San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Rocket989

Re: San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

Post by Rocket989 »

Lookin’ good - throw some TTD rims on it & plumb in a junkyard turbo!! :D :mrgreen: :shock:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Dropped the back 2” using lowering blocks from Butch’s Cool Stuff. The aluminum blocks didn’t have a big enough hole in the center, so I had to kill it out. The U bolts were also 3/8 wider than the stock ones, so I killed out the bottom plate a bit and higher out the holes on the spring pack lower plate. Got it all together last night and it wasn’t low enough. So I used an aluminum block I had laying around and milled an additional 1” spacer to go on top of the 2” spacer. Made it so they dropped into the top of he ones from Butch’s, so nothing will move. Gonna put some stiffer air shocks in the back tomorrow so I stop dagging and doing the Shelby drop up front soon as well.

Here’s a shot of my lovely wife in front of the car, at my brother in law’s birthday party.

Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Both look great.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

That’s lowww!! The Shelby “drop” doesn’t drop it much but improves the geometry a lot. You may have to nip a coil +... looks good!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

loman

Post by loman »

That lowrider looks like it is a fun cruiser and attention getter! Thumbs up from me.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Thanks guys! Got some Monroe air shocks today to stiffen up the rear a bit.

Question about steering. I’m searching and finding a lot of info but I’m getting confused. If I want to upgrade the manual steering, the 65 way to go. Is the difference between the 65 v8 and straight6 steering only in the sturdier parts and 4 lug to 5 lug?

So if I get Center link and rest of the steering from a 65(straight 6) for my 64(straight 6), do I need to swap the spindles as well? Or can I just use the centerlink, pitman arm, and tie rods and keep my 64 spindles for now?
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

No unfortunately the 65 v8 manual steering stuff is what you need ,spindles & all.no mixing up years or problems will arise- you're better off with what you have now. 65's had better geometry. You can get all of it except the centerlink for a mustang at any stang vendor. But the center link has to be for a 65 comet/falcon v8.

Your car is lookin smooth! :D Shelby drop will give you 5/8 to 3/4'' drop, but cutting a whole coil & shelby drop might be too low with old springs. You might think about 1/2 coil on one side for a test look. If it isnt low enough cut another half.
Johno

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

poboyjo65 wrote:No unfortunately the 65 v8 manual steering stuff is what you need ,spindles & all.no mixing up years or problems will arise- you're better off with what you have now. 65's had better geometry. You can get all of it except the centerlink for a mustang at any stang vendor. But the center link has to be for a 65 comet/falcon v8.

Your car is lookin smooth! :D Shelby drop will give you 5/8 to 3/4'' drop, but cutting a whole coil & shelby drop might be too low with old springs. You might think about 1/2 coil on one side for a test look. If it isnt low enough cut another half.

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up for me. I know exactly what to look for now.

Thanks, I think that’s all she’ll need to look right(Shelby drop)! I’ve got spring compressors, so I figured I would compress out a half coil and hose clamp it like that in order to see how it looks before any torching or cutting.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Did the Shelby drop up front and got the Monroe air shocks installed in the back. Could probably stand to let a bit more air out of the back. Around 50psi right now. I think I’m don’t screwing with the suspension for now, until I bag it later.

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

RideAndShoot wrote:Did the Shelby drop up front and got the Monroe air shocks installed in the back. Could probably stand to let a bit more air out of the back. Around 50psi right now. I think I’m don’t screwing with the suspension for now, until I bag it later.

Love the stance. Keep the pictures coming. Did you get all that drop up front with just the Shelby drop?
tomb's 65

loman

Post by loman »

Looks great to me. That is about the perfect stance IMO.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

loman wrote:Looks great to me. That is about the perfect stance IMO.

Thanks! It’s exactly as I was shooting for without airbags(yet).

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Love the stance. Keep the pictures coming. Did you get all that drop up front with just the Shelby drop?[/quote]

Thanks! Yup! My brother in law is a falcon guy, so he already had the jig for the Shelby drop. Down 1”, back 1/8”. I put the stock shins back behind the UCAs, but nothing else.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

RideAndShoot wrote:Did the Shelby drop up front and got the Monroe air shocks installed in the back. Could probably stand to let a bit more air out of the back. Around 50psi right now. I think I’m don’t screwing with the suspension for now, until I bag it later.

14noGbYl.jpg
14noGbYl.jpg (62.97 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
Yea it looks great! good thing you didnt cut the coils, front looks good. The street looks a tad uphill so I photoshopped the street to be level to get a look at what it would look like on level ground . perfect!
Johno

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Thanks Johno.

Started building a new grill for her today. I’m fairly new to TIG welding, so I enjoy the occasional thicker stuff to weld on.