Steering upgrade

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
A/FX
Comet Central Member

Steering upgrade

Post by A/FX »

There has been some discussion about 64 vs 65 steering lately on this forum. I saw this article many years ago and found it to be accurate and informative. It may help some of you. It was originally posted on the Comet East web site but I believe that site is no longer active. He is a re-post on another site:
https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?t=75218

Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Re: Steering upgrade

Post by poboyjo65 »

Dick did a fine job on that article. but I guess it was learned later & he didnt know about the later 67 & up mustang pitman arm will accept a 1 1/8'' shaft of the V8 64 steering box. Use that pitman arm & no need to change your 64 V8 steering box. Makes this swap much more appealing for guys with V8 64s who are thinking about the swap.

I really miss that comet east site & all the info/history it had on it. :(
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Ditto! The late ‘67 to ‘70 power steering pitman arm means you can keep the 1-1/8” box. They’re not easy to find though IIRC. As well, you really need to use C5xx spindles or aftermarket with the same geometry.

Thanks for posting that up...I’ve tried to find it to show some folks with no luck!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

comethead

Post by comethead »

That’s a great article.
Did the Comet East club go away or just the website? It’s too bad, it was a great resource.
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Rocket989 wrote:Ditto! The late ‘67 to ‘70 power steering pitman arm means you can keep the 1-1/8” box. They’re not easy to find though IIRC. As well, you really need to use C5xx spindles or aftermarket with the same geometry.
Thanks for posting that up...I’ve tried to find it to show some folks with no luck!
Good eye! I didn't notice he didnt mention not to use the 64 & back spindles, but that is a very important detail to take full advantage of swapping parts. I've heard of bump steer issues if you dont use 65 spindles. I'm sure most guys would rather change spindles than the steering box. :lol:
One other thing to note, If you use the 1 1/8 pitman you cant get the quick steer kit to fit the 1 1/8'' box , it only comes in the 1'' version.

Joe you can still get on their page to contact the club but you cant get to all the info they use to have available.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thanks Johnnie!
FYI CSRP sells 65 configuration spindles- both the big bearing 69 type or the Granada type. Along with disc kits

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I have not done the swap without changing the spindles, I removed and trashed the ‘64 suspension, steering, and brakes back in the early’70’s when I installed the updated steering and front disc’s from the Boss 302 Mustang that I parted out to get the engine for the Comet. Strange, it’s been 46 years since I parted out that Boss car and I am still selling parts of it to guys who must have original D0ZE Parts for their restoration’s. Almost everything is gone except for the four bolt block, crank, and rods which now has aluminum Cleveland heads and all the trick inner components.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

You know, it’d be interesting to have a good shape ‘63.5-‘64 setup with a correct alignment & drive the thing. The problem is no one repros the center link & some of the other stuff is $$.

IIRC Pop & Fred’s Comets are ‘64-type & they have no issues. Shucks, Fred hauled a trailer a few thousand miles with Sassy!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim - after seeing Boss blocks with about every hole sleeved still sell for >$1000 bucks I don’t doubt that stuff goes for the cash!!

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Rocket, never mind Pop and I.
The gang that did the endurance thing for 100,000 miles were running about 120 mph the whole time!!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

No doubt! I’ve watched that vid at least a few times!! :lol: :lol: Everything about it was awesome.