Source for C5GY-5420908-A & B Retainers?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kevinshi

Source for C5GY-5420908-A & B Retainers?

Post by kevinshi »

Hello -

Anyone know of a source for replacement retainers for 1965 exterior moulding strip that runs along the base of the windows (MPC part numbers C5GY-5420908-A & B)?

See below MPC illustration - parts H & J. Also see the pictures I took of the ones that came off my car.

I have scoured dozens of parts sites (per this post) but come up mostly dry:
  • H: The best I can come up with is J01986 from autofastco.net - the dimensions are correct (enough) but it is missing the insulation/seal/pad bit (any idea what that material is and/or ideas for how I could add it myself?)
  • J: I have found NOTHING remotely like this little clip anywhere... at this point I am thinking I might be fabricating these on my own...

Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Source for C5GY-5420908-A & B Retainers?

Post by lavron »

Not sure what the measure is on these but Mac's has several different ones, theses just happen to be for pick-ups
https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_truc ... ieces.html

You may not find ones with the correct part number but they might be serviceable.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Thanks Mike. Do you have any idea what the insulation is - how I might fashion my own on parts like those you point to at Mac's?
Thanks,
kevin

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

kevinshi wrote:Thanks Mike. Do you have any idea what the insulation is - how I might fashion my own on parts like those you point to at Mac's?
Not sure what that clip is for, is the material dried up caulking/seam sealer? I suppose you can make any of the clips yourself if you can't find a serviceable replacement, the flat clip would not be too difficult if you had a way to cut them out and then harden them like spring steel, I would guess you cut them out of some sort of spring steel but would be more difficult to drill and cut one would almost need to make up a steel stamp and use a press to just cut them if you needed to do a lot of them.

Some clips and hardware just don't exist and are replaced with something similar, one thing I noted recently while working on the front core support replacement was the fender clips between the Nov. '63 Comet and my May '64 car is the early one had clips that used a square nut attached to the clip base and the later were one piece threaded clips, so even in cars of the same model year can use different fastener styles in the same places depending on when they were built or if they ran out of one particular style and replaced it with a different one.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Uggh I am in the same boat,lots of similar clips but nothing seem just right or look good but are prohibitively expensive to take a chance on ordering to Canada only to find out I wasted another $60 bucks. The closest thing I have seen to a similar consistency is mastic tape.Sticky enough to stay in place, conformable to shape ,and offers some sealing .. something like this product
https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/S-1 ... _medium=pl

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Why do you suppose they used insulation originally?

I am thinking anti-rattle and/or perhaps it was a way to speed up the factory line - such that these little brackets had a bit of friction and not sliding all over the place when the strip was pressed against the door?
Thanks,
kevin

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

This supplier has a vast assortment of automotive hardware:
https://www.autofastco.net/universal_ml ... eners.html
Also you could try this company: https://www.amkproducts.com/bulk-fasten ... ookup=8220

Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

A/FX wrote:This supplier has a vast assortment of automotive hardware: https://www.autofastco.net/universal_ml ... eners.html. Also you could try this company: https://www.amkproducts.com/bulk-fasten ... ookup=8220
Jim
Thanks Jim. Having looked again (thank's for the links) I believe I had already studied all of those. None of them is exactly right: The critical dimension is 11/16 (.6875) which is the length of the shorter side (e.g. taken from the rounded edge to the opposite flat edge). 11/16 is the width of the insert into which these slide into the molding itself. If the fastener is any shorter it will fall out, any longer it won't slide in. The other dimension is not very important - as long as that first side is 11/16 then it can't really be too wide or narrow on the second side.

Autofastco's J02164 is close. It has an 11/16 dimension.... but unfortunately it's on the wrong side :-/. I guess I could consider using it "sideways" however I think the holes in the door under the windows that are suppose to receive the clip are rectangular (but maybe they are round... I will check that...). I guess it is possible I could modify the fastener by twisting the inserted portion... but I'm skeptical that is going to work very well...

Meanwhile, as I mention above, Autofastco's J01986 is, I think, workable - the critical dimension on it is 3/4 so it might be too long but I could probably compress 1/16 out of them manually. However even then these don't have that little insulation pad... (and perhaps per above suggestion the best approach is to try and add that pad to this fastener...).

I don't think any of the AMK ones are workable - unless I missed something I think they are all either two short or two long on that critical dimension. Yesterday I sent an email to Restoration Specialties as they have a few that look close as well however (a) they do not list dimensions on their website and (b) they claim to stock a number of fasteners that aren't listed on their website. Hopefully they have a suggestion...
Thanks,
kevin

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Restoration Specialties' paper catalog has pics of their clips that are actual size.That's where I got mine.Don't worry about the insulation.Serves no purpose that I could see.It's just a piece of foam that if you're lucky,is still on there when you're done.I feel your pain because I too have been caught up in the "correctness" game on stuff that nobody will ever see or know about.I outgrew it though. :)

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

vicegrip wrote:Restoration Specialties' paper catalog has pics of their clips that are actual size.That's where I got mine.Don't worry about the insulation.Serves no purpose that I could see.It's just a piece of foam that if you're lucky,is still on there when you're done.I feel your pain because I too have been caught up in the "correctness" game on stuff that nobody will ever see or know about.I outgrew it though. :)
I will ask for their paper catalog! (Out grow it?!?! ;-))
Thanks,
kevin

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Last week I received the Restoration Specialties 2018 Catalog. Meanwhile I recently received a response to the email I had sent them previously. I just got off the phone with Jeff (at extension 1753).

C5GY-5420908-A: Restoration has this however it is an unnumbered part (though it is illustrated in the catalog on the top/right of page 138). As per the comment in the catalog, these come in various sizes. The one that (hopefully) fits the '65 Comets is 3/4" wide.

C5GY-5420908-B: Restoration part number 88143. Per the above discussion wondering why there was insulation on this part, Jeff explained that it was installed to prevent water from leaking through holes in the car's body (and into the interior of the door/quarter panel). He commented that it was a poor engineering decision (i.e. it didn't work) and recommended using 3M Strip Caulk or the like to plug the holes on installation.
Thanks,
kevin

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

These guys are the real deal.Rarely ever let me down on oddball stuff like molding clips.