65 Comet Steering

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
fair67

65 Comet Steering

Post by fair67 »

I am having trouble with my daughters 65 comet power steering. The problem is that we bought the car knowing someone has removed all the power steering components the only thing left is the power steering control valve that connects to the pitman arm and drag link and tie rods. The cylinder hoses pump and everything is gone. I was thinking of puting it all back on but have now wondered if I can just make it manual steering. I have drove the car now the way it is and it is pretty scary it is all over the road. But the steering is kinda manual and it is not as hard to turn as I thought it may be. My question is how can I switch this to manual steering the cheapest and easiest way. My first question is would the steering box and pitman arm be the same for both manual and power steering in 65. Right now the only thing on the car is the Control valve and it seems to have alot of play in it. The steering wheel moves crazy far before it turns the wheel. I currently have the power steering drag link if I found a manual steering drag link and put it on the car would I also have to replace all the tie rod ends both inner and outer. I noticed that for the 66 and newer cars they have an adapter to replace the control valve but it does not show one for 65. Any help appreciated I need to do something and definately need your help to fix this.
Thanks alot

redhotcomet

Re: 65 Comet Steering

Post by redhotcomet »

1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Thank you so much for the info it is a great help. Am I correct in saying that the steering box does not need to be changed and what about the pitman arm. My car already is 289 from the factory so just to double check is the idler arm different also.
Thank you very much

Groover

Post by Groover »

I *think* you can do it simple with something like this (I'm not sure this is the exact part you need):

https://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/fordpar ... OZ-3304-AD

Just found this at Stanger site. Not sure if it's available, but it looks correct:

http://www.stangerssite.com/manualadapter6566.html

Essentially this (or something like this) converts your control valve into a solid piece of the drag link. Once that happens, the rest (pitman, idler, etc.) can stay. Manual steering cars did have steering gear boxes with different ratios than PS boxes but many people have gone to manual and kept the PS box. You shouldn't need to change the tie rods, if it aligns now, it will continue to align. If the adapter changes the overall length of the drag link then you'll need an alignment.

I would not drive it as is. Essentially with no fluid you are putting all the turning load on that little ball stud in the PS Control valve. With PS fluid, the smallest move left or right starts the fluid pushing or pulling the steering cylinder and it assist with the steering. Without the fluid, you are pushing and pulling that ball stud until it drags the steering link along with it. With all the stress, eventually the ball stud may just rip out of that copper sleeve and leave you in scary land.

If you have a lot of play in the steering now it may certainly be because of the control valve, but it may also be that your steering box needs some work. You can check that by having somebody move the wheel ever so slightly back and forth while you have your hand on the pitman. The moment your assistant turns the wheel you should feel the pitman move ever so slightly. There should be zero delay. If it takes a bit before you notice the movement in the pitman, then you need to rebuild the box. That requires taking it out of the car. The Stanger site has details. http://www.stangerssite.com

I'm not an expert so let a few more people chime in before you start ordering, but I think this is the way to go and I think I've seen other people on the forum go this route.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Tims1965MercuryComet

Post by Tims1965MercuryComet »

I changed to manual steering four years ago. Found a new V8, manual steering drag link for 65 Comet/Falcon on eBay. Bolted right up to pitman arm, tie rods and idler arm. Also stayed with ps box. Drives nice, takes a bit more effort to turn the steering wheel when not moving. It did change the toe in/out, so an alignment was needed.
Tim
1965 Caliente 4 door
1968 302
Edelbrock Torker manifold and carb

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Actually it is a simple fix to keep the ‘64 style steering but convert it to full manual. Or for better geometry and choice of replacement parts convert to ‘65 style steering.

To convert your power to manual just replace the center link with a manual link, make sure all the other components are in good condition and do an alignment and it will be fine.

OR

Change the system to ‘65 manual by replacing the pitman arm, (they are different between the two years) center link, idler arm. The tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves are the same as long as you stay with the factory drum brake spindles.

The only hiccup with converting to ‘65 Parts May be the pitman arm spline size, this will depend on what size you car has now. ( measure it don’t take a chance on “what it should be”)

If you need a ‘64 center link I have one and also a couple of ‘64 pitman arms. I converted to ‘65 steering 40 years ago, now I am changing the steering box to ‘67 Cougar.
Where are you located?
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

fair67

Post by fair67 »

I wanna thank everyone for all the help and great replies. I think I am going to get a manual drag link and just put that on and see how it goes.
Thank You

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Here is a complete 65 V8 OEM PS system, even has a 16:1 box. but it'd be a booger to pay to ship.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372198593133?rmvSB=true
some good pics on there of ps system, & with pic above that afxJim posted of the manual steering, helps get an idea of the differences. Looks like the left tierods are different. but probably still work with a manual center link.
Johno

hotrodron

Post by hotrodron »

AutoKrafters sell the piece that replaces the control valve. works great, simple swap. been on my 65 for almost a year and no problems. Ron

fair67

Post by fair67 »

hotrodron wrote:AutoKrafters sell the piece that replaces the control valve. works great, simple swap. been on my 65 for almost a year and no problems. Ron
I didnt see one that specifically states for 65 Comet they have up to 64 and then 66 and up. I must have missed it.
Thanks

fair67

Post by fair67 »

I got the manual drag link I have not been able to put it on yet because my mom went into the Hospitol. I just wanna thank everyone again for the help.

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Update
I went to try and remove the power steering control valve from the pitman arm. Well without much pressure the ball stud came out of the control valve and is stuck in the pitman arm. So I figure I would try and remove the idler arm end and of course it was wore out. So I figure how hard can it be to remove the tie rod ends well I managed to get them off at the wheel but they are borderline wore out. So to make a long story short I decided to buy all the manual steering tie rod ends and a new idler arm. Now I couldnt place my order until I got that ball stud out of the pitman arm in case I needed to order a new one of them too. Well after 3 hours of trying different things it finally broke loose. I also ordered strut rod and sway bar bushings.
I would like to thank Redhotcomet for the Falcon parts link I ordered them from there.(curious what part of Sask you are from) Also Groover was right it didnt take much at all for the ball stud to come out.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

That redhotcomet, he is a borderline sask guy :lol: in that he lives on the Alberta/sask border, Lloydminster.
Me, I lived 55 years in Saskatoon.
Do you have a connection to Sask? Your profile doesn't say where you are.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Fred
I have been here in Illinois now for 26 years. However I grew up in a small town called CutKnife Sask 100K from Lloyd and I went to MVMR at Kelsey in Saskatoon and got my Mechanics Journeyman through them.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I've always said you don't have to talk to many people to find someone who knows someone from Sask.
Sask has been about a million people since the 30s and still are,, their biggest export is people!
Our family is a prime example, father mother and 7 children all left.
Gawd forsaken, flat frozen place.
Me, I'm the bright one,,,, my entire working career was in Sask,,, OUTSIDE! The railroad and a mailman,, bright alright. :roll:
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about