Overheating Help I think?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
64Hula

Overheating Help I think?

Post by 64Hula »

Hey all, SO I have had my new to me 1964 Caliente Convertible for about a week, rebuilt 289 with a mild cam and less than 2200 miles on it, rebuild C4 with less than 400 miles on it, bought it and drove it home on a cool night on the freeway for over 40 minutes and no issues. Then my next drive it was 85 out and drove it about 15 minutes, parked it for about 10 then went to start it and when went to go into reverse it would bog down and die. Got going and it was ok and about 20 minutes later the transmission started to shift from 2-3 harder than normal, nothing crazy but could keel it. Got home went to back into the garage and it bogged and dies 3 times. Parked it and then notice coolant from the overflow tube on the ground. I bit later checked the radiator and the coolant level was up to the top.

OK, I am new to the older era cars, I replace the thermostat and drove it today and it did the bogging again.

My gauge cluster temp gauge doesn't work so that isn't helping either, but that is getting fixed ASAP.

Please help and or ideas? New Radiator? Since the transmission has cooler lines to the Rad was thinking that may the issue????

Thanks
Scott

Groover

Re: Overheating Help I think?

Post by Groover »

I'm not an expert, but nothing in that description makes me think radiator?

Does it die while in gear/in motion, or just die while idling?

My first guess is carburetor (boiling the fuel, vacuum leak that presents once warmed up, etc.)

In any event, a good investment would be one of those infrared temp sensors. You can get one at Lowes or Home Depot for about $30.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/General-Tools- ... er/3136869

That way you can see if anything is too hot. Your temp guage once working will only tell you about the coolant, but nothing about the trans.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

64Hula

Post by 64Hula »

It idles good, and only seems to die when I out it into reverse when it is hot. When it is cool or freshly started it doesn't die in reverse, the idle gets a little rougher when hot but nothing crazy, I assumed radiator/ cooing system since it overflowed coolant. I am so new these were just my thoughts.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

what carb is on it.....how much lope is in the cam at idle ? how good does it start ?
pop/glenda

64Hula

Post by 64Hula »

popscomet wrote:what carb is on it.....how much lope is in the cam at idle ? how good does it start ?
The carb is an Edlebrock 4 barrell, my neighbor thinks it is a 650, he is givving me a HOLEY 600 to put on it if I want it. The cam no idea about the lope, at idle at a stop light it has just a little/slight lope I guess it what you call it, at idle and very slow crawl is sounds mean. Sometimes it fires right and some times you have to pump it several times then when it starts to catch give it more gas then it will settle down. 1 time is died after putting it into gear but that was right after start up I figure I needed to let it sit for a few more seconds.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

64Hula wrote:
popscomet wrote:what carb is on it.....how much lope is in the cam at idle ? how good does it start ?
The carb is an Edlebrock 4 barrell, my neighbor thinks it is a 650, he is givving me a HOLEY 600 to put on it if I want it. The cam no idea about the lope, at idle at a stop light it has just a little/slight lope I guess it what you call it, at idle and very slow crawl is sounds mean. Sometimes it fires right and some times you have to pump it several times then when it starts to catch give it more gas then it will settle down. 1 time is died after putting it into gear but that was right after start up I figure I needed to let it sit for a few more seconds.
and if that edle
try to fix what you have 1st,,,,sounds to me you need to do some adjusting on the carb and resit the timeing,,sounds like it's slow,,and if that edelbrock had sit much,the acc pump has dried up,,,if you don't know very much about it,you'd be better off to take it to someone who does,,OL POP ain't putting you down but it makes it hard to try and help....and if that holley hasn't been in use in awhile ,,it needs to come apart and cleaned and put back together with a new kit before you bolt it on..right now you can start it let it warm up....take air cleaner off,while at idle ,cup your hands together and put over top of carb,,try to choke the motor down and make it die,,if you can,more then likely you do not have a vacuum lrak,but if motor keeps on running you have a vacuum leak somewhere,,,this old school and that's what pop is,,,OLD.. :lol:
pop/glenda

64Hula

Post by 64Hula »

Thanks for the info pops. No offense taken at all. I would love to learn and do it myself but I am leaning towards the less stressful way right and taking it to a shop and done right. I will try the hands over the Carb but and at least maybe narrow it down. Thanks again for the advice