San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
thrnelson

Re: San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

Post by thrnelson »

Santa's Comet wrote:My cars are set up with--Block heaters,oil and transmission pan heaters, Synthetic oils and a trickle battery charger.
Cars are plugged into timers that we change with temps. Once we are in the -30 to -50 time the power is always on.
Our post lady will deliver every day except Sunday. I would not want her job at -50 with the window down!!!
NP Dave
Hey Santas Comet what do they use to melt the ice where you are? In my area they use a lot of salt and no matter how much I want to I just cannot bring myself to put snow tires on my comet and drive it all winter. I really want to though.

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

Old days we used chains and studded tires. The plow trucks would have chains on that would
chew the ice up. Last few years they have started using a salt slurry. The newer winter tires are
made with softer compounds with a grit mixed in. I like the Michelin Ice- X Tires.
Be safe
NP Dave

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Those are some insane temps. I don’t know how you guys function like that. I’ve driven in falling snow one time, and I slid off the road into a ditch. 2wd ranger, didn’t know it was gonna snow. Got pulled out, and made it into a parking lot, waited until a snow plow came along, and followed him off the mountain.

If not for the plow, myself, my 6 month pregnant wife, my brother and my dog would have been sleeping in the single cab ranger til morning. Ha!
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I built my 62 Comet for daily use (5 years straight). I had an 8" with a 3.25 trac loc and in the winter I had studded Firestone Town and Country radial mud and snow tires. You would not believe how that car would go in the snow. This was 1983-88. The total restoration cost me $3600.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

RideAndShoot wrote:Those are some insane temps. I don’t know how you guys function like that.
Well here in Missouri it is near 70 today, supposed to snow tomorrow night.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Lip Ripper wrote:in the winter I had studded Firestone Town and Country radial mud and snow tires. You would not believe how that car would go in the snow.
Man...I didn't know it got that bad in Lake Placid, Florida! Or was that in a former life somewhere else? :lol: :lol: :wink:
Jim

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Yes Jim, The hills of southern Indiana is where I grew up.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Haven’t gotten to work on her too much, since the weather has been 75-85 so I’ve been riding my chopper around. Took the wife for a few nice rides this last week. I did get some work done this afternoon.

Here’s a link to the video https://instagram.com/p/Bdgr6JjgmZ7/ for anyone that wants to see it spit fire!

Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

One more pic. My neighbor grabbed this shot last night and printed it out for me. Came out rad.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Haven’t done anything to my comet since the flame kit, but I did do this scoop for my buddies 68 Impala. It’s one we chopped 4” before. I guess the 66/67 Impala SS427 has a similar hood as an option, but they’re very rare. His buddy bought one last week for $8k!!! They never made it for 68, so I did. Came out pretty slick.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

R.I.P. Roy Pool!!! :lol:
Johno

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

poboyjo65 wrote:R.I.P. Roy Pool!!! :lol:

Lol! I know, I know, the brand that shall not be named. Working on his cars though is what got me into custom cars. Before that I was strictly into chopping motorcycles. Unfortunately he’s a Bowtie Guy, through and through. Has a dozen or so, all customs.

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

NICE!! work on the hood on that OTHER Car.the transition from scoop to hood looks real nice..Is it all welded ? or a little filler in there to smooth it out.
Reason being I was thinking of doing my own ram air for my comet with one of my steel hoods as the fiberglass ram air hood I have isn't going to work

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:NICE!! work on the hood on that OTHER Car.the transition from scoop to hood looks real nice..Is it all welded ? or a little filler in there to smooth it out.
Reason being I was thinking of doing my own ram air for my comet with one of my steel hoods as the fiberglass ram air hood I have isn't going to work

What you see is just welded ground smooth with some rattlecan on it. It’ll get a little mud, but not much.

Sucks about the fiberglass hood. Make it out of the steel one. I had just under 8 hours into that one.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Batttery crapped out on me so I replaced it with an Optima yellow top. Also finally ordered the new windshield. Got one from a 64 Comet Caliente HT, so it’s 3” shorter than my current one. Gotta get this sedan roof lower! Should be here Monday, so hoping to cut into it the next few weeks!