steering box and linkage

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
hotrodron

steering box and linkage

Post by hotrodron »

Hey fellow Cometiacs ! does anyone know if theres a difference between manual and power steering boxes? how about the Pittman arm and tierods? Car isa 65 404 2dr. originally a 6 w/auto trans. Previous owner(s) converted to a 302V8 w/ AOD. they also replaced front brakes w/ manual disc. any thoughts????? Ron

poboyjo65

Re: steering box and linkage

Post by poboyjo65 »

The only difference is ratios, unless it is 64 or earlier v8 which had a bigger output/pitman arm shaft,but 65s were all the same. PS box is 16:1 ,,Manual is 19 or 20: 1 PS box with have about 4 turns of the wheel from lock to lock,manual will be 5+ turns. if it has a tag on top get the number/code & you can decode it ;
http://www.stangerssite.com/steeringboxtagdecoder.html

6 cyl cars have different tierods/linkage & idler/pitmans & spindles. If the PO changed motor/trans he may have changed other parts. chances are if it still has 4 lug spindles then it is probably still factory steering parts
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

4 or 5 lug discs?
Pics of steering parts would get you all the info
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

hotrodron

Post by hotrodron »

5 lug discs are on the car. how do I find out if the spindles are 6 or v8?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

6 cyl had 4 lug,V8 had 5. the 5th digit in your vin will tell you what engine the came from factory with if you are not sure about it starting out as a 6cyl. maybe someone has already upgraded to V8 steering linkages.

what are your concerns about the boxes differences? bad box?
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

hotrodron wrote:5 lug discs are on the car. how do I find out if the spindles are 6 or v8?
if you threw up a few pics with your questions you could get good answers quick
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Probably a Granada-type spindle. As stated pics are a huge help. If there are any Foooooord part #’s on the spindles that’s good info also. In a nutshell, it doesn’t take that many parts to do it right...though you can use that many or more and do it WRONG! :D :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

hotrodron

Post by hotrodron »

I've tried to send pix but no go. I am a dinosaur.with this stuff. steering is sloppy. car was originally a 200ci6 w/auto trans. Rev. owner swapped a 302 v8 w/AOD. had power steering but removed. linkage for p/s used with control valve swap made . the part is from Autokrafters. I want to do it right . thanks....Ron

hotrodron

Post by hotrodron »

hello guys.... I found the following numbers on my spindles.....C6oA 31071 and C60A 31081.. any info on spindle type? Thanks.....Ron

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I googled the numbers, 67 Mustang and bunch of other stuff