YET ANOTHER '65 BUILD

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
BST'65

Re: YET ANOTHER '65 BUILD

Post by BST'65 »

Matt,

Yeah it's been cookin'! But I know I shouldn't complain it's probably no where near the temps you're seeing. I'm only in the 80's :lol:

Well got all the goodies back from the machine shop. Work looks good, first time going this machine shop so I hope it all pans out, got the block paintet up. Start assembly this weekend wife is out of town and she's taking the kid so it'll just be me and the motor! :wink:

Just went with a black on the motor, sorry to the purists no Ford blue for me! 8)

Also made it back out to Joe's place Sunday. We got the chunk done and ready to go, turned out we had it right last time, guess we were a little worn out after a couple beers at 4 AM! :shock:

We tore into the old toploader as well. Turns out I need a new second gear, teeth were worn not to bad but, better safe than sorry! So I'll get that ordered and head back out there to button it up! Thanks again Joe!! :D

More updates and pics to come this weekend!

Thanks,
Ben

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

The purists will be tickled pink with that black motor, because that is the correct color for comets in 65. in 66 they all went blue. But I'm surprised Joe let you get out of there with that rearend a couple shades off. he was pretty anal about it with me, he threatened to fly down & bust in to my shop & re spray it! :lol: :lol:
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Block looks good...get to buildin'!! :) Yup, nothing wrong with black & like Johno said, ''tis correct for a '65!!

I'm gonna name your pumpkin/ chunk "Strawberry Wine"!! :) :lol: :lol: :lol: Shucks, I like the color!! :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

LOOKS GOOD !! me personly...I like a black engine...blue is pretty also.....but in these old 64-65 comets,black is the only way to go.....to those who know,,blue looks out of place..jmo :shock: good luck !!..........pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:The purists will be tickled pink with that black motor, because that is the correct color for comets in 65. in 66 they all went blue. But I'm surprised Joe let you get out of there with that rearend a couple shades off. he was pretty anal about it with me, he threatened to fly down & bust in to my shop & re spray it! :lol: :lol:
Hey Johnnie! Ben brought me beer...so he can paint that thing any color he wants!! :lol:
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

comethead

Post by comethead »

You're welcome Ben!

Joe
Last edited by comethead on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I had a blue engine the first time I built it. It was ok. Second time I went Ford Red. Kinda looked like the body colour, but a little too much like another brand's orange. The third time I went black. Its my favourite by far.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Well that's good to know! I feel the same way that bright blue would just look out of place considering the color I'd like to paint the car in the future.

The color of the chunk comes out with more of pink hue in the photos but, it's actually pretty close to the correct color just a gloss finish. :lol:

Beer is the key! Haha although I don't think any amount of beer would have helped if I'd shown up with a pink chunk! :shock:

Update you guys this weekend, thanks for the support! :D

Thanks,
Ben

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

The chunk looks great. I just love ribbin Joe! :lol:
Johno

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Well before I started on the motor today, I though I would adjust the pre-load on the valves in the I6 in the car. Seemed like some excessive valve noise, so got the valve cover off followed the only way I know how (Following the firing order adjust intake as the exhaust begins to open and the exhaust as the intake begins to open) got her all buttoned back up hoping to hear a smooth valvetrain but . . .

The car won't turn over! It'll crank and crank and crank all damn day but won't start! So I figured maybe I got them too tight and was losing compression so lossened em all up half a turn and still nothing! Loosened them a ton still nothing!

Now that I've been messing with it for 4 hours I'm at a loss of ideas! Any suggestions? There went my motor building day! :cry:

comethead

Post by comethead »

You might have to loosen them all completely and start all over.
That method never works for me on the small block (I know you're doing a 6, not sure if theyre similar). I've gotten them close using the firing order then I start it. With an open top valve cover I adjust each one running.

Joe

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

It's been a while . . .

Things are moving slow but at least there moving. Headed out to Joe's place one more time and we got the old toploader buttoned back up! :lol: Checks two things off the list. Thanks Joe.

Got the crank and cam in the block that only took a whole day hahaha! :oops:

Wen't to put the pistons in and snapped a rod bolt on the first one. Lesson learned always replace your rod bolts with new ones! Better now then later :wink: so got those ordered up and pressed in and went to work gaping rings and slammin' pistons.

Got those all squared away and didn't touch her for another couple weeks. Broke out the tools and got the cam degreed in today.

What a relief that was, majority of the time consuming stuff is done. For never having done a lot of this things tend to take bit longer. :roll: Was going to button up the front end and realized I didn't have a timing pointer always something. :mrgreen:

So I will get that ordered up and button up the front end. Then to measure for pushrods and PTV clearance and she will be ready to roll! Getting excited as I am getting closer.

More updates to come hopefully sooner than later. :lol:

Thanks,

Ben

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

:shock: :shock: BEER and ROD BOLTS and torque don't mix.....next it'll be a pan bolt then a VC BOLT ,oh ! forgot the head bolt.....then you'll adjust the muffler bearing wrong and you'll burn it out and you'll knock the engine stand over with your motor on it and if nothing else....you end up with a crack in your shop floor....OL POP was like you yrs ago....TEN FT TALL AND BULLET PROOF !!!!! :wink: 8) ,,,OL POP just hopes you have as much FUN as I did :wink: CARRY on my friend,,,just don't drop the engine on a fender.........always use the correct wrench...a crescent just rounds off the head... :lol: .....I post this with just a single thought,,,BEEN THERE ..DONE THAT :shock: :D OH ,be sure to remove that screw driver from your rear pocket before sitting down behind the steering whl :roll: good luck !!!.....pop :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

BST'65 wrote:It's been a while . . .

Things are moving slow but at least there moving. Headed out to Joe's place one more time and we got the old toploader buttoned back up! :lol: Checks two things off the list. Thanks Joe.

Got the crank and cam in the block that only took a whole day hahaha! :oops:

Wen't to put the pistons in and snapped a rod bolt on the first one. Lesson learned always replace your rod bolts with new ones! Better now then later :wink: so got those ordered up and pressed in and went to work gaping rings and slammin' pistons.

Got those all squared away and didn't touch her for another couple weeks. Broke out the tools and got the cam degreed in today.

What a relief that was, majority of the time consuming stuff is done. For never having done a lot of this things tend to take bit longer. :roll: Was going to button up the front end and realized I didn't have a timing pointer always something. :mrgreen:

So I will get that ordered up and button up the front end. Then to measure for pushrods and PTV clearance and she will be ready to roll! Getting excited as I am getting closer.

More updates to come hopefully sooner than later. :lol:

Thanks,

Ben
Glad to help out again Ben!
Looks like you're going to have a killer set up. Can't wait to take a drive in it and get the hell scared out of me :lol:
Keep on trucking and it'll be done before you know it.

Joe

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

It appears this is a late model block like I have sitting at home but I am far of needing it yet.
I was messing with it a little and I noticed the main bearing caps seem to be a very tight fit.I realize they need to be and I haven't tried in earnest because there is no need yet .Patience young grasshopper and all that ..I bought this block from a machine shop on a road trip to the US so I sure hope they didn't mix up the caps from another block
Did you notice your caps were really tight when tapping them on during your assembly? there doesn't seem to be any burs or anything, I have put lots of motors together of various descriptions and they are usually a nice tap in locational fit.
your thoughts?