Best Master Cylinder for NON Disc

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kellycj

Best Master Cylinder for NON Disc

Post by kellycj »

Going to replace the "mason jar" cylinder with a dual reservoir (stock one died), but will still be running the stock front/rear manual drums. May switch over to disc in the future, but right now I need a MC to get the brakes up and running. All of my searches lead to disc brake swapped set-ups; what is the best manual drum/drum MC? 67 Mustang or Fairlane? Thanks.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Best Master Cylinder for NON Disc

Post by A/FX »

If your car is a factory V8 any pre ‘68 V8 drum/drum dual master will work. You may want to install a residual check valve in the system, then when you install the front discs in the future you can change the valve to a pressure that is compatible with the discs.
https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/resi ... valve.html
Updating the brake lines is a good thought, over time the flexible lines can deteriorate from the inside out causing the inner liner to collapse which may not be visibly looking at the line.
Do not cut corners on Brakes or steering they are the two most important functions of any vehicle.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

kellycj

Post by kellycj »

Thanks. So on a drum-drum, would I need a proportioning valve with the dual reservoir cylinder? This should be pretty simple for me, but for some reason I'm scratching my head a little. So it sounds like it might be wise to get a disc-drum cylinder, and install the check valve in the rear (front brake) exit port, then just remove it if/when I go to disc? Appreciate the help.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

If you use a disc/drum master you’ll definitely need a proportioning valve!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

I used the portioning valve out of a Granada/Monarch. I have 10 inch discs from a ranger. Non power set up.
Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

I Put this system on my '63 Comet. Same set-up for a '64. It is a dual MC with a power booster that WILL fit in the cramp area. It is advertised as Disc/Drum. I put a check valve in the front side as recommended. NO proportioning valve was needed. Works perfect. Rework / Reroute of the lines and a few tees and it's done. The firewall "nutplates" will be knocked off and the MC stud bolts will fit with no issues. Page 89 of the ABS catalog. Part Number 9782 PB2.

http://abspowerbrake.com/maincatalog_frameset012.html

Any Questions, let me know. Go dual MC AND power !

Here it is installed...

Comet Bruce

kellycj

Post by kellycj »

So yours is a drum/drum? Where do you get the check valves for the disc/drum master cylinders?

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

CSRP will likely sell you one. He’s uses a slick bracket that mounts it underneath the master. Honestly, I’d just get a ‘67 ‘Stang MC for 4-wheel drums & change it later if you go to disc. With a disc/drum master you’ll also (most likely) have to run an in-line residual valve (at least one). The ‘Stang MC will pretty much drop right in with a minimal re-do of the brake lines.

If you want to keep your hydraulic brake light switch instead of converting to electric, you can use one of these:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/3-8-In-2 ... EkEALw_wcB

ETA - For any tight bends I’d use the PolyArmor brake line(s). The NiCopp stuff is great & bends easy but because of that I’ve found it kinks much easier also.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

kellycj

Post by kellycj »

Rocket989 wrote:CSRP will likely sell you one. He’s uses a slick bracket that mounts it underneath the master. Honestly, I’d just get a ‘67 ‘Stang MC for 4-wheel drums & change it later if you go to disc. With a disc/drum master you’ll also (most likely) have to run an in-line residual valve (at least one). The ‘Stang MC will pretty much drop right in with a minimal re-do of the brake lines.

If you want to keep your hydraulic brake light switch instead of converting to electric, you can use one of these:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/3-8-In-2 ... EkEALw_wcB

ETA - For any tight bends I’d use the PolyArmor brake line(s). The NiCopp stuff is great & bends easy but because of that I’ve found it kinks much easier also.
Thanks. The Mustang drum/drum master is the way I've been leaning; not sure if I'll ever get to the disc swap, so it's probably the best route. Not like they're several hundred dollars anyway, so an upgrade later won't break me.

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

kellycj wrote:So yours is a drum/drum? Where do you get the check valves for the disc/drum master cylinders?
rum

Yes Drum/Drum. Check valves are available at most parts stores.

Do it once right and be done!

Comet Bruce