Shoulder harness

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
LENYM

Shoulder harness

Post by LENYM »

I am putting a roll bar in my 1964 Comet with original bucket seats,and I want to put in shoulder harness like the newer cars have I am wondering how high from the door jam up I should put it, the seats are at the upholstery shop so I can not sit in it to see were it should go, I hope some one has done this thanks. Leny Mason

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Shoulder harness

Post by A/FX »

If you are including a roll bar why don’t you mount the harness to the bar? Even if you have a sedan with a B pillar it was never designed to carry the load of a harness under tension. Included is a photo of what I have described, note how the cross bar is lower than the top of the seats and the harness run forward to the drivers shoulders. The location of the harnes on the cross bar is determined by having the seat mounted and a person positioned in the seat. I also added 1/8” loops on the back of the cross bar to keep the harnesses aligned.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

LENYM

Post by LENYM »

Hi, I still have the back seat so I cant have the cross bar, we are thinking that half way up the window is high enough and hook to the hoop on the in side kinda like they bolt to the pillar on the newer cars if I ever can figure how to do pictures I will. Leny Mason

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

LENYM wrote:Hi, I still have the back seat so I cant have the cross bar, we are thinking that half way up the window is high enough and hook to the hoop on the in side kinda like they bolt to the pillar on the newer cars if I ever can figure how to do pictures I will. Leny Mason
Ok, what you should do is find the seatbelt/harness you plan to use and take all the dimensions from that vehicle and duplicate in your Comet. I would use a steel slug that is tapped fine thread and securely weld it into your bar to hold the upper pivot point of the harnes. The lower mount for the inertia mechanism might be able to be mounted in the Comet inner rocker panel just like the original. Make sure your roll bar has a support going to the back of the car otherwise if the upper mount pulls on the bar it may just move the bar instead of holding the driver/passenger in place during impact.
I have designed my build without a back seat so the double harness and 3” lap belts make sense in my car.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

LENYM

Post by LENYM »

Hi, My bar is a lot like yours with out the cross bar, so I think the back brace will hold it from coming forward , I did the guessing game on the Height but looking at a lot of pictures I think this will work thanks Leny Mason