65 Comet Steering

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
loman

Re: 65 Comet Steering

Post by loman »

A/FX wrote:Always have a car realigned after any change with the front end components. Did you check the condition of the tires and the air pressure? Every part of the front end has to be right before the car will drive/ handle like it should. Do not cut corners, find a reputable shop and have them do the adjustments.
Just my personal opinion.
Jim
X2!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Like A/FX said, get it aligned first. All the parts you replaced can have an impact on caster, camber and toe-in, all of which can impact handling and tire wear.
Jim

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Thanks for all of the replies I will need to find an alignment guy then. Like I said the cars alot better it does have new front tires the old ones rubbed against the upper ball joint and that was part of the first scary ride.
Thanks

Groover

Post by Groover »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Like A/FX said, get it aligned first. All the parts you replaced can have an impact on caster, camber and toe-in, all of which can impact handling and tire wear.
Jim
And you may want to avoid the chain tire stores, etc. They often times won't know how to or want to mess with anything that isn't "by the book." I'd look for an old-timer garage with an alignment rack.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

One common mistake is they dont center the steering box. if it isnt at it's center when the wheel are facing straight forward it hinders the way it drives,& may limit the travel to one side. so before toe-in gets set the box needs centered & the steering wheel needs to be straight when the box is, & needs to remain there,& then make the wheels point straight by using both adj sleeves.

Then there is the shims. you adjust both camber & caster with the same shims. Get one set & it moves the other, so it is an aggravating job. My "Old Guy'' retired,,so I had to buy a gauge & do it myself.
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

poboyjo65 wrote:One common mistake is they dont center the steering box. if it isnt at it's center when the wheel are facing straight forward it hinders the way it drives,& may limit the travel to one side. so before toe-in gets set the box needs centered & the steering wheel needs to be straight when the box is, & needs to remain there,& then make the wheels point straight by using both adj sleeves.

Then there is the shims. you adjust both camber & caster with the same shims. Get one set & it moves the other, so it is an aggravating job. My "Old Guy'' retired,,so I had to buy a gauge & do it myself.
This x100...I needed a break so farmed the alignment out. Got lucky with an old hot rod guy (Foooord man even!) that I believe did the best job possible. Cats like that are fading out though; a lot of places won’t touch shim alignments anymore. I’ll buy the stuff & next one is on me!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Just an update I finally managed to find an old school shop nearby that alignes older cars. The ride there was a bit scary but I gotta tell you that the ride home was pretty darn good. It is so much better after this alignment it is hard to believe. The guy told us he took it up to 50 miles an hour and it drove very good. I said he was crazy LOL because if they admit to 50 you know it was 65 or more HaHa. Now I am working on the cooling part but thank you everybody my daughter and I appreciate it.