Toploader conversion from 3 speed

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
luc3ch

Toploader conversion from 3 speed

Post by luc3ch »

My 64 has a floor shift conversion from the original column shift. That means previous owner cut a jagged hole off center to left side of the tunnel to fit the lever through. They also managed to cut into some of the tunnel crossmember reinforcement too. :x

This is a bench seat car and I plan to keep her that way. The floor shifter in there now clears the bench in first and third.

I picked up a good toploader this week and I need to source a shifter and installation kit now. My tailshaft has the forward holes drilled and tapped to mount the adapter plate. But I can drill and tap the rear bosses if I need to.

Hurst offers two kits for early and later Ford's with toploader. Found them in Summit. Neither kit lists the 64 Comet but I am thinking the earlier years Mustang kit 13-0072 might be the right one

Anybody running the Hurst on a toploader in a bench seat car? Advice please!
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

1964hipo

Re: Toploader conversion from 3 speed

Post by 1964hipo »

.tom cruz at delta bay mustang in brentwood california has a lot of that stuff, and i think he had a 64 falcn wagon with a bench seat at one time out there for referrnce. In any case he has a lot of falcon performance parts that no one else makes.

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

1964hipo wrote:.tom cruz at delta bay mustang in brentwood california has a lot of that stuff, and i think he had a 64 falcn wagon with a bench seat at one time out there for referrnce. In any case he has a lot of falcon performance parts that no one else makes.
Awesome, thanks for the tip.

I am going to the Detroit area Ford Mercury Restorers Club swap meet later this month and will look around there as well.

Anyone elso going BTW?
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I truly like a bench seat with a 4spd,,in fact my 67fairlane was a bench seat with a 4spd,,,I took bucket seats out of my 77 bronco and swapped them with my 71 bronco that was one of the few with a bench seat....mustangs look good with buckets ,other old fords look better with a bench...of course this is just my opinion...my comet has a bench with a factory shifter I like resting my right hand on the seat just inches away from the shifter knob in 4th gear,,,,good luck pop
pop/glenda

cbcafe

Post by cbcafe »

I got an installation kit from Dan Williams Toploader Transmissions in NC. He repops obsolete kits for hurst shifters. My car is a bench seat car. I am looking to use an original shift lever on my hurst shifter so it looks stock.

comethead

Post by comethead »

You can still find a Hurst 4 speed kit for the 63-65 Falcon/Comet with Toploader from Hurst. They make them in batches and they usually sell for around $600 for the shifter/handle with knob and the mounting kit with rods.

I used a reproduction Mustang T5 handle that looks like an original shifter handle with the reverse lockout ears.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Anybody have to change out their cross member mount to put their 4 speed in place of the 3 speed?

My 3 speed tailshaft has mounting bolts directly under the center.

The 4 speed has a wider flange cast into it. Which by the way also seems like it's really going to interfere with my reverse rod when it's assembled.

Ideas?

comethead

Post by comethead »

The rubber trans mount should be compatible with both bolt patterns
https://www.cjponyparts.com/transmissio ... gI1FfD_BwE

And it should be low enough to not interfere with the shift rods.
The inline bolt pattern is the early style tail housing, you can find them on eBay and swap it out with the later style you have with the wide mount.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

I spent some quality time under Stella the Comet yesterday. Measured the distance from trans flange to mounting bolts on the 3 speed.

Then crawled back out and looked at my new toploader with the side by side holes (tailhousing is a C6OR casting).

I still think I am going to have a cross member problem. Even if I get an original style tailhousing for the Comet/Falcon from DWT which would be C4DR.

UPDATE: I think I found the solution.

Falconparts.com

1961-1965 TRANSMISSION STEEL MOUNTS
SKU: TM1
This transmission mount will allow installation of the later model C-4 OR A.O.D. transmission into all models of the LATE 1961-1965 Ford Falcon & Mercury Comet. We have modified our popular C-4 Mount to now accept the A.O.D. transmission. There are now 4 holes in the base plate to accept either transmission. However, if using the mount to install an A.O.D. transmission, the base plate must be cut off due to interference with the A.O.D.'s transmission fluid pan. So, if you order the A.O.D. mount, it will have the shorter base plate as we will cut it for you. If you prefer to decide later which transmission to install, order the C-4 mount, knowing you can cut it later to fit the A.O.D.
The C-4 mount will also fit the T-10 and Toploader 4 speeds without modification.
It will not work in the 1960 - Early 1961 with the frame to frame transmission crossmember mount.
Raw metal, not painted

Price: $79.95