15" Tire question for A/FX build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Obop64

15" Tire question for A/FX build

Post by Obop64 »

I'm interested in building a 64 Caliente with an A/FX feel. I recently purchased a white on red 64 and planning out the build now. I plan on using the crites spring relocation kit and a narrowed rear moved 1" back. I would like to avoid rolling the lips if possible and tubbing. I'm not opposed to tubbing if it gets the desired look I'm after. Should I be running a 15x7 or 15x8 wheel? Will 4.25 B.S work? I plan on running the wheel vintiques series 62 steel wheel. Can I fit a 30" piecrust tire back there? Towelcitytire also offers a 8.20x28.5 tall cheater slick. I've attached a few pictures of the look I'm after. Just hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
Attachments
sc0514-184346_3.jpg
sc0514-184346_3.jpg (75.87 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (129.91 KiB) Viewed 2226 times

lavron
Site Admin

Re: 15" Tire question for A/FX build

Post by lavron »

Welcome to the Forum, here is what Roy said concerning the A/FX rear tires and I am pretty sure Roy knew what he was talking about.
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:The 64-65 A/FX cars were NOT tubbed,most were lifted up for tire clearance!!A 9 or 10 inch tire will fit but you need the right wheel offset,moving the springs inboard will help A LOT!! JMO , ROY.
Hope that helps some.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Obop64 wrote:I'm interested in building a 64 Caliente with an A/FX feel. I recently purchased a white on red 64 and planning out the build now. I plan on using the crites spring relocation kit and a narrowed rear moved 1" back. I would like to avoid rolling the lips if possible and tubbing. I'm not opposed to tubbing if it gets the desired look I'm after. Should I be running a 15x7 or 15x8 wheel? Will 4.25 B.S work? I plan on running the wheel vintiques series 62 steel wheel. Can I fit a 30" piecrust tire back there? Towelcitytire also offers a 8.20x28.5 tall cheater slick. I've attached a few pictures of the look I'm after. Just hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
The best way to handle this is to mock up everything when you have the car up on jacks. It is a little more work and some measuring but in the end you will be glad you put forth the effort. Moving the rear end back an inch will make a huge difference, I moved mine 2” so that the tire looked better in the wheel opening. ( but I built new inner wheel housings) You should figure out how big of a tire you think will fit and get the tire(s) in hand. Then put the tire in the opening and set the ride height, you can then check to see if the spring relocation kit will put the springs where they need to be. Now you can figure out what offset wheels will work with the width of the rear housing that fits on the springs. ( correctly narrowing a rear end is another subject that is critical to a successful build)
I spent quite a bit of time and some serious thinking to come up with a combination that pleased me. When I built the rear end housing, moved the springs, bought the wheels and mounted the tires every thing fell into place and the car sits right and the tires have plenty of room for full suspension travel.
If you are using a steel wheel you will have more choices for offset, in fact you could almost make a wheel to fit you needs. “Mag” wheels are available in limited offsets so what wheel you choose will determine the fit.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Obop64

Post by Obop64 »

Thank you for the input guys. I guess I just need to decide on which tire I want to run and if I want a 15x7 or 15x8 wheel. I plan on getting a rear from quick performance and he can make it any width I want. I figure if I get the wheel/tire I want, I an measure the width for the rear I need. Will post pictures as I make progress.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Obop64 wrote:Will post pictures as I make progress.
Yeah! Start a build thread in the 64-65 section with lots of pictures so we can follow along. Sounds like a great project.
Jim

TomP

Post by TomP »

On an AFX the rear end is moved forward, not back. Back makes the car look quite different. Like a stretch limo.
It requires cutting the quarters and rockers but makes the proper AFX look.

sursmilie64

Post by sursmilie64 »

Let us know what you come up with. I am doing a similar build. I moved the leaf springs in ,using a 57, 9 inch, uncut. I am looking for stock wheels with a lot of BS that do not have the 10 hole lug pattern.

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

I use 15x8 on mine with a zero offset, 28 inch et streets. 30 inch tires are too tall without modification to the quarter. If your going to run steels and make a lot of power buy good ones, I keep bending wheel studs because wheel vintiques I think are too thin and give at the acorn lug nuts.