HEMMINGS MUSCLE MACHINES

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
thos25

HEMMINGS MUSCLE MACHINES

Post by thos25 »

I'm not sure if this the right place to ask this but here goes! Has anyone ever tried to reach Jim O'Clair at Hemmings Muscle Machines "Swap Meets"? He answers tech questions and I can't seem to crack the code on the web site. If you have used this could you give me some help as to how to access his column? I have a tech question regarding my speedometer or lack there of on my 65 CYCLONE. Some of you older fellas may remember we have had several lengthy discussions on this forum about this issue with no results. I have pursued several of the excellent suggestions given here with no results. All I want is a working speedo! As some may recall the car is a 65 CYCLONE, 289 with a BW-T10 and 3.00 rear. The T-10 is DEFINETLY the problem. Its a great tranny but ...
Thanks, TOM

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: HEMMINGS MUSCLE MACHINES

Post by A/FX »

I do not remember the discussion but a speedo problem is not that complicated. If you know for sure the head is working correctly and that he cable is rotating as it should then yes the T10 could be the issue. There is a radial gear on the trans output shaft that should mesh with the speedo cable gear, if this is not meshing or if the trans gear is stripped that could be the problem. You did not mention your location but I know in this area (Milwaukee, WI.) we have a speedo shop that can find and repair the problem in their shop. ( Speedometer Service Comapny on Villard Ave.) Have you removed the tail shaft housing and inspected the radial gear? What is the condition of the speedo cable gear? They are colored to determine ratio, if you have the incorrect plastic gear it will not mesh with the radial gear and distroy itself.
Make sure the cable is lubed and does not have any tight radius bends
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

thos25

Post by thos25 »

Hi Jim, Thank you for your reply and hints. Unfortunately I have done all of those things and MANY more. The speedo drive gear is a steel affair and is a smaller OD than the black plastic ones sold on the after market. The driven gear is new and correct for a 3.00 rear end with my tires and rims. The cable is also new and the dash instrument runs smoothly with an electric drill. I have disassembled it and cleaned and lubed the instrument properly.
The problem lies in the drive gear and driven gear not meshing due to the smaller OD of the driver. I have enlisted the help of several transmission shops around the country by telephone and many point to a rare T-10 used in fairlane, galaxie and sunbeam tigers in the very early 60's. The drive gears sold by the after market crowd are for Toploaders and their output shafts have a larger diameter than the T-10. By the way, have you ever enlisted the Hemmings Muscle Car Forum (Jim O'Claire) of which I mentioned? I have been unable to wade through that website to ask my questions.
Once again for your kind reply and suggestions. Kind Regards, TOM

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

The T10 had a larger driver gear than a toploader. If someone installed one for a toploader they will never mesh. I have a gear for a left side but not a right side drive. Those gears are rare and hard to find for a T10. I could never find one for mine.

This should work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-65-66-Mustan ... Sw9N1V29Qo

Ron

thos25

Post by thos25 »

Hey RON,
Thanks for your reply. You seem to be the only guy who has also encountered this problem. I'm glad I am not alone. Anyway the modification you show in your pictures did not work for me. I tried it and found that while it adapts the inside diameter of the TOP LOADER part to the smaller T-10 shaft it does not increase the OD of the drive gear, hence, still no contact with the driven gear. You are certainly correct when you say that these buggars, ( correct T-10 Drive Gear) are REALLY hard to find.
THANKS AGAIN for your help.
Kind Regards, TOM

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

thos25 wrote:Hey RON,
Thanks for your reply. You seem to be the only guy who has also encountered this problem. I'm glad I am not alone. Anyway the modification you show in your pictures did not work for me. I tried it and found that while it adapts the inside diameter of the TOP LOADER part to the smaller T-10 shaft it does not increase the OD of the drive gear, hence, still no contact with the driven gear. You are certainly correct when you say that these buggars, ( correct T-10 Drive Gear) are REALLY hard to find.
THANKS AGAIN for your help.
Kind Regards, TOM
When I saw that part posted I hoped it was a solution to a much needed gear however I wondered if that gear were one for a toploader meaning it still would be too small to mate the gears properly. I did find a gear several years ago that i was able to fit to the t10 shaft but it too was too small. the gears still didn't mesh but by doing some fudging I was able to force the housing on the end of the cable to tilt and was able to get the teeth to mesh. Never used the trans but it is ready to go should i or someone else were to stick a speedo cable into it with ther correct driven gear.
I've had the thought that maybw a gear like in that kit could be cut and the gap spead apart to get the correct od then mold in some similar plastic material to fill in the gap and to create the missing threads and tweack it so the threads would align with the cut ends. Would take some detailed hand work but I think it could be done. Once complete a mold could be created of the whole thing then more could be cast from the mold. Could fill a need for the market. Just wild thinking I guess.
Ron

comethead

Post by comethead »

Many GM cars had the T10 and Super T10. Have you tried those types of speedo gears?
If the Ford T10 parts pool is empty maybe the GM side could work.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Don't know a lot about the super t10 but what I have picked up most of the super t10 was different with few interchangeable parts. But you never know you may run across someone who know them well.
Ron