SoT Coilover/Spindle Issue

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kyudizky

SoT Coilover/Spindle Issue

Post by kyudizky »

Well, nothing I install ever goes as easy as I'd hoped....

Got the Street or Track control arms installed and the spindle put back on and
1) the bump stop on is hitting one of the spindle bolts, although not a real issue as i can get a short bolt to correct this, but once i do this, problem 2 is going to happen
2) the spindle is going to hit the stop on the LCA at the very bottom and almost underneath the stop. (link to picture below). Car had the disc brake conversion done by previous owner so i do not know if my spindles are originals or not. I suppose I will need to get new spindles but not sure which one to get, as i would sure like not to have to buy all new rotor and brakes as the ones i have seem pretty new. Any suggestions?

picture is of the passenger side but is happening on both sides.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2t8el3befznr ... .JPG?dl=0b

I guess my latest problem is partly a natural result of buying a car and not knowing the full history or what parts came from what...

poboyjo65

Re: SoT Coilover/Spindle Issue

Post by poboyjo65 »

Is the susp dropped or at ride height?
Johno

kyudizky

Post by kyudizky »

It has the Shelby drop, used the jig that SoT supplies with their coilover system.

Do I have to have dropped spindles as well to accommodate the Shelby drop (please excuse my ignorance).

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Sorry, I meant is the suspension hanging or drooped ,as it would if you jacked up the car by the frame? if so it could change the point of contact slightly. perhaps you could weld on a piece in the right spot. The spindles look like my 65 spindles from what I can tell.

& if you are using a Rack & pinion unit the rack may limit the travel & stops may never touch. that is one of the downfalls of a R&P, (a larger turning radius) but may work out to your advantage.
Johno

kyudizky

Post by kyudizky »

It is hanging in the picture and thought of that too. I did raise the spindle by hand and while it did change the dynamic, it did so very marginally and still hitting the stop very low.

I am installing a Unisteer manual R&P but don't have it on just yet to check and see if it does prevent turing to full lock. Will have to check that out.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I wouldn't worry about then since you are using a R&P, I think it will limit the travel but you'll know for sure when you mock it up. onward! :D
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

poboyjo65 wrote:I wouldn't worry about then since you are using a R&P, I think it will limit the travel but you'll know for sure when you mock it up. onward! :D
This - I'm with John...I think rack travel will be "self-limiting"...the stops won't play a factor. And if they do, assuming I'm gettin the picture right...trim 'em down!! :D :D :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)