center console

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Jimmy Joe San Diego

center console

Post by Jimmy Joe San Diego »

I am looking for a center console for my 64 Caliente, any help would be appreciated

poboyjo65

Re: center console

Post by poboyjo65 »

You can get a most of the console new. only the chrome trim around coin tray & on pad is not available.
Melvins ,just type in console to see a list of all console parts for sale;
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll ... 2~cadffeja
here is the base;
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll ... Z50001018a
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

The console lid at Melvin's fits the Comet, but is for a Falcon. The chrome trim on the top is a straight piece down the center instead of a rectangle. I haven't been able to find a repop of a Comet lid. I need one, too. :(
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim I forgot to mention that. I think for 80 bucks it would be a good start, then I would think the right shop could fill in that crease & cut in a groove for comet trim ring & emblem & recover it all. most of what you find used are not straight & kinda ruff. I may give it a try myself someday. :) I could probably sell my comet lid for more than that without the trim! :lol:
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Yeah, most of the ones you see for sale are like mine. The vinyl is split, usually in the back where it's hinged, and the top is wavy/lumpy and the trim ring is bent in several places. I think it's from 50 years of elbow leaning, third front seat passengers and placing a knee on it while leaning over the front seats to reach something in the back. :lol: The split vinyl on the back edge may be collateral damage from watching the submarine races at the lake from the back seat. :shock: :wink: Not sure you could fill and groove a Falcon lid since it's probably flexible vinyl molded over a foam core. I've though about making one out of wood for mine, shaping it to the same profile and routing the groove for the trim ring and emblem, using contact cement to cover it with vinyl, then applying the ring and emblem. It wouldn't be soft, but I'm not planning on the fore mentioned activities. :lol:
Jim

Jimmy Joe San Diego

Jims65cyclone wrote:The console lid at Melvin's fits the Comet, but is for a Falcon. The chrome trim on the top is a straight piece down the center instead of a rectangle. I haven't been able to find a repop of a Comet lid. I need one, too. :(
Jim
i ordered it lets see how it turns out

Jimmy Joe San Diego

found the console and top it appears the hinge is the million dollar link to completion [img_0340]

comethead

Post by comethead »

1966 Ford Ranger truck used Mustang buckets and the Falcon type console too
http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automoti ... -its-time/
Pretty cool...but I think a bench seat is best in a truck

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

comethead wrote:1966 Ford Ranger truck used Mustang buckets and the Falcon type console too
http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automoti ... -its-time/
Pretty cool...but I think a bench seat is best in a truck

Joe
I worked with a man that had a 65 6cyl col shifted swb ford ranger with buckets ,consol he had bought new,it was nice and well taken care of,,,,but I just never really cared for it,,the look never fit a truck,JMO,a bench seat would have looked better,and another guy had a GM with factory buckets he had bought new,it also just didn't look right,,trucks need a bench seat
pop/glenda