Ford Gen III Alternator Recommendations?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kevinshi

Ford Gen III Alternator Recommendations?

Post by kevinshi »

The American Autowire Update Series harness calls for a Ford Gen III alternator. Anyone have a recommendation? My engine setup is basically stock and I would like to have an alternator I can pretty much just bolt in (w/out having to replace pulleys or modify the mounting bracket).

https://www.americanautowire.com/PDFLin ... %205.0.pdf
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

vicegrip

Re: Ford Gen III Alternator Recommendations?

Post by vicegrip »

G3 130 amp 94-96 Mustang 3.8,94,95 Mustang 5.0,94-96 T Bird 3.8,95-95 windstar 3.8,93-96 E,F trucks,4.9,96 Sable 3.0,94-96Cougar 3.8 gray regulator.
Bolts up directly to your brackets,use metric or thru bolt for adjuster. Orig pulley may need a thin shim behind it to keep from hitting alt housing.All you need is 1 switched wire from car harness. The rest of the wiring is simple.Good diagram on the Bronco forum. Get the connectors too if junkyard surfing.
There are others that work but that's all I can think of right now.

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Super helpful, thanks!

My current alternator has a one groove pulley, these all seem to be 6 groove. Do you know whether I can just un/re-install my current pulley onto the "new" alternator that I junk yard source?
Thanks,
kevin

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Don't worry about what pulley the G3 has. Orig v belt pulley fits but you might need a thin shim behind it or it might hit the alt body. The double groove machined pulley flange is to thick,not enough threads on the shaft, so if you use 2 belts,you have to machine the center of the pulley down 3/8 in. The belt might squeak a little on startup with the single stamped orig pulley but will work OK.

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

I take it an alternative (no pun intended) is to just fine one that has a single groove pulley, eh? That likely means I have to pay a bit more but it reduces the complexity a bit... agreed?
Thanks,
kevin

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

No! no! Just take the serpentine pulley off the G3 alt,grab your original pulley and put it on the G3...simple as that.The G3's are all serpentine as far as I know. No complexity,a 2 minute job!

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Ah, sorry I thought you were saying that swapping the pulley would *not* work.

I'm struggling to get my pulley off the shaft. I've removed the nut and lock washer no problem but I'm kinda starting to bend the dang pulley by wedging screw drivers in there... I somehow think I am doing this incorrectly... any advice on how to get it off there?

Thanks,
kevin
Thanks,
kevin

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

kevinshi wrote:Ah, sorry I thought you were saying that swapping the pulley would *not* work.

I'm struggling to get my pulley off the shaft. I've removed the nut and lock washer no problem but I'm kinda starting to bend the dang pulley by wedging screw drivers in there... I somehow think I am doing this incorrectly... any advice on how to get it off there?

Thanks,
kevin
There is a special tool for removing the pulley, most auto parts will have a loaner one. Or you could buy one if you think you will use it again. You also need the tool to install the pulley.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pulley-re ... 63068.html

Lou

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Thanks for the info Lou. I guess I now understand why it is not working to just hoark on the thing. ;-)
Thanks,
kevin

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Lou's Comet wrote:
kevinshi wrote:Ah, sorry I thought you were saying that swapping the pulley would *not* work.

Thanks,
kevin
There is a special tool for removing the pulley, most auto parts will have a loaner one. Or you could buy one if you think you will use it again. You also need the tool to install the pulley.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pulley-re ... 63068.html

Lou
Lou,I don't think the alt pulley is a press fit. If the pulley won't just slide off,there must be corrosion on the shaft or hole.Try some heat on the pulley hub.Let me know if you can't get it off and I'll send you one.
kevinshi,slight misunderstanding...The pulley that won't fit without work is the double groove that some like to set up because the G3 is a hard pull on startup or if the battery is low.A 2 belt system eliminates any chance of belt squeak which annoys some people.

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Another option. I have one of these on my car,also eliminates belt squeal and slows the alt down. The G3 still charges great at idle.
Summit Sum-g3969

https://www.summitracing.com/search/par ... r%20pulley

loman

Post by loman »

vicegrip wrote:Another option. I have one of these on my car,also eliminates belt squeal and slows the alt down. The G3 still charges great at idle.
Summit Sum-g3969

https://www.summitracing.com/search/par ... r%20pulley
That is the same pulley I use on my 96 6 cyl mustang alternator on my race car.