San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Rocket989

Re: San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

Post by Rocket989 »

The Optima’s are spiffy but after having two consecutive ones fail...went back to just going to the Foooord dealer. :lol:

I can feel a chop-chop comin’!! :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

loman

Post by loman »

RideAndShoot wrote:Batttery crapped out on me so I replaced it with an Optima yellow top. Also finally ordered the new windshield. Got one from a 64 Comet Caliente HT, so it’s 3” shorter than my current one. Gotta get this sedan roof lower! Should be here Monday, so hoping to cut into it the next few weeks!
Looking forward to seeing this!

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Rocket989 wrote:The Optima’s are spiffy but after having two consecutive ones fail...went back to just going to the Foooord dealer. :lol:

I can feel a chop-chop comin’!! :mrgreen:

Did my have two Optima’s fail, or just two batteries in general fail?

It’s been beautiful here all week, so I went cruising around yesterday. Hoping to get my gun safe all mounted inside the car today.

Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Ok, got all the brackets welded and fitted up and the gun safe mounted. The little 4 buttons to the right is the keypad, and when opened the second pic shows the access. Works great! Now to make some bracket for my power steering pump.

Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Two Optimas...probably just my typical bad luck.

Nice work on the safe...but why lock up a Glock? They’re too ugly to steal! :lol: :lol: :lol:

j/k man! That’s definitely something I wouldn’t have thought of doing.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Rocket989 wrote:Two Optimas...probably just my typical bad luck.

Nice work on the safe...but why lock up a Glock? They’re too ugly to steal! :lol: :lol: :lol:

j/k man! That’s definitely something I wouldn’t have thought of doing.

Damn, that is bad luck!

Lol! CA is really weird with gun laws. Because this is a safe, I can legally carry in it, with no mag in the gun. But no CCW here. It’s a workaround that allows me to protect myself/family, and still be legal. I’ve got a safe mounted on the tranny hump of my F350 as well.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Ah, yeah - I knew no CCW in CA (sigh) but didn't know re: car carry, etc. Makes sense!

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Winshield is pulled, first time I’ve ever done that. Did it without breaking, even though I’m not using it. Interior trim is pulled. Passenger door panel, wing window, rear panel, rear window, back seat, passenger seat. Also got the spot welds on the passenger door window frame drilled out and the frame removed. Hoping to do some more stripping of the interior tomorrow and bracing of the interior body before cutting the roof off this weekend! Stoked on the progress thus far.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Just wondering, because you haven't stated, are you planning to reinforce the door openings to keep the body straight?
No real frame on these things so without the roof the rockers will probably give a bit.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

SASSY wrote:Just wondering, because you haven't stated, are you planning to reinforce the door openings to keep the body straight?
No real frame on these things so without the roof the rockers will probably give a bit.
Fred
The roof is going back on, but in the meantime, yes. I’m going to brace the crap out of everything inside, front to back and diagonally side to side. I’ll also be bracing the rear window frame after I get that glass out, because that glass is getting sunk down into the trunk. I don’t want to lay it down, because I like the lines of the sedan, and don’t want to just built it into a Caliente.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

RIGHT ON,, GO HARD!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

SASSY wrote:RIGHT ON,, GO HARD!!
Fred
Yep...this x2, do it man. I’m really curious to see the outcome...think it’ll look good!! :lol: :lol:

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Thanks guys! I’m crunching away! Got the rest of the interior stripped, then got the bracing done. I hope it is enough. Wanted to do more, but I do have to be able to drive it into her parking spot, as well as climb in and out to work on it.

Then I took a ton of measurements, and cut the damn roof off! Please keep in mind this is NOT how the roof will sit. It will sit level, like the sedan roof does and should. The winshield frame will be next, and then I’ll cut away the bottom of the A pillars and top inside corners to rock it back and re-align it all. Sinking the rear glass will be the tricky part. Actually,
It’s all tricky since I really have no idea what I’m doing. Lol. Here’s how she sits for the night. And yes, it’s still all getting down in my busted up alleyway in the hood.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Not knowing what exactly your doing is the fun!! If it was the 4th chop on the same body style,,, fun,,, not so much more like job.
Have you tested the fit of the hardtop windshield in the bottom gutter rail?
Fred

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Oops, top fell off! Fitting it up tonight.