San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
RideAndShoot

Re: San Diego Chopped ‘64 Comet

Post by RideAndShoot »

Got the grille all finish up! So stoked on how it came out. Yes, it has a gold tooth. Lol. It was over 55 individual pieces I ha to weld up to make this damn thing, but it was worth every second. Here it is. I plan on blacking out the headlight buckets, and polishing up just the outer ring, to help accentuate the grille.

Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Super job! Looks great. 8)
Jim

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

That’s a lot of work, good job man!! While it has an early Jeep Grand Wagoneer-esque vibe, I STILL like it!! :D :) :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

You do awesome work. Thanks for the pictures.
tomb's 65

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Rocket989 wrote:That’s a lot of work, good job man!! While it has an early Jeep Grand Wagoneer-esque vibe, I STILL like it!! :D :) :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Ha! I can see that. I was going for more Mercury Cougar grille, but not so much that it look like a retrofit one in there.

Thank Tomb and Jim!
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

it is different and OL POP likes the fire out of it :!: you did good !! looks mighty fine !! POP
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'm with everyone else, it looks great! :D
Johno

mike54

Post by mike54 »

I'm impressed. I have a 64 convertible and it's not a car I would have picked to shave but it looks good. The grill is fantastic! It mimics the trim pieces on the front of the fenders. The last time I welded in shorts I got sunburns on my shins, so no more.
Carry on, I'll be watching.

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Painted the buckets black, and left the rings polished to set it off a bit. Also redid the gold tooth. It was too subtle before, now it’s nice and shiny gold.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Nice job on the grill!! Looks good and like it belongs on the car. Not a big fan of the gold tooth...but the grill looks Great!!

Always like the personal touches people do to their rides like this.

Lou

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Thanks Lou. I figured most people aren’t gonna be a fan of most things I do. Lol.

So I went ahead and moved my rear axle rearward 1.25”. I machined the lowering block to clear and had to relocate a couple holes. Shocks aren’t binding either. I rolled the inner lip of the fender in and the driver side clears just fine, a whole 3/8”! The passenger side seemed borderline, but after a test drive it rubs while turning right. So I think I’ll try one size smaller tire. That should do it. Here’s how it sits with the skirts. I dig it.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Man, you do good work. And you're fast, too. It would have taken me a bit longer to make all those mods. :roll: :lol:
Jim

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Man, you do good work. And you're fast, too. It would have taken me a bit longer to make all those mods. :roll: :lol:
Jim
Thanks man! I feel like I’m moving slow right now. I had my C3-C4, C4-C5 discectomy and fusion 8 weeks ago, today. So I’m just losing my mind not working right now. Spending as much time as my neck can handle on it. Time i have right now, money not so much. As soon as our ’rainy season’ passes, I’ll chop the top down. So probably end of January I’ll on that. :?

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I like the grille. It reminds me of a Lincoln for some reason. Very nice work.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Really enjoying your build and attitude. I think the chop on a sedan will turn the too tall 2dr into a great looker! 2 inches or more?
Gonna spend a couple months in ElCentro if I get to San Diego coffee's on me.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about