Sanderson Header Fit on a '64

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kyudizky

Sanderson Header Fit on a '64

Post by kyudizky »

Have any of you fine folks had any issue with Sanderson shorties fitting correctly? Especially on the passenger side? FF3GTS is the model they recommended and therefore purchased.

The pic attached is taken from the from of the motor back towards the firewall on the passenger side. The very front tube that, that drops the lowest headed towards the collector is hitting the the top of the motor frame mount, on the little tab that sticks up above the rubber on the mount, causing me to have to raise the header up to mate it with the surface of the head, which in turn does not allow the bolt holes or exhaust ports to line up. The motor mounts are stock for a '64.

Any suggestions? My first thought was to just grind the "tab" down that sticks up above the rubber. Would this create an issue?

Shorties weren't my first choice for headers but went with these (after reading suggestions on here) in an effort to avoid any fitment issue with new SOT suspension and Unisteer manual I am putting in. And still have an issue, and haven't even tried the driver side yet.

I looked at buying a new mount thinking that the mount rubber may have settle/compressed causing the motor to drop and creating my issue. But I can only find the mount itself, without the rubber, which would do me no good. Couldn't even find in on the mustang part sites.

The forum is giving this error message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached" when trying to attach the picture, so the dropbox link below has the picture.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fux49lqprkvlg ... 0.JPG?dl=0

Appreciate the help,

poboyjo65

Re: Sanderson Header Fit on a '64

Post by poboyjo65 »

Would be a great time to replace that old dried up motor mount,it could be contributing to the problem. then grind the new one if it needs it.
Johno

kyudizky

Post by kyudizky »

I was going, but it seams i can't find anyone that sells the rubber piece with the mount, just the metal bracket. I even checked the mustang catalogs that carry everything.

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I had to trim my motor mounts when I installed headers, although I don't remember if it was the long tubes I modified to fit or the hedman shorties I have now. As far as I know, SBF motor mounts are pretty much the same and available new from most parts suppliers. Its the frame mounts that are different between different vehicles. Get some new ones and pin the drivers side so engine torque doesnt pull it apart.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

kyudizky wrote:I was going, but it seams i can't find anyone that sells the rubber piece with the mount, just the metal bracket. I even checked the mustang catalogs that carry everything.
Go to Rockauto.com and type in the search bar "1965 mustang motor mounts" select 289 engine and they'll pop up. Less than $10 per side.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

comethead

Post by comethead »

Heres the engine mount isolator https://m.summitracing.com/parts/pio-60 ... oCVNfw_wcB
There's a left and right- 2220 and 2221.

You'll find that there's some adjustability in the engine mounts.
You'll have to take the weight off with a cherry picker and loosen the engine and trans mounts. The whole engine/trans assembly will move around some up /down and front to back. It may help your situation.

Joe
Last edited by comethead on Fri May 26, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

comethead

Post by comethead »

redhotcomet wrote:
kyudizky wrote:I was going, but it seams i can't find anyone that sells the rubber piece with the mount, just the metal bracket. I even checked the mustang catalogs that carry everything.
Go to Rockauto.com and type in the search bar "1965 mustang motor mounts" select 289 engine and they'll pop up. Less than $10 per side.
I must have been typing when you replied! I'm old and slow! :lol:
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Anchor brand mounts (B2220 & B2221) are decent for the $ and you can pin them if needed (http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/engine- ... ounts.html). "Clearancing" an ear shouldn't cause any issues!! :D :D :lol:

Interesting to know there's a header for R&P w/o full MII front... Though I'd think your issue would/ could crop-up regardless...huh!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

kyudizky

Post by kyudizky »

Thanks.

I order a pair and have them on the way. Hopefully a new set alleviate the issue but will shave the top of the frame mount if necessary.

Appreciate the help,