San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lip Ripper

Re: San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

Post by Lip Ripper »

Very nice. What will the finish color be?

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looks great! Why can you cut the windshield, but not the rear glass? :?
Jim

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Jim, thanks! The windshield is laminated safety glass, so it stays together while cutting. It’s also why a rock chips your windshield instead of exploding it. Something with enough force to chip the center of a windshield will explode the safety glass the rest of the way around the car. I would have gone with a smaller round window, or even found a similar shaped windshield and had that cut to fit for the back. But sinking it is an option I thought I was capable of, and the others I’d have to pay for. Lol. Plus, the end result will be the same. You’ll never know the rear glass extends into the truck when I’m done.

Stacey, thanks! I think a darkish gun metal grey gloss body, with a light pewter/silvery matte top and accent arrow. Almost reverse of what it is now. I think those colors and finishing will compliment the chop and even add the the low appearance.
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Really like the way the chop happened.
Moving the roof instead of stretching it the framed side windows, sinking the rear,,
Hard to believe it's your second roof,, appears to be a calling!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Thanks Fred. Second roof, but kinda my third chop. The same guy I chopped the ‘68 Impala for had me do a car before that when I had zero experience. We took a B body caprice wagon(I know, it’s the ‘other’ brand) and cut the back off to make as he puts it, a “B Body Impala SS”. We worked on wrapping up a couple loose ends on that yesterday.

Today I head rolled a strip and curved it to match the trunk lid, then welded it to the bottom of the trunk deck panel. It needed some strength to hold the shape properly, and it looks tons better. Here’s pics.

Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Welded in the right side C pillar, cut the package tray down shorter, braced it, and started bracing the lower window frame. Also tossed in the passenger seat so I could take my little one for a cruise.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Great pic man! It’s great seeing kids dig old (to them!!) rides!! :D
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Not much to report other than I finally got my vintage custom plates in. Motor on my truck blew, so the Comet is my daily driver for the time being.

loman

Post by loman »

RideAndShoot wrote:Not much to report other than I finally got my vintage custom plates in. Motor on my truck blew, so the Comet is my daily driver for the time being.

Bummer about the truck, but the Comet as a daily driver is cool.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

loman wrote:
RideAndShoot wrote:Not much to report other than I finally got my vintage custom plates in. Motor on my truck blew, so the Comet is my daily driver for the time being.

Bummer about the truck, but the Comet as a daily driver is cool.
what he said ^ & nice tag! :D
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Crud man - what happened to the motor in the truck?!?
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Rocket989 wrote:Crud man - what happened to the motor in the truck?!?

Fuel management module malfunctioned, causing a few of the injectors to stop spitting fuel, those cylinders to overheat and crack the block. Fun stuff! $8.5k later, my truck should be ready in a couple more weeks. That stings. But I love the truck and should get a few hundred thousand more miles out of it now. Hopefully.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Alright, it’s been a long while since I last posted! I moved out to DFW, Texas shortly after my last post. We visited and love it. I don’t have a shop out here or even a garage big enough for the comet, so it’s sadly in nearly the same state it was in. The weather here doesn’t allow every night of wrenching like San Diego did. Ha.

So for the thing au have accomplished. I have started on getting the window tracks and wing windows fit. Not having windows wasn’t a big deal in SD but sure is here. I’ve started in cutting and welding up the A pillar trim pieces to fit the chop now as well. I had shaved the front vent and windshield wipers, which again was fine for SD but not so smart for Texas. Lol. So I’ll end up with a vintage air AC under the dash I’m sure.

I originally wanted to sink some blinkers behind the corner caps, I started that. Pulled the caps off, cut out the inner grooves on the portaband, and the. Hand filed them smooth. Took some perforated aluminum and bent it to fit the inside shape. Ordered some 1157 twist lock bulb sockets, and made the mounting bases for them. Used rivnuts to secure the mounts and hold the super bright LEDs in place. WAY bright than the stock blinkers and way more noticeable. Also a super cool look!

The brakes were never great, and I plan on a Mustang II front end with disc brakes up front in the future. But for now I resolved the leaking drum master cylinders at each corner and the brake MC as well.

Not sure I ever posted this, but I did mount a GunVault pistol safe under the dash, just to keep my carry gun secure if I go places I can’t have it on my person(not often).

I couldn’t stand the stock shift knob, so I made a new one. These praying hands are hand carved from Olive wood and come from Jerusalem.

Despite the lack of windows and AC, we still drove it around the lot over the last couple summers! So she’s not just sitting stagnant.

https://i.imgur.com/fQBTCMi.gifV

https://i.imgur.com/pmAmDoD.gifV

Last edited by RideAndShoot on Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Also forgot I fit up and put on this hood ornament I found at the swap meet. No idea what it came off of, do any of you?

Last edited by RideAndShoot on Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I came across your thread a while back and thought you must have fallen off the edge of the earth. You kinda left us hanging on your project. :lol: Great to see you back.
You do some really good custom work, but you're definitely going to need windows and AC in DWF. Not sure what happened to your pictures, but they all posted as links that you have to open one at a time, which is a PITA. See if imgur has a "hot link to forums" option. That's what postimage calls it, anyway.
Not sure about your hood ornament, but it looks kinda like one from a Pontiac from back in the late 40's/50's, but more stylized. :?

Jim