Daughters first show

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
fair67

Daughters first show

Post by fair67 »

Hello
First off I had to work so my wife and daughter drove the comet to her first cruise in there were over 500 cars there . She did very good driving, my wife went with her she only has a learners permit. The problem is that the tranny a c4 original started to leak and I now know it was from the pan on the tranny. She managed to get it home and in our garage . I found it was the pan gasket pouring fluid out I went to remove it and 3 bolts broke off. So this tranny is definately original. I may have to replace this C4 because of the broken bolts. If I have to get a replacement can anyone give me any ideas of a replacement thats a direct fit. If i cant seal the pan I will have to get a replacement do you guys happen to know what a direct fit replacement would be. She was the only comet there.
Thanks

poboyjo65

Re: Daughters first show

Post by poboyjo65 »

Where are you located? I have a 65 C4 in west Tn.. I'd take 75 bucks for it. the guy said it was working when he swapped in a 4sp. but if it was me I'd drill out those bolts. yea it's a PITA but so is swapping trans :lol:
Johno

fair67

Post by fair67 »

poboyjo65 wrote:Where are you located? I have a 65 C4 in west Tn.. I'd take 75 bucks for it. the guy said it was working when he swapped in a 4sp. but if it was me I'd drill out those bolts. yea it's a PITA but so is swapping trans :lol:
I am in Illinois near Peoria IL. I am trying to drill them but one is not very good the other 2 give me hope.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

They can be a pain if they broke off flush. if any is sticking out & it is jagged you could grind it flat so you can center punch it so the hole gets started in the center. if you bugger up the threads you can always put in a heli coil.That's still better than trans swap. :lol:
Johno

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

If you’re fairly good with a welder too, you can put a nut over the broken bolt, then weld the broken bolt to the nut from the inside of the nut. The heat helps with breaking it loose too. I’ve never done it with broken tranny bolts, but it’s worked wonders on all other ones I tried.
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

RideAndShoot wrote:If you’re fairly good with a welder too, you can put a nut over the broken bolt, then weld the broken bolt to the nut from the inside of the nut. The heat helps with breaking it loose too. I’ve never done it with broken tranny bolts, but it’s worked wonders on all other ones I tried.
I have used that method many times. I worked in a custom wheel shop and we revived many old aftermarket wheels, many had center caps that were mounted with screws. The screws would rust in then the head would break off trying to remove them.
It would be a tough task in your situation though.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Hello
I managed to drill them out and I got 2 of them very good however the third one was very hard to do because it was not in an area that can be drilled completely through. I have gotten the pan back on and I will try it to see if it seals. I had to use different size bolts tapped out so they would tighten up. I will let you know how it worked out I am going to fill it with fluid today.
Thanks for the help it was pretty difficult in the car.

comethead

Post by comethead »

The Comet looked great at the show! Congrats!
Hope the tranny woes are solved soon.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

glad to hear about your handywork on the broken bolts....BUT TO ME.....so cool 8) to hear momma went with her so's she could drive and show her comet off....thank the GOOD LORD for mothers,,,,,hats off to daughter and mother... :) pop
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I second what POP said
Tom
tomb's 65

fair67

Post by fair67 »

comethead wrote:The Comet looked great at the show! Congrats!
Hope the tranny woes are solved soon.

Joe
Thank you she was very excited to drive it there.

fair67

Post by fair67 »

popscomet wrote:glad to hear about your handywork on the broken bolts....BUT TO ME.....so cool 8) to hear momma went with her so's she could drive and show her comet off....thank the GOOD LORD for mothers,,,,,hats off to daughter and mother... :) pop
Pop and Tom
I am very lucky and I wanted to be there too but it was definately nice that they went together and had a great time. Even with the tranny leak. I filled it and drove it last night so far so good.
Thanks

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Wife and Daughter went to their second show at nearby church, There were 83 cars of course I had to work again. She thought it was neat people asking her about her car. Car made it there and back with no issues. I thought this was a nice picture she took at the car show.

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

That is so cool. Thanks for sharing.
Tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Cool pic! good to hear she,,,they are having fun with it.

Johno