INSTALLING A BACK UP LIGHT SWITCH IN A 65 CYCLONE

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
thos25

INSTALLING A BACK UP LIGHT SWITCH IN A 65 CYCLONE

Post by thos25 »

Hey Guys, A few weeks ago I posted a question about back-up light switch install in a 65 CYCLONE. My question at the time dealt with the differences between a Top Loader and a T-10 in regards to the mounting bracket. Most after market houses just list the switches and mounting brackets for 65-66 four speeds with no mention if there is a difference in the mounting procedure and/or positionon the tranny. Also: Most supply houses list the switch for only MUSTANGS. I am convinced that the tranny doesn't know if it is in a Stang Falcon or a Cyclone.
I didn't get ONE reply to my question. C'mon guys there must be some one out there with some helpful information to such a very mundane problem!
Thanks, TOM

Lou's Comet

Re: INSTALLING A BACK UP LIGHT SWITCH IN A 65 CYCLONE

Post by Lou's Comet »

thos25 wrote:Hey Guys, A few weeks ago I posted a question about back-up light switch install in a 65 CYCLONE. My question at the time dealt with the differences between a Top Loader and a T-10 in regards to the mounting bracket. Most after market houses just list the switches and mounting brackets for 65-66 four speeds with no mention if there is a difference in the mounting procedure and/or positionon the tranny. Also: Most supply houses list the switch for only MUSTANGS. I am convinced that the tranny doesn't know if it is in a Stang Falcon or a Cyclone.
I didn't get ONE reply to my question. C'mon guys there must be some one out there with some helpful information to such a very mundane problem!
Thanks, TOM
The switch will mount to your shifter not the trans. So it doesn't matter what transmission you have but rather what shifter is on it. Here is a picture of the switch mounted to a factory shifter.

When you move the shifter to the left the rod in the shifter will push the plunger on the switch.

If you have a Hurst/aftermarket shifter it will be different.

Lou

thos25

Post by thos25 »

LOU, Thank you for your GREAT answer and photo! The Photo is indeed worth a thousand words. Problem solved! I can't believe something so simple could be so difficult to solve. By the way, I do have a factory shifter in the car.
Once again LOU, a thousand thanks!
Kind regards, TOM

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Glad I could help!

Lou

thos25

LOU'S COMET POST ON MY ? ABOUT BACK-UP LIGHTS

Post by thos25 »

Hi Lou,
As I said many thanks for the photo! Now I can't seem to find a compatible electric hook-up. I've looked under the driver side door sill plate with no luck. The wiring diagram shows a black wire with a red tracer and I have this at the back up lights. Where do I splice the bullet connectors into this. After a repaint all wires in the sill plate are red!
Sorry to be such a pain but after your picture I'm sure you are the go to guy for this ?. I hope I can be of as much help to you as you have been to me!
Kind Regards, TOM

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Hey Tom,

Not sure where your connector would be. Mine was a automatic and my wiring is all out of the car in a box :(

But if I was to guess I would look under the dash by the steering column, most of the cars were prob automatics and that wire would go to neutral safety switch. I would think instead of making a complete separate harness for a 4 speed they used the automatic harness and added a separate pigtail/ stand-alone small wire harness for the shifter/4 speed back up lights.

I would think there was a small two wire harness that runs from the back up light switch on shifter, up under the carpet on the trans tunnel, up to under the dash. Then connects to the black with red tracer under dash and the other (power feed) wire prob connects to the center(A) post on the ignition switch.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:Hey Tom,
Not sure where your connector would be. Mine was a automatic and my wiring is all out of the car in a box :(
But if I was to guess I would look under the dash by the steering column, most of the cars were prob automatics and that wire would go to neutral safety switch. I would think instead of making a complete separate harness for a 4 speed they used the automatic harness and added a separate pigtail/ stand-alone small wire harness for the shifter/4 speed back up lights.
I would think there was a small two wire harness that runs from the back up light switch on shifter, up under the carpet on the trans tunnel, up to under the dash. Then connects to the black with red tracer under dash and the other (power feed) wire prob connects to the center(A) post on the ignition switch.
Lou
Tom This is just a hunch but the wires may have a rubber plug to go thru the firewall just underneath where all the other wiring goes thru the firewall or somewhere around the steering column .

My 3sp on the column had the switch just outside of the firewall where the column exited. here is a pic of the wires & rubber plug that goes thru the firewall, but keep in mind this pic is during the build & is just hanging down to the floor, I circled the rubber plug,,,you might look for the little end of the rubber plug in the engine bay with the wires in it;
Johno

thos25

Post by thos25 »

Hi again Lou
Once again THANKS for your help I live in Montana and it looks as though we might get snow tonight cuz it is as cold as the witches proverbial anatomy part. I won't get to the switch until next week but if you like I will keep you posted.
Again, Thanks, TOM