Water leak under dash

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
thrnelson

Water leak under dash

Post by thrnelson »

I drive my Comet rain or shine and have been having an increasing amount of rain inside the car underneath the drivers side of the dash. This weekend it was raining as much inside as it was outside. I do have the magnet over the vent between the hood and the windshield. Does anybody know what this could be?

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Water leak under dash

Post by lavron »

If there are no holes under the car my guess would be you have a leaky cowl vent, they have a tendency to rust where the vent tube comes up through the cowl.

Someone here might have a good way to check them but you might try to shine a light down through the cowl vent and see if you have an issue, or you might be able to put a bright light under the dash and look through the cowl vent and see if you can see light coming from inside, I would try that when it was dark.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Mine has a big split in the windshield seal that looks like a fountain at hwy speed in hard rain. I filled in with putty but under the trim at the bottom I could get to a spot & it still leaked. You might check yours for cracks,splits.
Johno

thrnelson

Post by thrnelson »

poboyjo65 wrote:Mine has a big split in the windshield seal that looks like a fountain at hwy speed in hard rain. I filled in with putty but under the trim at the bottom I could get to a spot & it still leaked. You might check yours for cracks,splits.
That might be more like it because I have a large magnet over the cowl vent. Do you think if I have the windshield removed and replaced that the problem will be solved?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

thrnelson wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:Mine has a big split in the windshield seal that looks like a fountain at hwy speed in hard rain. I filled in with putty but under the trim at the bottom I could get to a spot & it still leaked. You might check yours for cracks,splits.
That might be more like it because I have a large magnet over the cowl vent. Do you think if I have the windshield removed and replaced that the problem will be solved?
I certainly cant say that for sure. but I cant think of anywhere else it might come it. you might try to look up high under the dash to see if it is wet up high. inspect your windshield seal,,,you can barely see the edge of it under the trim,& you can see it from inside. over time an old seal will pull apart & split in 2. mine has about a 1'' gap in it. other places not so wide but still split.
Johno