‘64 Cyclone update

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
SASSY

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by SASSY »

Hey Jim, looking great!!
Sometimes when I'm under my car on a creeper or just sliding around on the concrete getting crap in my eyes and banging my head on some metal protrusion of Sassy I think of you and your build pics,,, think I'm doin something wrong.
Then I grab a can a spray bomb undercoat, gonna have to do,,,LOL
Love your build, the way your doing it and the results your sharing!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

We are just over a week into the body work on the Cyclone. I have been at the body shop everyday working with the owner. This is a small shop that is basically not open to the public, he does specialty work for a few clients. Most of the vehicles are classic collectible cars that most people are not familiar with. This shop has been doing the body work and paint on my cars and the cars, and other items I have restored for others for many years.
As of today we have most of the body work done on the body itself, the doors are almost done, the fenders and hood are next. We have the doors and fenders hung and close to being aligned, some final tweets are needed in some trouble spots. The deck lid has been fit and been made ready for paint. When we are satisfied with everything on the main body the car will go back on the rotisserie so that we can finish the underside. The bottom of the body will be sprayed with “Lizard Skin” sound deadner and then thermal barrier, I will also install “Hush Mat” on the interior floor, inside the doors, and the underside of the roof. The tough part is that every inch of e coat must be scuffed before primer or it will not adhere properly.
Progress is being made every day.
Jim

NOTE:
I am in need of a few parts for this project, I am interested in New Old Stock or perfect used.
Trunk emblem-C4GY 6243504-A. ( Ecklers offers a reproduction but it is incorrect, it does not fit a Comet)
Trim for either side of fuel door- C4GY 62423A40-A (need two)
Trim for under tail lamps, 60 3/16” long. C4GY 62423A58-A. ( this is the thin, long aluminum piece)
Any leads appreciated
THANK YOU

Last edited by A/FX on Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

It is certainly going to be nice when you get it done, love seeing what you are doing.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

1964hipo

Post by 1964hipo »

The grey silver looks awesome on these cars. Mine is anniversary silver with black interior, which is original for the car, but ive always regretted not switching to ted interior wich i almost did. That thin trim piece under the trunk will be atough one to find, try craig in santa rosa he may have those....but it will just be used, not nos

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

1964hipo wrote:The grey silver looks awesome on these cars. Mine is anniversary silver with black interior, which is original for the car, but ive always regretted not switching to ted interior wich i almost did. That thin trim piece under the trunk will be atough one to find, try craig in santa rosa he may have those....but it will just be used, not nos
JMO..but anniversary silver is the best color for a comet,,,POP
pop/glenda

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Progress on my Comet is moving along well, as of this morning the body, hood, fenders, doors, and deck lid are in final primer. They will be blocked one more time before final color is applied. All the panels are arrow straight, I am very pleased with how the body work has turned out. The engine compartment, trunk, and underside are painted and finished in ceramic satin black. We applied “Lizard Skin” sound barrier and heat barrier on the lower firewall and between the frame rails, inside the car we applied both products to the firewall and the interior floor, and underside of the roof. The car should be much quieter and cooler with this system applied. I will also be installing “Hush Mat” on the floor under the carpet. All this is to make sure the engine and exhaust heat does not penetrate the passenger area.
We will not be painting the car for about six weeks, we have another car that needs to be completed so it can be displayed at the ACD event in Auburn Indiana Labor Day Weekend.
I have ordered the material for the Comet interior, my interior guy is on stand by to start sewing on the seats and panels. We have found a paint color that matches the material for the dash and door areas that need to be painted.
Although work on the body will be at a standstill for a while, I have all the other components almost ready to install. The components that are not ready will be worked on during the down time at the body shop.
It should be on schedule for final assembly during the upcoming winter.
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

sounds great !!! good luck,,,nice project,appears you have this act going down the correct path to have an outstanding comet when completed....POP
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Great progress!!
Just wondering, is the rad support converted to a bolt in , or something completely different?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

SASSY wrote:Great progress!!
Just wondering, is the rad support converted to a bolt in , or something completely different?
Fred
Fred,
Yes the core support and the front inner fender panels are now held in place with bolts. When I fabricated the new panels and went to install the support I figured that I would replace every spot weld with a 1/4-20 button head Allen bolts. It is very strong and makes installing the engine and transmission possible as one unit.
Attached are a couple of photos of the panels mocked up with temporary fasteners.
Jim

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Do you have any links you can share for the “Lizard Skin”, sound barrier and heat barrier, and “Hush Mat”? Do you plan to deaden the doors, too?

Jim

Oops. Just went back and see where you plan to do the doors, too.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Do you have any links you can share for the “Lizard Skin”, sound barrier and heat barrier, and “Hush Mat”? Do you plan to deaden the doors, too?

Jim

Oops. Just went back and see where you plan to do the doors, too.
Jim,
Here is a link to Lizard skin: https://lizardskin.com/
And Hush Mat: https://hushmat.com/
I have spent some time researching the available products and these two seem to be the best. That said they may not be the most inexpensive, but it is true that you get what you pay for. This car will never be quiet like a Lincoln because of the engine and exhaust but I want to make it as driver friendly as possible. The thermo barrier is important to me because my exhaust system is relatively close to the floor pan, I built it that way so it does not hang down and look funny.
Today I sprayed a small piece of sheet metal with two coats of the thermo barrier, after it dried I put it out in the sun for an hour. I then checked the temperature with my laser thermometer, first the coating side-123 degrees, then I turned it over and checked the bare metal side, 82 degrees! That should prove the value of Lizard Skin.
Thanks for the interest in the build.
Jim

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

For those who may be interested here is an update on my Cyclone. The body and all the components are still waiting for final blocking and paint. We will start on that shortly after the Labor Day weekend.
In the mean time I have been working on restoration of the seat tracks and seat related parts. The vinyl for the interior arrived and it looks great, I also found a hide of leather that matches the vinyl very close, we will use the leather for wrapping the Cyclone steering wheel and the dash pad. My interior guy stopped here the other day with a sample of the two vinyl’s sewn together with the silver piping, when he left he took the two T bird seats and one of my old Cyclone seats with him so he could duplicate the Cyclone seat pattern on the T bird seats. Attached is a photo of the sample, the perforated vinyl will be used for the seat inserts, along with the factory emblems on the backrest.
I have also been preparing all the interior parts that will be painted red to match the color of the vinyl, steering column, kick panels, misc. brackets, roll bar, etc.
As I am writing this I was informed that we might start to spray the red color on Monday, that means that all the for mentioned parts and the upper and lower part of the inside of the doors, the dash board, and the panels that fit under the quarter windows.
A while ago I mentioned that I was in need of a few new old stock trim parts. I was able to locate a NOS trunk emblem. The long piece of aluminum trim that fits under the tail lights seems impossible to find. I have one that had a couple of dents and needed to be refinished, I sent it to a shop in Michigan, they will repair it, polish it, and re anodize it clear, it will be better than new.
I am still looking for a pair of trim panels for either side of he tail lamps, these are the aluminum panels with the Black squares. (NOS)
Everyday there is progress being made, if all goes as planned the car will back in my shop sometime in October.
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Cool 8) can't wait to see it finished.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Sept. 6, 2019
Well here is a short update.
The body is now painted, next will be the doors, fenders, deck lid, and hood. When it is all in paint it will be wet sanded with 1,000,- 3,000 and finally buffed with a compound. The paint and three coats of clear the color is amazing, the trim and blood red interior will complete the package.
I am tired of sanding all the panels but seeing the results makes it all worth it.
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

It looks mighty fine. I like the color.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread