YET ANOTHER '65 BUILD

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: YET ANOTHER '65 BUILD

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe made me re-paint mine with the right shade :lol: he'll probably grumble all afternoon about it & make you promise to get the right shade on there :roll: :lol: :lol:
Johno

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Rocket,

I was inspired by your engine! What did Joe say "Nothing wrong with a purdy color!" :lol:

Poboy,

I just might anyways but, after the amount of work it took to clean the thing I just wanted to get some paint on it!

Ben

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Joe and I tore into it this Sunday! After hours of work and few beers we got the chunk put back together ready for final adjustment on the back lash and pattern, I'll head back in a few weeks to get the job finished! Thanks again Joe, really appreciate the help and advice learned a lot!! :D

We didn't take to many photos here are a few for ya'll.

Another project down getting closer and closer! I'll throw some pics up of the sweet parts I've got "in stock" for the engine build this weekend. Also Crites called me today my order has been shipped!

Question for you guys . . . Anyone running the edlebrock RPM Air Gap intake if so how's the hood clearance? Other suggestions on intakes welcome as well! Basically down to choosing an intake and carb combo for the motor! The heads are supposed to flow amazing so want to be sure to complement them well!

Thanks,

Ben

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'm running an Airgap ,yea it'll fit. Here are some pics I took checking my hood clearance with 3 '' tall breather.

Last edited by poboyjo65 on Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Johno,

Thanks!! Glad to hear and looks like there is plenty of room! Now considering you've been running this intake, anything you'd change or another option you'd wish you took?

Ben

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

cant think of any. I have a polished alum performer intake on another 302 & it is a pain to polish & doesn't look new anymore, but for near the same money I like this enduroshine intake. very easy to clean,just wipe it off with a soft cloth. most times just a dry cloth gets it clean. I've had it & running 8-9 years & still looks good. but it will scratch fairly easy if you rub it hard with grit on it. it's kinda like a plastic coating. & it runs good too. I have a different breather now with a snorkel hood & it works out pretty good. it is a shorter breather,probably an inch shorter but I have a stock ford carb spacer under the carb which is about an inch tall.

here is a pic of the hood down before I cut out the hole in the hood for the breather,

Last edited by poboyjo65 on Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

We had a good time drinking beer and putting that heavy pig back together.
We ran into a couple obstacles with removing the old bearings (turns out I don't have the exact pullers and press set up for the differential).
But we overcame and now it's down to adjusting and getting a good pattern.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

John,

Cool, thanks for the pictures and info! At some point down the road I am planning to grab one of the re-pop tear drop style hoods 8) but wanted to be sure it fit regardless. Thinking of going with the "raw" finish, performance wise I think it will be the best option without going to a single plane.

Joe,

No casualties cuttin' them old bearings off either! Thanks for the help again and we will get her dialed in next time! :thumbs up:

Nothing greasy this past weekend so just a few pics of the "fun" parts I've got stacked up! :lol: Nothing wrong with water pumps and timing chains but I think these are more exciting.

Went with a Howard's cam H.R. (PN 221145-10) as suggested by Rocket! Thanks man, similar to the cams I was already looking at with just a bit more lift I think it will pair nice with the heads!

Specs, if your curious!

And the heads!!

After tons of back and forth, reading and, research I pulled the trigger on the TFS 190 CC 11Rs. Gotta love the smooth intake and exhaust ports of a CNC'd head! :D :D

190 CC Intake ports / 66 CC Exhaust : 2.055 Intake valve / 1.6 Exhaust

These things are finger print magnets!

Close up of the exhaust port. :mrgreen:

And the intake!

56 CC combustion chambers. :)

Stoked on that stuff, hopefully get the block, and internals back from the machine shop this weekend. I'll keep ya'll posted!

Thanks,
Ben

Loner

Post by Loner »

Nice! Your going in the right direction with your build. Going to be cool,looking forward to seeing it come together. Not sure that 8" is going to like you making it work so hard.

Matt

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

don't cut that 8in short !!! :wink: pop
pop/glenda

Loner

Post by Loner »

Pops don't you know the shorter you cut it the more you can tub it? :lol: :lol: Or is it the other way around? :wink:

Matt

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Loner wrote:Pops don't you know the shorter you cut it the more you can tub it? :lol: :lol: Or is it the other way around? :wink:

Matt
what OL POP was referring to is that 8in is tougher then given credit to be,,,I've run the same one that is under my comet for 2seasons in a 4spd mustang with 10in slicks,,,have seen them behind BBC on the drag strip for years as well as fords...most people are just hung up on the 9in hipe....jmo.... :wink: :)
pop/glenda

Loner

Post by Loner »

popscomet wrote:
Loner wrote:Pops don't you know the shorter you cut it the more you can tub it? :lol: :lol: Or is it the other way around? :wink:

Matt
what OL POP was referring to is that 8in is tougher then given credit to be,,,I've run the same one that is under my comet for 2seasons in a 4spd mustang with 10in slicks,,,have seen them behind BBC on the drag strip for years as well as fords...most people are just hung up on the 9in hipe....jmo.... :wink: :)
Ya I got that Pop. There's a guy at the local drags running a 7-1/4 every year behind a SBF with a top loader all the locals make bets on if it is going to come apart and so far it's hasn't.
Out here on the west coast it's after 10pm. What are you still doing up? Chilton must be calling you all hours of the night asking questions about Fords.

Matt

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

:lol: :lol: :lol: just got off the phone with the printer,making sure his spelling is correct :lol: :lol: :lol:and it's nearly 1am here and it's just about OL POP's bedtime......yrs ago an old man ran a bright yellow 56 2dr ford with a big block dodge and a 8in gear out of a ford..ran it for yrs,forget his time,,it ran solid every pass ,he never tore that 8in gear up...places like that and my own dealing's with those 8in gears is where I came to respect them,,besides they were more plentiful and cheaper then a 9in....I have a complete 9in for my comet,but it ain't worth the work to change it out,so the 8in is still under it.....have a good day on the morrow...OL POP is calling it a night,,,gotta finish some bush hoggin in the morn before it gets hot and so dang muggy............. :) :wink:
pop/glenda

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Pop and Matt,

Yeah me and Joe had that conversation too! I'm not worried about it's going to mainly be a street car, occasionally take it to the local drag strip.

The 8 / 9 are so common, Joe was saying the eeriest link is the smaller pinion housing on the 8 but just about everything else is the same. Guess we will just have to wait and see! :lol: blowing up the rear would make for a good story!

Ben