Daughters 65 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
fair67

Re: Daughters 65 Comet

Post by fair67 »

Gas tank is out and the sender. Brushed the rust off and painted we are hoping the tank will hold up for a while.

loman

Post by loman »

Maybe you could get one of those cheap clear fuel filters to install right before the carb. Then you could give it a quick glance every now and then and monitor how clean the system is once you reinstall everything.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

It looks good in the picture.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

It has to be better than my parts cars tank. It had all kinds of dirt,flakes ,mouse nest,& the center of a locking gas cap was my guess,some kind of lock with key hole. & bad rusty.

I cut open 2 different 65 comet tanks. the worst rust was on the top & sides of both. from condensation. the bottom looked pretty good in both,could have been cleaned up. so looking down in the hole isnt much of a clue of the condition. a borescope would be good way to inspect it, if you have access to one.
But if you've been driving it with no issues it is probably in pretty good shape. I used those clear filters ,never did have an issue but the filter would get lots of junk in it until I cleaned & coated the tank.

Johno

fair67

Post by fair67 »

loman wrote:Maybe you could get one of those cheap clear fuel filters to install right before the carb. Then you could give it a quick glance every now and then and monitor how clean the system is once you reinstall everything.
Thats a good idea I already have filters in place but not a clear one by the carb.
Thanks

fair67

Post by fair67 »

lavron wrote:It looks good in the picture.

See Ya,
Mike
Thanks for the reply it turned out ok but there are some pits in the mateal

fair67

Post by fair67 »

[quote="poboyjo65"]It has to be better than my parts cars tank. It had all kinds of dirt,flakes ,mouse nest,& the center of a locking gas cap was my guess,some kind of lock with key hole. & bad rusty.

I cut open 2 different 65 comet tanks. the worst rust was on the top & sides of both. from condensation. the bottom looked pretty good in both,could have been cleaned up. so looking down in the hole isnt much of a clue of the condition. a borescope would be good way to inspect it, if you have access to one.
But if you've been driving it with no issues it is probably in pretty good shape. I used those clear filters ,never did have an issue but the filter would get lots of junk in it until I cleaned & coated the tank.

Thanks for all the help and the pictures. I do have a borescope and looked in the tank after you suggested it. There is some rust and slight pitting in the areas you told me about. However it is a little better then expected. I think we are going to eventually need a new tank. However for now I am just hoping to use your sender and this tank because the money is tight. It did not leak before so maybe it will be ok for a while.
Thanks again.

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Poboyjoe65
I got your sending unit in the mail and I wanna thank you very much. I bent the float and I think it will read right now. It was only going to about 3/4 before I bent it. Thanks again it is greatly appreciated.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You are welcome. I'm glad someone will get some use out of it. :D
Johno

fair67

Post by fair67 »

The Daughter and wife finished sanding the back of the car and around the tail lights. I painted the areas and daughter put in the new tail light lenses and the better bumper. The lenses really make a difference our old ones were pretty bad.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looks great! Where did you get your lenses?
Jim

fair67

Post by fair67 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Looks great! Where did you get your lenses?
Jim
Sorry it took so long to answer. I got all the tail lights from here https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dl ... ~A140~A131
Very nice people and great service. Melvins Classif Ford Parts