Floor Pans

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
twokeelya

Floor Pans

Post by twokeelya »

Getting ready to change out floors on my 64 convertible, trying to get a definitive answer on the floor compatibility. Do the hard tops and convertibles different floors? I have found one vendor that has different fronts for convertibles. I was hoping to do each side, front and rear in one piece sections like I did my mustang.

Groover

Re: Floor Pans

Post by Groover »

yes they are different. Convertible are narrower due to inner rockers.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

twokeelya

Post by twokeelya »

Groover wrote:yes they are different. Convertible are narrower due to inner rockers.

Any idea where I can find floors for a Vert? I've tried many and only been told that they are differet and don't carry convertible pans.

thanks

twokeelya

Post by twokeelya »

Also

are the 64 falcon pans the same as 64 comet?
Sorry for my ignorance, I'm recovering from restoring my 69 Cuda.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Groover wrote:yes they are different. Convertible are narrower due to inner rockers.

The floors stop at the inner rockers? Never did floors on a Comet convertible.

Reason asking, Couple years ago did floors and inner rockers on a Mustang convertible, and they go under the inner rocker to the outer making them the same width as the standard floors. The flange that meets the rocker just needs to be bent down instead of up.

With the Comet convertable floors being narrower could you just cut the standard floors down to fit?

Lou

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lou's Comet wrote:With the Comet convertable floors being narrower could you just cut the standard floors down to fit?
I wondered the same thing. Isn't the seat support a separate part?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Groover

Post by Groover »

lavron wrote:
Lou's Comet wrote:With the Comet convertable floors being narrower could you just cut the standard floors down to fit?
I wondered the same thing. Isn't the seat support a separate part?

See Ya,
Mike
I never found any floor pans specifically made for Comet convertibles. I just cut down the sids on the regular pan as is suggested above. The seat box is in two parts (top and bottom) so technically the full floor pan goes in, then the seat box pieces are sandwiched around. That's why the rusty rotten pieces of the floor pan are all broken up inside the seat box when you open it up... SURPRISE!

So you could try to buy one whole side, remove the seat box cut the sides down to fit the larger inside rockers for the convertible and then sandwich the seat box around again. If your a master (like Lou here or most of the other guys :) that's the way you'd do it.

I just bought four individual pans, left the seat box in place (it is much thicker steel), cut down the sides and welded them in. Either way you'll have to cut down the sides.

Groover

Post by Groover »

Here's the section in my build thread that shows the pans going in, etc. (you'll need firefox or chrome with the fix to see the photobucket photos). If you can't see them and really want to, let me know and I can pm them.

http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... 7&start=90

In the rear at least, the pan can't just slide under the rocker because of the rear seat mount bump up. It is above the level of the inner rocker. And I think if you look at the photos of what's left of my rear pans before I cut them out, you can see that there is a bit of a lip turned up to weld to the inner rocker, so that's the pattern I followed.

In the front, the toe board gets notched to accept the inner rocker as well.

comethead

Post by comethead »

My 64 Falcon hardtop has inner rockers. I used the standard floors and sliced a few inches off the outer edge like Groover. Worked out fine.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed