65 Dash restoration options?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
The Transplanter

65 Dash restoration options?

Post by The Transplanter »

I found this old post on here, and it appears that they are no longer trading!

http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... =9&t=13089

So when it comes to the dash bezel what are my options?

If there is no one out there, then maybe I can get the bezel vacuum chromed here in the UK, and put up with the condition of the rest of the dash trim!

But is the camera case sticky backed plastic available anywhere as its not something I have seen before?

Cheers Al

poboyjo65

Re: 65 Dash restoration options?

Post by poboyjo65 »

I have heard good things about Chrome tech, as mentioned in that thread by one guy. they may have the camera case material too.
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I have had Chrome Tech do a few items. The results were just OK. I had sand scratches in parts of a dash bezel but that area was being painted so it does not show. I am sure Chrome Tech did not know it was being painted so they let this piece go even if it was not perfect. Another time they chromed the wrong parts of a tail light lens, I had to send it back so they could redo it.
Here is the camera case material: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Comet- ... 2751456889
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

The ebay camera case stuff sticks pretty good IF the orig backing is still on the trim and itself still stuck. You can see that this ebay seller applied the material over old wood grain on unrestored pot metal pieces. I found the camera case won't stick as is to the pieces if they have been rechromed...and neither will the wood grain that everybody sells. If you want it as good as it's ever going to be and have the pot metal and plastic rechromed,you will have to find some more aggressive adhesive that doesn't mess everything up and actually sticks.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Before I saw this item on eBay I purchased some black camera case material from another source, it did not have an adhesive backing so I had to come up with something. All my parts were freshly chromed, I used Landau top glue which is very strong and cannot be adjusted once the two surfaces touch. It worked out well and the camera case material is there for life, this type of glue is permanent.
Is the eBay material of good quality? I would not mind having a spare sheet for future use.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Great idea on the glue! The no adjustment deal makes me a little nervous but when I find the glue (link?) I'm going to give it a shot as my chrome has been running naked. The ebay material...the bumps are a little too pronounced IMO but not bad. I wonder if the glue will work with the peel and stick? Om mine,OEM had thin aluminum backing that was glued to the chrome. I did manage to save it and the peel and stick would work on that but I'm afraid it might be a little too curled up to look good.

9teen7t240z

Post by 9teen7t240z »

Greetings, Transplanter,

This is Mike with Vintage Chrome. Ran across your post today and just wanted to let you know that we are still quite active in the chrome plating and restoration business. If you would like help with your Cyclone project (dash restoration and/or other chrome parts), feel free to contact me at vintagechromellc@gmail.com to discuss your needs and get quotes.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers,
Mike