Seats

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Rocket989

Re: Seats

Post by Rocket989 »

Looks great & love that the kids are helping out!! I’m one for two so far but it’s still early...and some of that may be my fault!! x2...Pop (mine) travelled all week when I was a kid...always had Ford vans. I remember changing the oil for him starting about 5. Still think about sticking the spout in the oil CANS!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

fair67

Post by fair67 »

I do the welding of new metal and painting of the car. My wife is very good at bodywork filling blocksanding and straightening. My daughters are learning everything with the exception of welding for now. We made a paint booth in our garage to paint the cars consisted of plastic walls LOL. We will most likely do the same for the Comet but we wanna get everything squared away before we paint it. To tell the truth the paint right now is not terrible it will do for now. I was thinking someone would door ding it anyway when she drives it to school so we may wait a bit on paint but we will definately fix any rust issues and take care of any chrome work needed.

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

That is so cool that your family is all in on the projects. Wished my kids wanted me to help them build an old car to drive.
tomb's 65

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

great pictures, Looks like your daughter's been into cars literally for quite some time.I am sure she appreciates the fact you are taking the time with her now and will look fondly on the time spent.Nice looking Fairlaine .I have never seen a stock one up close.Maybe you could post some more pics In the" all in the family" part of the forum.

fair67

Post by fair67 »

tomb22 wrote:That is so cool that your family is all in on the projects. Wished my kids wanted me to help them build an old car to drive.
Thanks for the reply I am pretty lucky they show interest. When she said she liked the Comet when we went to look at it I figured we better get it because it wont be long and she will be in College and too busy.

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:great pictures, Looks like your daughter's been into cars literally for quite some time.I am sure she appreciates the fact you are taking the time with her now and will look fondly on the time spent.Nice looking Fairlaine .I have never seen a stock one up close.Maybe you could post some more pics In the" all in the family" part of the forum.
Yes both of them started very young helping in the garage and going to Fairlane Club of America National meets for many years. Both of them can pretty much answer any question about a 67 Fairlane. It was funny at shows they could answer peoples questions about the car..LOL.. I will try and get some pics posted in there. This Comet will not be restored to the Level of the Fairlanes but it should end up being presentable. There is a learning curve working on this Comet we are all used to Fairlanes this is fun though.

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Well it is coming along had to do a few other things now back on the interior.
http://picpaste.com/25627681_1015600627 ... nPXT5Z.jpg

fair67

Post by fair67 »

The front seat is in our living room now and my daughter has put a cover on it. She sits in it with her best buddies sunglasses on pretending she is driving the car. The covers are not looking as good as they do now because that is an older picture. I know that they are far from the original seats but for now this is in the budget. A set of covers in original is super expensive. She has since got these covers looking better on this split bench seat. We are on a budget for this car but she is ok with the 80.00 covers for now. The money saved will be used in other areas that is much needed. The original seats are really tore up so we had to do something because of tears and missing padding. Heres a picture keep in mind it has been adjusted and looks a little better. All I know she is happy with them for now because the seats were a train wreck so thats good enough for me.
http://picpaste.com/26103151_1015601911 ... LimnTS.jpg

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

My original seat cover in my Comet was an old quilt, it worked for a couple of years and then my granny redid them for me, she sewed new cloth in and kept the old vinyl part, they served until I got the GM buckets out of a Ford PU in the JY that are worn diamond stitched dark red velour (they are still sitting in the shed), I never cared along as I had something to sit on so I could drive :P

Maybe this time I will have better seats, honestly I don't care as long as I have something to sit on to drive the car.

Keep us updated, I enjoy seeing progress and I love your that your daughter and wife are involved in the project.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

fair67

Post by fair67 »

lavron wrote:My original seat cover in my Comet was an old quilt, it worked for a couple of years and then my granny redid them for me, she sewed new cloth in and kept the old vinyl part, they served until I got the GM buckets out of a Ford PU in the JY that are worn diamond stitched dark red velour (they are still sitting in the shed), I never cared along as I had something to sit on so I could drive :P

Maybe this time I will have better seats, honestly I don't care as long as I have something to sit on to drive the car.

Keep us updated, I enjoy seeing progress and I love your that your daughter and wife are involved in the project.

See Ya,
Mike
I appreciate the reply she is pretty excited about the car and will start learning to drive here in a Month. We got our work cut out for us but it is getting there. The weather has taken a turn for the worse here so working on the car has slowed down a little bit.
Thanks

fair67

Post by fair67 »

My daughter is pretty excited just got the front seat in and the carpet in also. Need to fit edges of carpet now she is sitting in the car pretending to drive it. Ha Ha.
http://picpaste.com/pics/26696196_10156 ... 536122.jpg

http://picpaste.com/pics/26754482_10156 ... 536269.jpg

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looking good! 8) Need to adjust that tach, though. :lol: :lol:
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Looking good! 8) Need to adjust that tach, though. :lol: :lol:
Jim
:lol: :lol: watching that tach and texting, while driving ought to fall under the same LAW :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: ..SEATS LOOK MIGHTY SPIFFY,,,........POP :!: :)
pop/glenda

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Had to replace the defroster vent tubes so had to remove the Tach to take the grill off. I wish the tach was the only problem left to fix..LOL