poboy - I am definitely going to have to do some think as to how I want to tackle it. Taking a second look at the rod, doesn't seem like to much trouble to get it to work and my mounts are pinned as well.

Another update got a few solid days in on the car this week. :D Finally finished up welding in the drivers side patches; don't mind my booger welds to much. :lol: I ought to take a class or something . . . little late now that the main welding is over but I made out alright. Started to clean up under the dash as well to get some POR on there. The pictures make it worse than it is only surface rust, little to no pitting. Yanked the birds nest of "radio wiring", that the PO installed and out with the horn button. :mrgreen:

Dug into the trunk as well, pulled the gas tank, starting to get them both cleaned and prepped for some paint. Trunk is not to shabby little pitting here and there but no welding needed.

Mid way through gettin' this post up the UPS guy arrived!! 8) CRSP came in and man this kit is sweet. Kit is pretty damn complete pics below for anyone curious about what they get. I opted to go with what they say is there "highest performance" kit, and man the aluminum calipers are fricken' huge bigger than on my pick-up. I don't think I'll be short any stopping power.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

your doing good and things are lookin good ....keep it up ....pop
pop/glenda

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

There's nothing like opening up new parts!! Andy

comethead

Post by comethead »

Looking great Ben!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Those'll stop her! :shock:
Jim

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

I appreciate all the support! Cant wait to turn the engine over for the first time! I was hoping to drive it to the Ford show this year but that's in two months, I don't think I'll make it! :roll:

Jims65cyclone wrote:Those'll stop her! :shock:
Jim
No joke! I was surprised myself one of those boxes is the basically the calipers alone for a size comparison. :mrgreen:

comethead

Post by comethead »

BST'65 wrote:I appreciate all the support! Cant wait to turn the engine over for the first time! I was hoping to drive it to the Ford show this year but that's in two months, I don't think I'll make it! :roll:

Jims65cyclone wrote:Those'll stop her! :shock:
Jim
No joke! I was surprised myself one of those boxes is the basically the calipers alone for a size comparison. :mrgreen:
Hey Ben I think YOU WILL make that Ford show. Yes you will. :D