San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
RideAndShoot

Re: San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

Post by RideAndShoot »

SASSY wrote:Really enjoying your build and attitude. I think the chop on a sedan will turn the too tall 2dr into a great looker! 2 inches or more?
Gonna spend a couple months in ElCentro if I get to San Diego coffee's on me.
Fred
Thanks! Thinking 3”-3.5”. I really gotta cut it off and start dropping it to see where it should be. 2” is probably the right proportion the factory should have gone with, but I want it to look like a chop. What’s bringing you to El Centro? I’ll tske you up on that if you make it this way.

Got my new smaller tires on the rear. From 195/60 to 175/65. Dropped the rear to sit much closer to level and gave me that little extra room I need to finally get the skirts on for good! So happy with it. It’ll also allow me to stiffen the rear shocks a bit more and not look too tall back there.

Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

"What's bringing me to El Centro,,,,"
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

seems the weather would have something to do with it...calling for alittle of that white stuff here in a few days :shock: :| pop
pop/glenda

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Fred, that’ll do it! I’ve seen falling snow maybe 5 times in my life, my kids have never seen it. Ha! We drive up to the snow for the day once a year. Other then that day, low 40’s is as cold as we get. Nights have been a little chilly lately, so I’ve had to wear a sweater(shorts and sandals still) while walking the dog at night. Even wore a light beanie one morning!
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

naviondude

Post by naviondude »

Look Ma no handles!

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I worked outside my entire career,(mailman,on foot) in Saskatchewan Canada which is gawd aweful cold in the winter. Sad to say I have delivered mail in 40 degrees below 0 more times than I want to remember so anything I can do to get away from snow is tops on my list. We have spent a fare amount of time in Oceanside and decided to change it up this year and try the desert. Even took our Comet down one winter and entered a couple a shows.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

SASSY wrote:I worked outside my entire career,(mailman,on foot) in Saskatchewan Canada which is gawd aweful cold in the winter. Sad to say I have delivered mail in 40 degrees below 0 more times than I want to remember so anything I can do to get away from snow is tops on my list. We have spent a fare amount of time in Oceanside and decided to change it up this year and try the desert. Even took our Comet down one winter and entered a couple a shows.

That sounds like hell! I work construction, but it’s mostly indoors. I set my wet saw up outside. Even then, when it’s in the 50s or lower I throw a heater in the water. Guess I’m pretty spoiled. Can’t blame ya for wanting to get as far away as possible. El Centro is a pretty lazy town. Oceanside is nice too. What shows down here did you enter?

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You can keep your -40*! Our weather has been weird here in SC for the last week or so. It's ranged from the high 40's to low 60's during the days, with 30's to upper 20's at night. Then today, it's sunny and 76*! :shock:
Jim

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

-40?!?!?!?!! :shock: :shock: :o
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

RideAndShoot wrote:What shows down here did you enter?
The Vista burger cruise, Oceanside Elementary fund raiser(picture), Escondido Cruising Grand fund raiser, their first Cruising Grand of the season, also drove it down to Del Ray Good Guys but didn't enter, too many rules and money.
I think that's all.
Got one nice little trophy, great keepsake at Oceanside.
Fred
IMG1777_zps5c016eda.jpg
IMG1777_zps5c016eda.jpg (162.69 KiB) Viewed 2998 times

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

I'd love to see 40 degrees here in Michigan. I took the mag wheels off and put them in the basement. I replaced them with the compact spares and on roller skates so I can move it around the garage. My Comet even looks cold and pathetic with the little wheels. I have alot of projects come spring and can hardly wait. After Christmas, I can see Florida in my future, at least I can go to car shows and enjoy some warm weather. Andy

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

My cars are set up with--Block heaters,oil and transmission pan heaters, Synthetic oils and a trickle battery charger.
Cars are plugged into timers that we change with temps. Once we are in the -30 to -50 time the power is always on.
Our post lady will deliver every day except Sunday. I would not want her job at -50 with the window down!!!
NP Dave

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Man! You really ARE Santa! That's North Pole weather! :shock:
Jim

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

After hearing about those temperatures, I'll quit whinning about 25 degrees here in Michigan. Andy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

ALL OF IT is long handle wearing time to OL POP :!:
pop/glenda