64 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
popscomet

Re: 64 Comet Build

Post by popscomet »

Rocket989 wrote:I like all of it! :lol: :lol: I don’t remember are the rear brakes disc also? Asking since that looks like an early ‘90’s Ranger master cylinder (1-inch bore—what I should have used).
you are correct on the MC....do not have anything for brks on the rear as of yet,,,,we put it outside yesterday,, on the lift..,pulled the axles and chunk..today it rained,,draw back of having lift outside...but OL POP is so bad to wash bottom side of everything me and Glenda own several times a year..is reason why lift is outside...I keep all so clean and dirt free,,I am a stickler on keeping all clean....
pop/glenda

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

Actually the m/c is for a 94 Mustang (1.062" bore), basically the same as a Ranger (1.000" bore) but lines are on passenger side vs driver side which clears the clutch m/c better. Weatherman is saying the next 5 days will be sunny and dry so hopefully all the underside and drive train work will be finished.
18" & 22" axles
18" & 22" axles
axles.jpg (44.7 KiB) Viewed 2967 times

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

1.06 bore will take some foot power.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP, got the m/c mixed up,,son tried them both at 1st, my goof up ! :? .....pop
pop/glenda

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

Lip Ripper wrote:1.06 bore will take some foot power.
That's what I'm hoping for so they want be real touchy after crossing the finish line, especially with the narrow front runner tires.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I used a 15/16 and don’t think it’s big enough. The brake pads are probably worn in enough now to find out if it can lock ‘em or not. I suspect there’s a reason every factory 4-wheel manual disc setup I’ve seen used a 1-inch bore. Yah it takes a little leg power but it’s either pedal travel or pedal effort!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

we're still chippin away at it !! just a lot of work....short time slot !! but we are trying to at least be able to trailer it to a cruise in 1st Friday in may,and it start and load N unload off trailer under it's own power.... :shock: 8) pop
pop/glenda

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Rocket989 wrote:I used a 15/16 and don’t think it’s big enough. The brake pads are probably worn in enough now to find out if it can lock ‘em or not. I suspect there’s a reason every factory 4-wheel manual disc setup I’ve seen used a 1-inch bore. Yah it takes a little leg power but it’s either pedal travel or pedal effort!
4-wheel disc needs more volume that's why they use 1 inch bore or bigger if 4/6 piston calipers.

Smaller bore more pressure / less volume, larger bore less pressure / more volume.

Just did some brake work on a 48 F1. Manual disc front, drum rear. Really had to push on pedal to stop truck. Had a master cyl with a bore of 1" replaced it with a 15/16" bore. Customer was very happy, said it was a lot better and he really didn't notice more travel.

Another thing to keep in mind is pedal ratio. Manual needs more than power.

Pops, comet is looking good!! You guys are moving along!!

Lou

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

thanks LOU !! but all the credit goes to DWAYNE,my son,OL POP is just extra hands if he needs them,,,,when he was young and smaller ,he was always my extra pair of hands,and he always got dirtier and more greasy then me,,but at this point in life,I help HIM and he calls most of the shots on what ever we do or build....and it's just as much fun and we still enjoy each other's company,to the high heaven !!! ....with the patina on this old comet,we are wanting it to look as if it is a barn find,an old drag car from the late 60's to early 70's,,which it is realy a WEED find,poor old thing sat for over 23 yrs,waiting on us to bring it back to life....it is just the way SON wants it to be....thanks POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

if the cards fall as we have it planned...OL RUSTY will start and move under it's own power by sunday afternoon,,then we will start on the frt cap...it's still along way from being a done deal...but it will be pretty much ready to load on a trailer and take to PF COME JUNE..BUT WE STILL GOTTA FIND A GOOD PLACE TO GET A NEW frt class and seal.....not bad for 5mos work,,,pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Pop any of the major autoglass venders like ''safelite'' will have the front glass, & will bring it to you,just find one in your area. I got my seal from dennis carpenter.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OK !!! that's where I got my seal many trs ago.......thanks
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Johno

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

Thanks John for posting the link.

1st start up and idling in gear letting grease circulate in trans and rear end.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

it won't show up for me !!!..........pop
pop/glenda