Build Dream Car

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
rhtopdown

Build Dream Car

Post by rhtopdown »

OK folks, I need some help with this wanting to build the perfect 64. Need your help with best ideas if money was not a problem. I guess we would start with the suspension. I am thinking rack and pinion, coil over shocks front and back. What do you think? Am I missing anything? Then drive train, Want a EFI with a little power (Nothing over 400 HP), Automatic transmission (Floor shift), A/C under dash or Vintage Air if they have a fit, headers, ? exhaust, rear end? Tire sizes? Which rear end gear (Cruising not racing). If I missed anything please let me know. I know there is enough knowledge out there to do this the best way so come on guys take a minute and help with this. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

popscomet

Re: Build Dream Car

Post by popscomet »

read a few build threads and form your own idea of the perfect 64 comet :lol: pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

With money no object I would consider a strut front suspension that uses later model Mustang suspension components.

I would do Vintage Air type system (yes they make them)

Those are at least a couple of things I would do if someone was shoveling money into my lap. :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

popscomet wrote:read a few build threads and form your own idea of the perfect 64 comet :lol: pop
I gotta agree with Pop on that.Build it to suit you! But what I have heard a rack & pinion isn't perfect. it's said to have a larger turning radius, & some people have said they had bump steer. I would definitely research them before I got it.

If I built another comet & money wasn't a problem, I'd get the 14:1 borgeson PS box, adjustable upper & lower control arms with built in positive caster, ,& adjustable strut rods & 65 steering linkages. I'd stay with a stroked small block , might shave the shock towers some.headers, 9'' rear narrowed ,mini-tubbed for big tires. I would probably go with classic auto air in dash ac/heater, because the underdash unit takes up a lot of room.

But after saying that I see you said a cruiser, & auto trans. for just cruising a stock 289 without headers is plenty of power & an 8'' rear.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

As Pops said you need to form your own opinion on what a Dream 64 Comet would be. What are your goals for the car?
You ask 20 different people what would be their dream build you would prob get 25+ different answers :)

Sounds like ride/handling is on top of your list. If money was not a problem I would look at Art Morrison MAXG Chassis. Would be a great foundation for a Dream Build.

Throw a late model Mustang Gt 5.0 engine, with a six speed auto and 3:73 rear gear. And you are on your way, late model reliability, performance, and awesome handling.

First thing is to figure out your goals for the car, your dream car. What do you want from the car when done? Sounds like you are leaning toward restomod. You want something that looks more era correct, something with a 60's 70's look or you more interested in a modern look?

Lou

Groover

Post by Groover »

Sorry, but the perfect '64 has already been built... see photo below :)

I agree with the others, read a few threads in the 64/65 section. You'll probably find that many of the things you're thinking have been done, and then the owner can tell you whether or not they'd do it again. We're a friendly group and threads are fun to read. Make sure you have the photo#uckit fix extension on your web browser otherwise you won't see all the photos and get broken links.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...