Nice 65 Cyclone at Mecum in Jan

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lou's Comet

Nice 65 Cyclone at Mecum in Jan

Post by Lou's Comet »

vicegrip

Re: Nice 65 Cyclone at Mecum in Jan

Post by vicegrip »

Lou,it looks to be a very nice car. The restoration of this car took a couple different turns. The builder obviously took great car to use many OEM parts all around but then loaded it up with a bunch of aftermarket stuff. This isn't a bad thing but the combination of the two is going to discourage both the purist and the performance mod enthusiast. 50,60K? I hope so! My car took the same turns.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Thanks Vicegrip, I had the same thoughts but didn't post.
Put some wheels on it and put them dam hubcaps in the trunk!! Imo
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

I think it’s perfect as is.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

The Transplanter

Post by The Transplanter »

Good price if your selling, but not if your buying :)

Will be interesting to see how much it actually sells for!

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

I actually think it will do close to the estimate. If it is as nice as it is projected in the ad, maybe more.

Really don't think the mods will hurt it, maybe even help it. They seem to be all Bolt on's so for someone that wanted original wouldn't be too hard to change back. For someone that wanted more of a hot rod stick a stroker in it, some wheels/tires and go.

Not a fan of the steering rack., but other than that and pass door being off a little the car looks great.

Was talking to a guy at the local ma/pa auto parts a while back. He has a nice collection of cars and goes to a lot of the collector auctions. When I mentioned I was doing a 65 Comet he said they have become pretty desireable cars lately and prices are going up. Even tho it doesn't mean he is right still gave me a smile. Couple 65's recently went for 20-30k on eBay.

Lou

b.guggenmos

Post by b.guggenmos »

I wanted to like the car but I don't. The very first statement about a comprehensive restoration turned me off. Don't call it a restoration when it is not. Too many changes from stock in my opinion. The steering is a definite no go for me. Why the ugly valve covers and radiator but a stock air cleaner housing? This car does not know whether it want to be original or not?

Sorry to be so harsh but that is the way I see it. I will be interested in seeing the selling price as it may influence me on what to do with my stock Cyclone while not 100% perfect is a hell of a lot closer than that car.

Brian
1965 Comet Cyclone Drag Car Aquamarine, 351C, 4 speed, 5:14, ladder bars, 10.50@129mph
1965 Falcon Tube Chassis Drag Car, 347, Jerico, 4 Link 9.?
1970 Boss 302 Yellow, Deluxe Interior, Shaker, Slats, 4:30 Drag Pac
1932 Ford 5 Window Coupe

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

The estimate was $50,000 - $60,000. It brought $56,100. Not bad,

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Dayum! A new track record!!! I am in disbelief quite frankly.

AND, I have those awful ball milled valve covers on my Falcon. 8)
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

comet guy

Post by comet guy »

The 65 comet is a unique model all it's own. That's one reason why they are going up in valve

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Lip Ripper wrote:Dayum! A new track record!!! I am in disbelief quite frankly.

AND, I have those awful ball milled valve covers on my Falcon. 8)
Pretty nice car! I thought it may do a little more than the estimate. But from the pictures and description, feel it was worthy of the money it brought. The interior looked new, the paint And trim looks great! And it is a 4 speed Cyclone.

Agree with you on the valve covers! But that would be a easy fix. Was curious about the brakes, the description didn't mention, wonder if it had disc or drums.
comet guy wrote:The 65 comet is a unique model all it's own. That's one reason why they are going up in valve
Agree one year only models seem to do better. But still feel the reason it brought what it did was because it was a really nice car, and really nice cars bring nice money.

Lou