64 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
popscomet

Re: 64 Comet Build

Post by popscomet »

Rocket989 wrote:Sorry to hear about folks being sick Pop. Nobody's gotten any serious plague so far, but I don't think we've had a single week with all of our clan healthy this winter!! Everybody seems OK now...I probably shouldn't have said THAT! :shock: :lol: :lol:

That's great a set of shelf headers fit the N heads and fit in the 'Relic with not much work!! :D
we had to modifie the flange and drill bolt holes,,the ports are the same distance,,,son just happen to notice on another forum a 64 comet with a regular headed 351 w ,with BBK heders..he got on their wib set and saw that they had 2 sets of headers used for half price,so he took a chance and bought a set..when they came in they were brand spankin new and chrome plated to boot,,never had been on a motor that was ever started....he worked on the lange,and bolted them up,,gonna cut a relief in the pass side frame rail,just a tad and they appear they will work without a hitch and give ample room for the starter and clearance for the blow proof,,so the comet gods are grinning on us..........it just don't come any better then a 64 comet 2drht drag car,with a set of 33x19.5's on the rear....then to throw a 4spd in there to boot....it's like getting lucky on prom night......... 8) :D :lol: :lol: pop
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Hear that!! :lol: Awesome the headers worked out w/ minimal a** kickin’...!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Rocket989 wrote:Hear that!! :lol: Awesome the headers worked out w/ minimal a** kickin’...!
so far my good friend.....it's a blessing !! ,,,,we had our heart set on a set of fender wall headers,,,,it just wouldn't work out for us.......unless we took it to a header builder 2hrs from home (SCHOEN-FELD) AND THEY WANTED 12 to14 hundred dollars for a set....we couldn't do that and justifie it in our mind...so we went the route we took...pop
pop/glenda

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Glad to hear things are going well for you and Dwayne Pop. Hope that thing is ready by the time PF rolls around. I believe my son is going to take one of the parts car I collected and build him a Caliente. He will use the 302 out my car when I switch to the 408W. Going to put a C6 in it. Can't decide on an 8" or 9" rear end yet. That is a little bit off for now. May start it next year. See you in PF, Pugs .
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

Finally made some progress this weekend. Motor, trans, shifter and headers all fitted in place. Now to pull it all out and dress up the inner fenders etc.
Motor will get a new oil pump, rear seal and pan, new gaskets and seals for trans along with removing about .063" from t/o collar so the hyd t/o bearing will fit and build shifter rods. The MDL under dash components and some dirt track type stuff will finish out the hyd clutch setup.
Driver Side.jpg
Driver Side.jpg (49.42 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
Final header fitment and steering shaft mock up.
Attachments
Passenger Side.jpg
Passenger Side.jpg (46.37 KiB) Viewed 3356 times

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Looking good Dwayne.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

See? Even without the towers everything’s still gotta be tight in our cars!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Looking good guys!!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I know.. we noticed how big the w looked just sittin in there ......pop :shock: :shock: :shock:pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looking forward to seeing her at PF. :D
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WELL,you already know what it will look like as far as paint and beauty,,,we'll rattle can the fresh welds and new work ,but the rest is all petina...many years worth :shock: :!: :wink: :lol: thanks POP
pop/glenda

frdpwr

Post by frdpwr »

Run Stand.jpg
Run Stand.jpg (49.12 KiB) Viewed 3298 times
Almost ready to bust it off, just waiting on a couple ignition parts.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Right-on, let’s hear it!!! :D :D :lol: :lol:

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

That's gonna be one helluva Rat Rod there now, nice.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Rocket989 wrote:Right-on, let’s hear it!!! :D :D :lol: :lol:
WE fired it up yesterday ,,a storm came thru and knocked the lights out for about 3 hrs,so under a flashlight ,son replaced the pick up in the msd dist and and also in the dark,we put the adapter to use a 2bbl on a 4bbl intake on and wrapped up a few other things and fired that rascal up,,,,,son filmed it with his phone,could not get it on the forum so he sent it to johnboy on FB,,,so it's on FB.....that 2bbl is not your run of a mill 2bbl,,it is a race prep carb,,,the carb has been on a shelf for better part of 2yrs,,the motor has been sittin on a stand for 10 yrs,,it fired right up and the carb adjusted out to our amaze,and the 10 yr plugs hit every lick,,,,,so if you have FB ,,reckon you can hear it...thanks pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Johno