Power steering

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
fair67

Power steering

Post by fair67 »

I am wondering if the 64 comet power steering is the same for 65 because the car we bought has had it removed. I would like to replace it so my daughter can drive the car easier. Any help or advice appreciated the one pictured is for sale from a 64 Comet we have a 65.
Thank You
http://picpaste.com/pics/21463198_14730 ... 036809.jpg

Lou's Comet

Re: Power steering

Post by Lou's Comet »

The 64 linkage is different than the 65. Pump, hoses and cyl "may" work, I don't know, but the linkage, tie rods , centerlink, etc are different from 64 to 65

Lou

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

'65 steering is better than '64.

It is a common upgrade for '64 guys to swap over to '65 steering components.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Should work as long as the pitman arm is the right size for your steering box sector shaft.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

fair67 wrote:I am wondering if the 64 comet power steering is the same for 65 because the car we bought has had it removed. I would like to replace it so my daughter can drive the car easier. Any help or advice appreciated the one pictured is for sale from a 64 Comet we have a 65.
Thank You
The pic you posted is correct for 65, that's what you want to help eliminate bump steer.
Here's a comparison between 64 and 65 manual steering centerlinks. With power the control valve is added onto the centerlink on drivers end.
Steering1.jpg
Steering1.jpg (106.8 KiB) Viewed 3422 times
Notice the tie rod connects to the centerlink 3" in from the idler arm and pitman arm connections. This what makes the difference in bump steer. The rest of it is the spindles.
Ron

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Lou's Comet wrote:The 64 linkage is different than the 65. Pump, hoses and cyl "may" work, I don't know, but the linkage, tie rods , centerlink, etc are different from 64 to 65

Lou
Thank you that is what I wondered.

fair67

Post by fair67 »

lavron wrote:'65 steering is better than '64.

It is a common upgrade for '64 guys to swap over to '65 steering components.

See Ya,
Mike
That is good to know thank you.

fair67

Post by fair67 »

redhotcomet wrote:Should work as long as the pitman arm is the right size for your steering box sector shaft.
I will look at the pitman arm to see if it is the same thanks.

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Comechero65 wrote:
fair67 wrote:I am wondering if the 64 comet power steering is the same for 65 because the car we bought has had it removed. I would like to replace it so my daughter can drive the car easier. Any help or advice appreciated the one pictured is for sale from a 64 Comet we have a 65.
Thank You
The pic you posted is correct for 65, that's what you want to help eliminate bump steer.
Here's a comparison between 64 and 65 manual steering centerlinks. With power the control valve is added onto the centerlink on drivers end.
Steering1.jpg
Notice the tie rod connects to the centerlink 3" in from the idler arm and pitman arm connections. This what makes the difference in bump steer. The rest of it is the spindles.
Ron
Thank you very much for the pictures it sure does help. My car still has the centerlink and the control valve everything else is gone. The trick will be figuring out how it goes on the car.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Use an expanded drawing of the steering will help. You have the centerlink just mount the ram and anchor bracket. Use the stock bracket but avoid the drop down bracket as it is flimsy and will fail unless you make some major mods to strengthen it. Get the pump then the right hoses to connect everything.
There are some caveats though. If the ram you get is rebuilt be aware that everytime they rebuild a ram the overall length gets shorter which could limit turning radius. Also the hoses that connect the ram to the control valve need to get longer. If the longest ones that are available are too short you would have to have custom hoses fab'd.
Routing of the hoses down to the control valve have to be done just right so they don't get stretched and damaged. It's nice to have another car to use to help all that. Borrow someones car that has ps to compare. Take pics of it. Can advise on many details.
I have had ford ps on two cars including the present one. I removed all that and installed electric power steering and removed all the ford stuff. Not sorry either.
Ron
This might help:
2665PsSteering.jpg
2665PsSteering.jpg (163.78 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
Ford pump shown, Eaton pump takes different hoses but will also work. With eaton pump takes a remote reservoir when you have ac. Two different ford pumps for 65/66. One with canted filler, one straight up. For ac you need the canted version. But use a 67 pump and it will be the smaller canted neck for all. That's the preferred model.
Last edited by Comechero65 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thank You
I rebuilt a 65 Comet power steering system some time ago for a Falcon project that went away. I'd consider selling it if you're interested.
If you are send me a PM.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Comechero65 wrote:Use an expanded drawing of the steering will help. You have the centerlink just mount the ram and anchor bracket. Use the stock bracket but avoid the drop down bracket as it is flimsy and will fail unless you make some major mods to strengthen it. Get the pump then the right hoses to connect everything.
There are some caveats though. If the ram you get is rebuilt be aware that everytime they rebuild a ram the overall length gets shorter which could limit turning radius. Also the hoses that connect the ram to the control valve need to get longer. If the longest ones that are available are too short you would have to have custom hoses fab'd.
Routing of the hoses down to the control valve have to be done just right so they don't get stretched and damaged. It's nice to have another car to use to help all that. Borrow someones car that has ps to compare. Take pics of it. Can advise on many details.
I have had ford ps on two cars including the present one. I removed all that and installed electric power steering and removed all the ford stuff. Not sorry either.
Ron
This might help:
2665PsSteering.jpg
Ford pump shown, Eaton pump takes different hoses but will also work. With eaton pump takes a remote reservoir when you have ac. Two different ford pumps for 65/66. One with canted filler, one straight up. For ac you need the canted version. But use a 67 pump and it will be the smaller canted neck for all. That's the preferred model.
I must thank you very much you have a great amount of info here that definatly helps me out. Thank you it is greatly appreciated.

fair67

Post by fair67 »

comethead wrote:
Thank You
I rebuilt a 65 Comet power steering system some time ago for a Falcon project that went away. I'd consider selling it if you're interested.
If you are send me a PM.

Joe
I am not sure how to take your post to be honest. My daughter really wants to drive this car so I would like to do all I can to help her. However I definitely see what you mean about selling it the front brakes went from replacing shoes to Self adjusters completely missing and the drums and bearings completely shot and of course both wheel cylinders leaking like crazy.(all replaced and new now) So then I look at the rear brakes and the shoes are shot the wheel cylinders seized and the axle seals leaking. So I pull the axles find both bearings shot and the pinion seal leaking along with the carrier seal. So I pull the center section end up rebuilding the bearings in it and seals. I now have it all back together and this is just the beginning so yes it is very frustrating but luckily for me some people are offering alot of much needed and appreciated help with this overwhelming project.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Sorry if the post was unclear.
I sold the Falcon I had planned to overhaul.
I still have the 65 power steering parts that I rebuilt.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Which ever way you go for pumps make sure to get the right mounting brackets. Maybe I should explain the reason why the rams get shorter is each time they rebuild one they have to cut the end off, rebuild it then weld it back together. That's what makes them shorter. After they get rebuilt several times they won't have the travel length they once had and may not be enough for travel of steering from stop to stop. If it has never been rebuilt or more than once it may be ok.
The warning on the drop down bracket, there is a post on Stangerssite showing what can happen if it is used without any re-enforcement. The dropdown bracket is to accommedate the power steering clearing the exhaust. I have used the dropdown bracket but I modified it to make it stronger. Tnen removed all the ford stuff when I installed the eps.
Anything to help.

The pic you show on Picpaste is a 65 unit with eaton pump which would work but not if you have ac as the pump reservoir is in the way and would need relocated to the fender. If you have no ac then no problem.

The setup Joe has may be the same or his may have the ford pump instead of the Eaton. Either will work without ac,

Ron