1965 Comet Cyclone Fiberglass Hood

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
naviondude

1965 Comet Cyclone Fiberglass Hood

Post by naviondude »

I am looking for a 1965 stock fiberglass hood that had the hood scoops that resembled the 1966 Comet. They were available about half way through the year. Let me know if anyone knows the wher abouts of one of these hoods. Thanks!

poboyjo65

Re: 1965 Comet Cyclone Fiberglass Hood

Post by poboyjo65 »

They are in Louisville Ky., Kerns Auto parts. He doesnt run the ad all the time but every so often he'll put it on ebay. but I'm sure you can call & order one. I picked mine up there & saved the shipping charges.

Here is one of the old ads;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/65-Cyclone-Fac ... 7675.l2557
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

naviondude wrote:I am looking for a 1965 stock fiberglass hood
You say "stock" fiberglass hood. Are you talking about one of the original non-functional prototype hoods they made back in 65, or the new functional repops like John noted? They only made about 600 of the originals, so they're scarce as hen's teeth and you'll pay a fortune if you find one. I saw one on ebay a while back for $1200, and it looked like it had been drug down the road. It needed a lot of repair work.
Jim

naviondude

Post by naviondude »

According to my ford guy they made 312 of these hoods that were sold through the dealers as speed parts and options on new cars. I think some of hi-po were shipped with them. They were only available later 65. Found a guy that actually has two of them. Waiting on prices.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

naviondude wrote:According to my ford guy they made 312 of these hoods that were sold through the dealers as speed parts and options on new cars. I think some of hi-po were shipped with them. They were only available later 65. Found a guy that actually has two of them. Waiting on prices.
OH well good luck & be ready to pay up! :lol: as Jim said the original prototypes are rare to find & usually priced thru the roof. the one I posted above is a copy of the originals on the top side, & a copy of the afx hoods on the bottom of it with functioning duct work . The guy with the repops said he would sell the original hood that he bought to make the mold out of when I was there talking to him. I think he said he gave 3800$ for it :shock: last one I saw was 2500 on ebay. be careful & dont let someone sell you a 66/67 hood, they look a lot alike. again good luck but dont hold your breath! :lol: :lol:
Johno

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I don't want to bad mouth anyone here,but I got one of the fiberglass repop hoods about 6 months ago .It cost me about $1230 Canadian landed .So a decent chunk of change . Problem is its about 1/2 inch low in the centre of the radius were the hood meets the cowl .Its like a big flat spot.
My guess its was from Mold pre release caused by gases built up during the curing process cause it to lift
Now I have been In contact with the guy who actually makes them and he has given me a few things to try.he is wanting to make things right.
I have moved twice this summer and just got my car back from the body shop so I was hoping to finally try what he said this week
which is put it on with a piece of foam in the middle low spot aand try pulling the corners down with a heater underneath .I honestly don't think heat is going to work as it has rectangular cross section because it has the box for the cowl induction the hood is quite rigid.
also fiberglass is thermo set and not thermal plastic which is why you don't see Corvettes melting in the California sun.
filling it isn't going to work either .perhaps making a bunch of scarf joints will.A lot of work
Also instead of a tapped plate for the 5/16 hood hinge bolts they inserted 1/4 inch bolts with pieces of fiberglass as washers .
that isn't going to hold .
maybe try a crites or VFN makes a cool one. I wish I had.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I have had some experience with fiberglas, I think the problem can be fixed. You should cut loose the brace then make a fixture that duplicates the arc of the cowl. If you put sight pressure on the hood and heat it with a heat gun then let it cool and repeat this process it will move the glass into the shape you desire. You must increase the pressure at slow increments. When you have the hood so it will stay at the arch you need reglass the support back to the hood and it will stay that way. I built a glass bodied ‘33 Ford Victoria and used this method to fit the fenders and repair a sunken cowl section, if you take your time it will work. I also used this procedure on the hood for my Cyclone, my hood was made from an original Plaza Glas
‘64 A/FX hood which was race car thin and not a good fit. (So it is much more authentic compared to a Chrites repro hood)
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea I had to do quite a bit of work to mine ,& my painter did more work. I had a flat area on the passenger side edge, & both sides had thin areas on the bottom sides that I added glass to,& it still isn't great. I think if you get glass panels that dont need much work from anywhere you are extremely lucky.
Johno